Clinton C. Mason, PhD
- Cancer Genomics
- Clonal Hematopoiesis
- Genomic Analysis
- Pediatric Cancers
- Statistical Genetics
- Departments: Pediatrics - Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Academic Office Information
417 Wakara Way, Room: Room 3117
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Clinton C. Mason, PhD is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Hematology & Oncology, at the University of Utah.
Dr. Mason received his undergraduate training in Physics at Brigham Young University followed by a PhD in Applied Mathematics from Arizona State University in 2006 (emphasis in Differential Equations and Mathematical Biology), with dissertation work modeling the longitudinal development of type 2 diabetes. He then enjoyed a postdoctoral fellowship for 5 years with the National Institutes of Health with training in bioinformatics, biostatistics, epidemiology, and diabetes physiology. Following this fellowship, Dr. Mason worked at the Huntsman Cancer Institute as a bioinformatics data analyst for investigators studying leukemia and familial cancers.
Dr. Mason is focused on understanding pediatric cancers as well as other diseases through genome-wide investigations. This research includes the assessment of healthy cohorts for clonal hematopoiesis to better understand the mutational processes that lead to cancer onset. His work also includes the identification of essential genes in hematologic malignancies which have potential for being therapeutic targets through the design and analysis of large shRNA screens.
|Fellowship||National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Epidemiology
|Doctoral Training||Arizona State University
Differential Equations and Mathematical Biology
|Undergraduate||Brigham Young University
Physics, Minor: Mathematics
- Khalifa A, Mason CC, Garvin JH, Williams MS, Del Fiol G, Jackson BR, Bleyl SB, Huff SM (2021). A qualitative investigation of biomedical informatics interoperability standards for genetic test reporting: benefits, challenges, and motivations from the testing laboratory's perspective. (Epub ahead of print) Genet Med.
- Mangum DS, Meyer JA, Mason CC, Shams S, Maese LD, Gardiner JD, Downie JM, Pei D, Cheng C, Gleason A, Luo M, Pui CH, Aplenc R, Hunger SP, Loh M, Greaves M, Trede N, Raetz E, Frazer JK, Mullighan CG, Engel ME, Miles RR, Rabin KR, Schiffman JD (2021). Association of Combined Focal 22q11.22 Deletion and IKZF1 Alterations With Outcomes in Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. (Epub ahead of print) JAMA Oncol.
- Panza E, Ozenberger BB, Straessler KM, Barrott JJ, Li L, Wang Y, Xie M, Boulet A, Titen SW, Mason CC, Lazar AJ, Ding L, Capecchi MR, Jones KB (2020). The clear cell sarcoma functional genomic landscape. J Clin Invest, 131(15).
- Khalifa A, Mason CC, Garvin JH, Williams MS, Del Fiol G, Jackson BR, Bleyl SB, Huff SM (2021). A qualitative study of prevalent laboratory information systems and data communication patterns for genetic test reporting. (Epub ahead of print) Genet Med.
- Feusier JE, Arunachalam S, Tashi T, Baker MJ, VanSant-Webb C, Ferdig A, Welm BE, Rodriguez-Flores JL, Ours C, Jorde LB, Prchal JT, Mason CC (2021). Large-Scale Identification of Clonal Hematopoiesis and Mutations Recurrent in Blood Cancers. Blood Cancer Discov, 2(3), 226-237.
- Yan D, Franzini A, Pomicter AD, Halverson BJ, Antelope O, Mason CC, Ahmann JM, Senina AV, Vellore NA, Jones CL, Zabriskie MS, Than H, Xiao MJ, van Scoyk A, Patel AB, Clair PM, Heaton WL, Owen SC, Andersen JL, Egbert CM, Reisz JA, DAlessandro A, Cox JE, Gantz KC, Redwine HM, Iyer SM, Khorashad JS, Rajabi N, Olsen CA, OHare T, Deininger MW (2019). SIRT5 IS A DRUGGABLE METABOLIC VULNERABILITY IN ACUTE MYELOID LEUKEMIA. Blood Cancer Discov, 2(3), 266-287.
- Mason CC, Fiol CR, Baker MJ, Nadal-Melsio E, Yebra-Fernandez E, Bicalho L, Chowdhury A, Albert M, Reid AG, Claudiani S, Apperley JF, Khorashad JS (2020). Identification of genetic targets in acute myeloid leukaemia for designing targeted therapy. Br J Haematol, 192(1), 137-145.
- McClellan D, Casey MJ, Bareyan D, Lucente H, Ours C, Velinder M, Singer J, Lone MD, Sun W, Coria Y, Mason CC, Engel ME (2019). Growth Factor Independence 1B-Mediated Transcriptional Repression and Lineage Allocation Require Lysine-Specific Demethylase 1-Dependent Recruitment of the BHC Complex. Mol Cell Biol, 39(13).
- Yan D, Pomicter AD, Tantravahi S, Mason CC, Senina AV, Ahmann JM, Wang Q, Than H, Patel AB, Heaton WL, Eiring AM, Clair PM, Gantz KC, Redwine HM, Swierczek SI, Halverson BJ, Baloglu E, Shacham S, Khorashad JS, Kelley TW, Salama ME, Miles RR, Boucher KM, Prchal JT, OHare T, Deininger MW (2018). Nuclear-Cytoplasmic Transport Is a Therapeutic Target in Myelofibrosis. Clin Cancer Res, 25(7), 2323-2335.
- Bruggers CS, Baranowski S, Beseris M, Leonard R, Long D, Schulte E, Shorter A, Stigner R, Mason CC, Bedrov A, Pascual I, Bulaj G (2018). A Prototype Exercise-Empowerment Mobile Video Game for Children With Cancer, and Its Usability Assessment: Developing Digital Empowerment Interventions for Pediatric Diseases. Front Pediatr, 6, 69.
- Mason CC (2017). Four study design principles for genetic investigations using next generation sequencing. BMJ, 359, j4069.
- Meyer JA, Zhou D, Mason CC, Downie JM, Rodic V, Abromowitch M, Wistinghausen B, Termuhlen AM, Angiolillo AL, Perkins SL, Lones MA, Barnette P, Schiffman JD, Miles RR (2017). Genomic characterization of pediatric B-lymphoblastic lymphoma and B-lymphoblastic leukemia using formalin-fixed tissues.LID - 10.1002/pbc.26363 [doi]. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 64(7).
- Grice BA, Nelson RG, Williams DE, Knowler WC, Mason C, Hanson RL, Bullard KM, Pavkov ME (2017). Associations between persistent organic pollutants, type 2 diabetes, diabetic nephropathy and mortality. Occup Environ Med, 74(7), 521-527.
- Patel S, Mason CC, Glenn MJ, Paxton CN, South ST, Cessna MH, Asch J, Cobain EF, Bixby DL, Smith LB, Reshmi S, Gastier-Foster JM, Schiffman JD, Miles RR (2017). Genomic analysis of adult B-ALL identifies potential markers of shorter survival. Leuk Res, 56, 44-51.
- Pflieger LT, Mason CC, Facelli JC (2017). Uncertainty quantification in breast cancer risk prediction models using self-reported family health history. J Clin Transl Sci, 1(1), 53-59.
- Mason CC, Khorashad JS, Tantravahi SK, Kelley TW, Zabriskie MS, Yan D, Pomicter AD, Reynolds KR, Eiring AM, Kronenberg Z, Sherman RL, Tyner JW, Dalley BK, Dao KH, Yandell M, Druker BJ, Gotlib J, OHare T, Deininger MW (2016). Age-related mutations and chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. Leukemia, 30(4), 906-13.
- Eiring AM, Khorashad JS, Anderson DJ, Yu F, Redwine HM, Mason CC, Reynolds KR, Clair PM, Gantz KC, Zhang TY, Pomicter AD, Kraft IL, Bowler AD, Johnson K, Partlin MM, OHare T, Deininger MW (2015). β-Catenin is required for intrinsic but not extrinsic BCR-ABL1 kinase-independent resistance to tyrosine kinase inhibitors in chronic myeloid leukemia. Leukemia, 29(12), 2328-37.
- Cohen A, Sato M, Aldape K, Mason CC, Alfaro-Munoz K, Heathcock L, South ST, Abegglen LM, Schiffman JD, Colman H (2015). DNA copy number analysis of Grade II-III and Grade IV gliomas reveals differences in molecular ontogeny including chromothripsis associated with IDH mutation status. Acta Neuropathol Commun, 3, 34.
- Khorashad JS, Eiring AM, Mason CC, Gantz KC, Bowler AD, Redwine HM, Yu F, Kraft IL, Pomicter AD, Reynolds KR, Iovino AJ, Zabriskie MS, Heaton WL, Tantravahi SK, Kauffman M, Shacham S, Chenchik A, Bonneau K, Ullman KS, OHare T, Deininger MW (2015). shRNA library screening identifies nucleocytoplasmic transport as a mediator of BCR-ABL1 kinase-independent resistance. Blood, 125(11), 1772-81.
- Eiring AM, Page BDG, Kraft IL, Mason CC, Vellore NA, Resetca D, Zabriskie MS, Zhang TY, Khorashad JS, Engar AJ, Reynolds KR, Anderson DJ, Senina A, Pomicter AD, Arpin CC, Ahmad S, Heaton WL, Tantravahi SK, Todic A, Moriggl R, Wilson DJ, Baron R, OHare T, Gunning PT, Deininger MW (2015). Combined STAT3 and BCR-ABL1 inhibition induces synthetic lethality in therapy-resistant chronic myeloid leukemia. Leukemia, 29(3), 586-597.
- Grice BA, Mason CC, Weil EJ, Knowler WC, Pomeroy J (2013). The relationship between insulin sensitivity and maximal oxygen uptake is confounded by method of adjustment for body composition. Diab Vasc Dis Res, 10(6), 530-5.
- Kim NH, Mason CC, Nelson RG, Afton SE, Essader AS, Medlin JE, Levine KE, Hoppin JA, Lin C, Knowler WC, Sandler DP (2013). Arsenic exposure and incidence of type 2 diabetes in Southwestern American Indians. Am J Epidemiol, 177(9), 962-9.
- Khorashad JS, Kelley TW, Szankasi P, Mason CC, Soverini S, Adrian LT, Eide CA, Zabriskie MS, Lange T, Estrada JC, Pomicter AD, Eiring AM, Kraft IL, Anderson DJ, Gu Z, Alikian M, Reid AG, Foroni L, Marin D, Druker BJ, OHare T, Deininger MW (2013). BCR-ABL1 compound mutations in tyrosine kinase inhibitor-resistant CML: frequency and clonal relationships. Blood, 121(3), 489-98.
- Traurig MT, Orczewska JI, Ortiz DJ, Bian L, Marinelarena AM, Kobes S, Malhotra A, Hanson RL, Mason CC, Knowler WC, Bogardus C, Baier LJ (2013). Evidence for a role of LPGAT1 in influencing BMI and percent body fat in Native Americans. Obesity (Silver Spring), 21(1), 193-202.
- Weil EJ, Lemley KV, Mason CC, Yee B, Jones LI, Blouch K, Lovato T, Richardson M, Myers BD, Nelson RG (2012). Podocyte detachment and reduced glomerular capillary endothelial fenestration promote kidney disease in type 2 diabetic nephropathy. Kidney Int, 82(9), 1010-7.
- Florez JC, Jablonski KA, McAteer JB, Franks PW, Mason CC, Mather K, Horton E, Goldberg R, Dabelea D, Kahn SE, Arakaki RF, Shuldiner AR, Knowler WC, Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group (2012). Effects of genetic variants previously associated with fasting glucose and insulin in the Diabetes Prevention Program. PLoS ONE, 7(9), e44424.
- Jumpertz R, Guijarro A, Pratley RE, Mason CC, Piomelli D, Krakoff J (2012). Associations of fatty acids in cerebrospinal fluid with peripheral glucose concentrations and energy metabolism. PLoS ONE, 7(7), e41503.
- Pavkov ME, Knowler WC, Lemley KV, Mason CC, Myers BD, Nelson RG (2012). Early renal function decline in type 2 diabetes. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, 7(1), 78-84.
- Dong Y, Guo T, Traurig M, Mason CC, Kobes S, Perez J, Knowler WC, Bogardus C, Hanson RL, Baier LJ (2011). SIRT1 is associated with a decrease in acute insulin secretion and a sex specific increase in risk for type 2 diabetes in Pima Indians. Mol Genet Metab, 104(4), 661-5.
- Williams RC, Muller YL, Hanson RL, Knowler WC, Mason CC, Bian L, Ossowski V, Wiedrich K, Chen YF, Marcovina S, Hahnke J, Nelson RG, Baier LJ, Bogardus C (2011). HLA-DRB1 reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus by increased insulin secretion. Diabetologia, 54(7), 1684-92.
- Mason CC, Hanson RL, Ossowski V, Bian L, Baier LJ, Krakoff J, Bogardus C (2011). Bimodal distribution of RNA expression levels in human skeletal muscle tissue. BMC Genomics, 12, 98.
- Dabelea D, DAgostino RB Jr, Mason CC, West N, Hamman RF, Mayer-Davis EJ, Maahs D, Klingensmith G, Knowler WC, Nadeau K (2011). Development, validation and use of an insulin sensitivity score in youths with diabetes: the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth study. Diabetologia, 54(1), 78-86.
- Bian L, Hanson RL, Ossowski V, Wiedrich K, Mason CC, Traurig M, Muller YL, Kobes S, Knowler WC, Baier LJ, Bogardus C (2010). Variants in ASK1 are associated with skeletal muscle ASK1 expression, in vivo insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes in Pima Indians. Diabetes, 59(5), 1276-82.
- Pavkov ME, Mason CC, Bennett PH, Curtis JM, Knowler WC, Nelson RG (2009). Change in the distribution of albuminuria according to estimated glomerular filtration rate in Pima Indians with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care, 32(10), 1845-50.
- Moore AF, Jablonski KA, Mason CC, McAteer JB, Arakaki RF, Goldstein BJ, Kahn SE, Kitabchi AE, Hanson RL, Knowler WC, Florez JC, Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group (2009). The association of ENPP1 K121Q with diabetes incidence is abolished by lifestyle modification in the diabetes prevention program. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 94(2), 449-55.
- Mason CC, Hanson RL, Knowler WC (2007). Progression to type 2 diabetes characterized by moderate then rapid glucose increases. Diabetes, 56(8), 2054-61.
- Li J, Kuang Y, Mason CC (2006). Modeling the glucose-insulin regulatory system and ultradian insulin secretory oscillations with two explicit time delays. J Theor Biol, 242(3), 722-35.
- Than H, Pomicter AD, Yan D, Beaver LP, Eiring AM, Heaton WL, Senina A, Clair PM, Shacham S, Mason CC, Hare TO, Deininger MW (2020). Coordinated inhibition of nuclear export and Bcr-Abl1 selectively targets chronic myeloid leukemia stem cells. [Letter to the editor]. Leukemia, 34(6), 1679-1683.
- Khorashad JS, Tantravahi SK, Yan D, Mason CC, Qiao Y, Eiring AM, Gligorich K, Hein T, Pomicter AD, Reid AG, Kelley TW, Marth GT, OHare T, Deininger MW (2016). Rapid conversion of chronic myeloid leukemia to chronic myelomonocytic leukemia in a patient on imatinib therapy. [Letter to the editor]. Leukemia, 30(11), 2275-2279.
- Mangum DS, Downie J, Mason CC, Jahromi MS, Joshi D, Rodic V, Mschen M, Meeker N, Trede N, Frazer JK, Zhou Y, Cheng C, Jeha S, Pui CH, Willman CL, Harvey RC, Hunger SP, Yang JJ, Barnette P, Mullighan CG, Miles RR, Schiffman JD (2014). VPREB1 deletions occur independent of lambda light chain rearrangement in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. [Letter to the editor]. Leukemia, 28(1), 216-20.