Matthew W. VanBrocklin, PhD
- Molecular Targets
- Carcinoma, Non-Small-Cell Lung
- Departments: Oncological Sciences - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Surgery - Associate Professor
- Divisions: General Surgery
Academic Office Information
Huntsman Cancer Hospital
1950 Circle of Hope, Room: 5280.1
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Matthew VanBrocklin, PhD, is an assistant professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Utah Hospital, an investigator at the Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI), and a member of the Cell Response and Regulation program.
At HCI, VanBrocklin researches novel therapeutic targets and signal transduction pathways (networks inside a cell that transmit outside signals to influence cellular responses) that are important for increasing survival in melanoma, non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), and brain tumors. He also aims to develop novel small peptide-based agents directed at therapeutic targets that are currently considered "undruggable".
Before joining HCI, VanBrocklin was a researcher at the Nevada Cancer Institute, where he completed a postdoctoral fellowship, established his own lab, and became a member of the Drug Development Division. He received a PhD in biomedical science from Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||Nevada Cancer Institute
|Doctoral Training||Western Michigan University
|Graduate Training||Mayo Graduate School
|Undergraduate||Western Michigan University
|Other Training||Bay de Noc Community College
- Shin CH, Robinson JP, Sonnen JA, Welker AE, Yu DX, VanBrocklin MW, Holmen SL (2017). HBEGF promotes gliomagenesis in the context of Ink4a/Arf and Pten loss. Oncogene, 36(32), 4610-4618.
- Yang H, Kircher DA, Kim KH, Grossmann AH, VanBrocklin MW, Holmen SL, Robinson JP (2017). Activated MEK cooperates with Cdkn2a and Pten loss to promote the development and maintenance of melanoma. Oncogene, 36(27), 3842-3851.
- Cohen AL, Ray A, Van Brocklin MW, Burnett DM, Bowen RC, Dyess DL, Butler TW, Dumlao T, Khong HT (2016). A Phase I trial of azacitidine and nanoparticle albumin bound paclitaxel in patients with advanced or metastatic solid tumors. Oncotarget.
- Ray A, Williams MA, Meek SM, Bowen RC, Grossmann KF, Andtbacka RH, Bowles TL, Hyngstrom JR, Leachman SA, Grossman D, Bowen GM, Holmen SL, VanBrocklin MW, Suneja G, Khong HT (2016). A phase I study of intratumoral ipilimumab and interleukin-2 in patients with advanced melanoma. Oncotarget, 7(39), 64390-64399.
- Cho JH, Robinson JP, Arave RA, Burnett WJ, Kircher DA, Chen G, Davies MA, Grossmann AH, VanBrocklin MW, McMahon M, Holmen SL (2015). AKT1 Activation Promotes Development of Melanoma Metastases. Cell Reports. Cell Rep, 13(5), 898-905.
- Melder DC, Pike GM, VanBrocklin MW, Federspiel MJ (2015). Model of the TVA receptor determinants required for efficient infection by subgroup A avian sarcoma and leukosis viruses. J Virol, 89(4), 2136-48.
- Robinson GL, Robinson JP, Lastwika KJ, Holmen SL, Vanbrocklin MW (2013). Akt signaling accelerates tumor recurrence following ras inhibition in the context of ink4a/arf loss. Genes Cancer, 4(11-12), 476-85.
- Vanbrocklin MW, Robinson JP, Lastwika KJ, McKinney AJ, Gach HM, Holmen SL (2012). Ink4a/Arf loss promotes tumor recurrence following Ras inhibition. Neuro Oncol, 14(1), 34-42.
- Robinson JP, Vanbrocklin MW, Lastwika KJ, McKinney AJ, Brandner S, Holmen SL (2011). Activated MEK cooperates with Ink4a/Arf loss or Akt activation to induce gliomas in vivo. Oncogene, 30(11), 1341-50.
- Robinson JP, Vanbrocklin MW, McKinney AJ, Gach HM, Holmen SL (2011). Akt signaling is required for glioblastoma maintenance in vivo. Am J Cancer Res, 1(2), 155-167.
- VanBrocklin MW, Robinson JP, Lastwika KJ, Khoury JD, Holmen SL (2010). Targeted delivery of NRASQ61R and Cre-recombinase to post-natal melanocytes induces melanoma in Ink4a/Arflox/lox mice. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res, 23(4), 531-41.
- Melnik MK, Webb CP, Richardson PJ, Luttenton CR, Campbell AD, Monroe TJ, ORourke TJ, Yost KJ, Szczepanek CM, Bassett MR, Truszkowski KJ, Stein P, Van Brocklin MW, Davis AT, Bedolla G, Vande Woude GF, Koo HM (2010). Phase II trial to evaluate gemcitabine and etoposide for locally advanced or metastatic pancreatic cancer. Mol Cancer Ther, 9(8), 2423-9.
- Robinson JP, VanBrocklin MW, Guilbeault AR, Signorelli DL, Brandner S, Holmen SL (2010). Activated BRAF induces gliomas in mice when combined with Ink4a/Arf loss or Akt activation. Oncogene, 29(3), 335-44.
- Vanbrocklin MW, Robinson JP, Whitwam T, Guilbeault AR, Koeman J, Swiatek PJ, Vande Woude GF, Khoury JD, Holmen SL (2009). Met amplification and tumor progression in Cdkn2a-deficient melanocytes. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res, 22(4), 454-60.
- VanBrocklin MW, Verhaegen M, Soengas MS, Holmen SL (2009). Mitogen-activated protein kinase inhibition induces translocation of Bmf to promote apoptosis in melanoma. Cancer Res, 69(5), 1985-94.
- Chen M, Granger AJ, Vanbrocklin MW, Payne WS, Hunt H, Zhang H, Dodgson JB, Holmen SL (2007). Inhibition of avian leukosis virus replication by vector-based RNA interference. Virology, 365(2), 464-72.
- Whitwam T, Vanbrocklin MW, Russo ME, Haak PT, Bilgili D, Resau JH, Koo HM, Holmen SL (2007). Differential oncogenic potential of activated RAS isoforms in melanocytes. Oncogene, 26(31), 4563-70.
- Verhaegen M, Bauer JA, Martin de la Vega C, Wang G, Wolter KG, Brenner JC, Nikolovska-Coleska Z, Bengtson A, Nair R, Elder JT, Van Brocklin M, Carey TE, Bradford CR, Wang S, Soengas MS (2006). A novel BH3 mimetic reveals a mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent mechanism of melanoma cell death controlled by p53 and reactive oxygen species. Cancer Res, 66(23), 11348-59.
- Orchekowski R, Hamelinck D, Li L, Gliwa E, vanBrocklin M, Marrero JA, Vande Woude GF, Feng Z, Brand R, Haab BB (2005). Antibody microarray profiling reveals individual and combined serum proteins associated with pancreatic cancer. Cancer Res, 65(23), 11193-202.
- Wang PF, Kong D, Van Brocklin MW, Peng J, Zhang C, Potter SJ, Gao X, Teh BT, Zhang N, Williams BO, Holmen SL (2005). Simplified method for the construction of gene targeting vectors for conditional gene inactivation in mice. Transgenics, 4(3), 215-218.
- Eisenmann KM, VanBrocklin MW, Staffend NA, Kitchen SM, Koo HM (2003). Mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway-dependent tumor-specific survival signaling in melanoma cells through inactivation of the proapoptotic protein bad. Cancer Res, 63(23), 8330-7.
- Koo HM, VanBrocklin M, McWilliams MJ, Leppla SH, Duesbery NS, Vande Woude GF (2002). Apoptosis and melanogenesis in human melanoma cells induced by anthrax lethal factor inactivation of mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 99(5), 3052-7.
- VanBrocklin M, Federspiel MJ (2000). Capsid-targeted viral inactivation can eliminate the production of infectious murine leukemia virus in vitro. Virology, 267(1), 111-23.
- Wilson CA, Wong S, VanBrocklin M, Federspiel MJ (2000). Extended analysis of the in vitro tropism of porcine endogenous retrovirus. J Virol, 74(1), 49-56.
- Schaefer-Klein J, Givol I, Barsov EV, Whitcomb JM, VanBrocklin M, Foster DN, Federspiel MJ, Hughes SH (1998). The EV-O-derived cell line DF-1 supports the efficient replication of avian leukosis-sarcoma viruses and vectors. Virology, 248(2), 305-11.
- VanBrocklin M, Ferris AL, Hughes SH, Federspiel MJ (1997). Expression of a murine leukemia virus Gag-Escherichia coli RNase HI fusion polyprotein significantly inhibits virus spread. J Virol, 71(4), 3312-8.
- Holmen SL, Vanbrocklin MW, Eversole RR, Stapleton SR, Ginsberg LC (1995). Efficient lipid-mediated transfection of DNA into primary rat hepatocytes. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim, 31(5), 347-51.