Erica F. Andersen, PhD, FACMG
- Constitutional and Acquired Genetic Abnormalities
- Heritable Genetic Conditions
- Hematologic Neoplasms
- Departments: Pathology - Assistant Professor (Clinical)
- Divisions: Clinical Pathology
- American Board of Medical Genetics (Clinical Cytogenetics)
Academic Office Information
500 S Chipeta Way, Room: MS-H01
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Erica Andersen is an Assistant Professor of Pathology at the University of Utah and Section Chief of the Cytogenetics and Genomic Microarray Laboratories at ARUP Laboratories in Salt Lake City, Utah. She received a PhD in Genetics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and completed a Clinical Cytogenetics fellowship at ARUP Laboratories and the University of Utah. She is board certified by the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics and is a fellow of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics. Dr. Andersen's research and professional interests include improving diagnostic and interpretative tools for cytogenetic and genomic testing, including copy number variant interpretation. She is an active member of the Clinical Genome Resource (ClinGen) and has published novel genetic findings in hereditary disease and in rare hematologic and lymphoid tumors.
Erica Andersen is an Assistant Professor of Pathology at the University of Utah and Section Chief of the Cytogenetics and Genomic Microarray Laboratories at ARUP Laboratories in Salt Lake City, Utah. She received a PhD in Genetics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and completed a Clinical Cytogenetics fellowship at ARUP Laboratories and the University of Utah. She is board certified by the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics and is a fellow of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics. Dr. Andersen's research interests span both heritable and acquired genetic diseases. She has published novel genetic findings in association with developmental disorders and is an active member of the Clinical Genome Resource (ClinGen) group's efforts to improve constitutional copy number variant interpretation in the clinical setting. Her genetic oncology research projects include improving the diagnosis and monitoring for hematologic disease and understanding the genetic etiology of rare hematologic tumors, including histiocytic and dendritic cell neoplasms.
|Fellowship||University of Utah and ARUP Laboratories
|Doctoral Training||University of Wisconsin-Madison
Major: Biology-Genetics, Cell Biology, and Development; Core/Minor: Chemistry
- Riggs ER, Andersen EF, Cherry AM, Kantarci S, Kearney H, Patel A, Raca G, Ritter DI, South ST, Thorland EC, Pineda-Alvarez D, Aradhya S, Martin CL (2019). Technical standards for the interpretation and reporting of constitutional copy-number variants: a joint consensus recommendation of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ACMG) and the Clinical Genome Resource (ClinGen). 2019 Nov 6. doi: 10.1038/s41436-019-0686-8. [Epub ahead of print]. Genet Med.
- Paulraj P, Bosworth M, Longhurst M, Hornbuckle C, Gotway G, Lamb AN, Andersen EF (2019). A Novel Homozygous Deletion within the FRY Gene Associated with Nonsyndromic Developmental Delay. 2019 Sep 6. doi: 10.1159/000502598. [Epub ahead of print]. Cytogenet Genome Res.
- Paulraj P, Diamond S, Razzaqi F, Ozeran D, Andersen E, Toydemir R, Hong B (2019). Pediatric acute myeloid leukemia with t(7;21)(p22;q22). PubMed PMID: 30706625. Genes Chromosomes Cancer, 58(8), 551-557.
- Riggs ER, Nelson T, Merz A, Ackley T, Bunke B, Collins CD, Collinson MN, Fan Y, Goodenberger ML, Golden DM, Haglund-Hazy L, Krgovic D, Lamb AN, Lewis Z, Li G, Liu Y, Meck J, Neufeld-Kaiser W, Runke CL, Sanmann JN, Stavropoulos DJ, Strong E, Su M, Tayeh MK, Vokac NK, Thorland EC, Andersen E, Martin CL (2018). Copy number variant discrepancy resolution using the ClinGen dosage sensitivity map results in updated clinical interpretations in ClinVar. Hum Mutat, 39(11), 1650-1659.
- Zhou XA, Louissaint A Jr, Wenzel A, Yang J, Martinez-Escala ME, Moy AP, Morgan EA, Paxton CN, Hong B, Andersen EF, Guitart J, Behdad A, Cerroni L, Weinstock DM, Choi J (2018). Genomic Analyses Identify Recurrent Alterations in Immune Evasion Genes in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma, Leg Type. J Invest Dermatol, 138(11), 2365-2376.
- Herriges JC, Brown S, Longhurst M, Ozmore J, Moeschler J, Janze A, Meck J, South S, Andersen EF (2019). Identification of two 14q32 deletions involving DICER1 associated with the development of DICER1-related tumors. Eur J Med Genet, 62(1), 9-14.
- Paxton CN, OMalley DP, Bellizzi AM, Alkapalan D, Fedoriw Y, Hornick JL, Perkins SL, South ST, Andersen EF (2017). Genetic evaluation of juvenile xanthogranuloma: genomic abnormalities are uncommon in solitary lesions, advanced cases may show more complexity. PubMed PMID: 28752840. Mod Pathol, 30(9), 1234-1240.
- Andersen EF, Paxton CN, OMalley DP, Louissaint Jr A, Hornick JL, Griffin GK, Fedoriw Y, Kim YS, Weiss LM, Perkins SL, South ST (2017). Genomic analysis of follicular dendritic cell sarcoma by molecular inversion probe array reveals tumor suppressor-driven biology. PubMed PMID: 28621320. Mod Pathol, 30(9), 1321-1334.
- Andersen EF, Baldwin EE, Ellingwood S, Smith R, Lamb AN (2014). Xq28 duplication overlapping the int22h-1/int22h-2 region and including RAB39B and CLIC2 in a family with intellectual and developmental disability. Am J Med Genet A, 164A(7), 1795-801.
- Andersen EF, Carey JC, Earl DL, Corzo D, Suttie M, Hammond P, South ST (2014). Deletions involving genes WHSC1 and LETM1 may be necessary, but are not sufficient to cause Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome. Eur J Hum Genet, 22(4), 464-70.
- Andersen E, Burnside R, Coe B, Conlin L, Herriges J, Higginbotham T, Hilton B, Jobanputra V, Kearney H, Ouyang K, Paulraj P, Riggs E, Rowsey R, Speevak M, Thorland E, Zhang L, Martin C, on behalf of the Clinical Genome Resource ClinGen (June 2018). Dosage Sensitivity Curation of Recurrent Copy Number Variant Regions. 2018 American Cytogenomics Conference [Abstract]. Cancer Genetics, 224-225(August 2018), 61.
- Zockle J, Chandler B, Delgado K, Quigley D, Toydemir R, Andersen E (June 2018). An evidence-based approach to guide IGH-based reflex testing for plasma cell neoplasms. 2018 American Cytogenomics Conference [Abstract]. Cancer Genetics, 224-225(August 2018), 53.
- Paulraj P, Hilton B, Herriges J, Serrano M, Hong B, Andersen E, Lamb A, Xu X, Salama M, Toydemir RM (November 2017). Multi-year review of cytogenetic abnormalities in patients with Multiple Myeloma from a single institution and a proposed testing algorithm. [Abstract]. J Mol Diagn, 19(6), 963.
- Longhurst MC, Salama M, VanNess M, Kovacsovics TJ, Rodgers GM, Shami PJ, Deininger MW, South ST, Andersen EF (November 2016). Increased sensitivity for detection of genomic abnormalities from plasma cell-free DNA in myelodysplastic syndromes by SNP-Array [Abstract]. The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, 18(6), 1052.
- Andersen EF, Salama ME, Sederberg MC, Toydemir RM, Kovacsovics TJ, Parker CJ, Rodgers GM, Shami PJ, Deininger MW, South ST (April 2015). Evaluating the clinical utility of peripheral blood samples for molecular evaluation of MDS by SNP-A [Abstract]. Leukemia Research, 39(Supp 1), S72.
- Andersen EF, Baldwin EE, Ellingswood S, Smith R, Lamb A (2012). Duplication Xq28 and Deletion of SHOX in a family with short stature, intellectual and developmental disability, Poster [Abstract].
- Andersen EF (11/15/2018). Clinical Cytogenetic Testing: Applications in Constitutional and Oncology Settings [Video]. Salt Lake City: University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, and ARUP Laboratories, Institute for Learning. Available: arup.utah.edu/education/andersen-conCyto-2018.php/.
- Andersen EF (06/06/2018). Introduction to Cytogenetics [Video]. Salt Lake City: University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, and ARUP Laboratories, Institute for Learning. Available: arup.utah.edu/education/andersen-introCyto-2018.php/.
- Andersen EF (06/01/2016). Genomic Microarray in Constitutional and Oncology Settings [Video]. Salt Lake City: University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Pathology and ARUP Laboratories, Institute for Learning. Available: arup.utah.edu/education/genomicMicroarray.php/.