Anne C. Kirchhoff, PhD, MPH
- Cancer Survivorship
- Childhood Cancer
- Late Effects
- Departments: Nursing - Adjunct Instructor, Pediatrics - Associate Professor, Population Health Sciences - Adjunct Associate Professor
- Divisions: Health System Innovation and Research, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Cancer Center Programs: Cancer Control & Population Sciences
Anne C. Kirchhoff, PhD, MPH is a tenured Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine and a Huntsman Cancer Institute Investigator in the Cancer Control and Population Sciences Research Program. As a health services researcher, her program primarily concerns evaluating patient outcomes related to healthcare access and cancer late effects, and developing interventions for childhood, adolescent and young adult cancer survivors, with a focus on addressing the social and financial consequences of cancer. Dr. Kirchhoff leads a range of studies from interventions at Huntsman Cancer Institute and Primary Children’s Hospital to statewide analyses of survivor outcomes using the Utah Population Database. Her research interests also include using large, population-based surveys to examine socioeconomic outcomes of cancer survivors. Dr. Kirchhoff has a strong history of funding as a Principal Investigator from both institutional grant support and external funding via the NIH and foundations, including an NCI R01 to develop and test insurance educational materials for adolescents and young adults with cancer. Since 2007, she has collaborated with and led several studies with the national Childhood Cancer Survivor Study (CCSS). Most recently, she is a Co-Investigator of an American Cancer Society grant to test an insurance navigation program with survivors recruited from this cohort.
Dr. Kirchhoff completed her doctoral degree in the Department of Health Services at the University of Washington School of Public Health, where she was funded by the National Cancer Institute’s R25 Education and Career Development Program. She also received her MPH in Health Education and Behavioral Science from the School of Public Health at Saint Louis University.
|Research Fellow||Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Biobehavioral Cancer Prevention and Control NCI R25 Training Program
|Doctoral Training||University of Washington School of Public Health
|Graduate Training||Saint Louis University School of Public Health
Behavioral Science/Health Education
|Internship||Association of Schools of Public Health
Summer Internship Program Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Anthropology and Psychology
- Ou JY, Warner EL, Nam GE, Martel L, Carbajal-Salisbury S, Fuentes V, Wetter DW, Kirchhoff AC, Kepka D (2018). Colorectal cancer knowledge and screening adherence among low-income Hispanic employees. Health Educ Res, 34(4), 400-414.
- Blackburn BE, Soisson S, Rowe K, Snyder J, Fraser A, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Smith K, Herget K, Kirchhoff AC, Kepka D, Werner TL, Gaffney D, Mooney K, Hashibe M (2019). Prognostic factors for rural endometrial cancer patients in a population-based cohort. BMC Public Health, 19(1), 921.
- Kaul S, Kirchhoff AC (2019). Closing the financial toxicity gap for adolescents and young adults with cancer. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 66(7), e27742.
- Holowatyj AN, Lewis MA, Pannier ST, Kirchhoff AC, Hardikar S, Figueiredo JC, Huang LC, Shibata D, Schmit SL, Ulrich CM (2019). Clinicopathologic and Racial/Ethnic Differences of Colorectal Cancer Among Adolescents and Young Adults. Clin Transl Gastroenterol, 10(7), e00059.
- Garvin JH, Herget KA, Hashibe M, Kirchhoff AC, Hawley CW, Bolton D, Sweeney C (2019). Linkage between Utah All Payers Claims Database and Central Cancer Registry. Health Serv Res, 54(3), 707-713.
- Millar MM, Kinney AY, Camp NJ, Cannon-Albright LA, Hashibe M, Penson DF, Kirchhoff AC, Neklason DW, Gilsenan AW, Dieck GS, Stroup AM, Edwards SL, Bateman C, Carter ME, Sweeney C (2018). Predictors of Response Outcomes for Research Recruitment Through a Central Cancer Registry: Evidence From 17 Recruitment Efforts for Population-Based Studies. Am J Epidemiol, 188(5), 928-939.
- Pannier ST, Mann K, Warner EL, Rosen S, Acharya A, Hacking C, Gerdy C, Wright J, Wu YP, Kirchhoff AC (2019). Survivorship care plan experiences among childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia patients and their families. BMC Pediatr, 19(1), 111.
- Ou JY, Hanson HA, Ramsay JM, Leiser CL, Zhang Y, VanDerslice JA, Pope CA 3rd, Kirchhoff AC (2019). Fine Particulate Matter and Respiratory Healthcare Encounters among Survivors of Childhood Cancers. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 16(6).
- Kirchhoff AC, Mann K, Warner EL, Kaddas HK, Fair D, Fluchel M, Knackstedt ED, Kepka D (2019). HPV vaccination knowledge, intentions, and practices among caregivers of childhood cancer survivors. Hum Vaccin Immunother, 15(7-8), 1767-1775.
- Zamora ER, Kaul S, Kirchhoff AC, Gwilliam V, Jimenez OA, Morreall DK, Montenegro RE, Kinney AY, Fluchel MN (2016). The impact of language barriers and immigration status on the care experience for Spanish-speaking caregivers of patients with pediatric cancer. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 63(12), 2173-2180.
- Mangum DS, Verma A, Weng C, Sheng X, Larsen R, Kirchhoff AC, Druzgal C, Fluchel M (2013). A comparison of central lines in pediatric oncology patients: Early removal and patient centered outcomes. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 60(11), 1890-5.
- Ramsey S, Blough D, Kirchhoff A, Kreizenbeck K, Fedorenko C, Snell K, Newcomb P, Hollingworth W, Overstreet K (2013). Washington State cancer patients found to be at greater risk for bankruptcy than people without a cancer diagnosis. Health Aff (Millwood), 32(6), 1143-52.
- Kirchhoff AC, Lyles CR, Fluchel M, Wright J, Leisenring W (2012). Limitations in health care access and utilization among long-term survivors of adolescent and young adult cancer. Cancer, 118(23), 5964-72.
- Kirchhoff AC, Yi J, Wright J, Warner EL, Smith KR (2012). Marriage and divorce among young adult cancer survivors. J Cancer Surviv, 6(4), 441-50.
- Park ER, Kirchhoff AC, Zallen JP, Weissman JS, Pajolek H, Mertens AC, Armstrong GT, Robison LL, Donelan K, Recklitis CJ, Diller LR, Kuhlthau KA (2012). Childhood Cancer Survivor Study participants' perceptions and knowledge of health insurance coverage: implications for the Affordable Care Act. J Cancer Surviv, 6(3), 251-9.
- Kirchhoff AC, Krull KR, Ness KK, Armstrong GT, Park ER, Stovall M, Robison LL, Leisenring W (2011). Physical, mental, and neurocognitive status and employment outcomes in the childhood cancer survivor study cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 20(9), 1838-49.
- Kirchhoff AC, Krull KR, Ness KK, Park ER, Oeffinger KC, Hudson MM, Stovall M, Robison LL, Wickizer T, Leisenring W (2011). Occupational outcomes of adult childhood cancer survivors: A report from the childhood cancer survivor study. Cancer, 117(13), 3033-44.
- Kirchhoff AC, Leisenring W, Krull KR, Ness KK, Friedman DL, Armstrong GT, Stovall M, Park ER, Oeffinger KC, Hudson MM, Robison LL, Wickizer T (2010). Unemployment among adult survivors of childhood cancer: a report from the childhood cancer survivor study. Med Care, 48(11), 1015-25.
- Kirchhoff AC, Leisenring W, Syrjala KL (2010). Prospective predictors of return to work in the 5 years after hematopoietic cell transplantation. J Cancer Surviv, 4(1), 33-44.