Kimberley Shoaf, MPH, DrPH
Associate Chief, Division of Public Health, Community Engaged Scholarship Responsible for coordinating activities directed external to the Division of Public Health. Includes: Public Health Professional Education Global Public Health Community Partners Engagement
- Education, Public Health Professional
- Public Health
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Professor
- Divisions: Public Health
Academic Office Information
375 Chipeta Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Kimberley I. Shoaf is Professor in the Division of Public Health and Associate Chief for Community Engaged Scholarship. She has more than 30 years of experience in public health practice including experience as a health educator, trainer, and researcher. She has particular expertise in program planning and evaluation applicable to both general public health practice and emergency public health. She has worked with more than 50 local health departments in preparing for responding to disasters through training, assessments, and exercises as well as in writing of plans. She has both a research and an educational focus on workforce development within public health and primary care. Dr. Shoaf received her Master of Public Health degree in Population and Family Health and a DrPH in Community Health Sciences from the Fielding School of Public Health at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Over the course of my academic career, I have been a practice-based public health systems and services researcher utilizing mixed-methods. Much of my research has focused on the field of emergency public health and the development of the health workforce. Over the past 20 years, I have been the PI or Co-PI on numerous grants conducting both research and training activities relevant to public health emergencies and disasters both domestically and internationally. My research has focused on two main areas, identifying and quantifying the health impacts of a variety of hazards and connecting the various sectors working to protect the health of populations, including the public health system, health care system, other governmental agencies, and community based organizations, and community members themselves. Methodologically, my expertise lies in mixed methods projects, particularly combining surveys and qualitative interviewing (both Key Informants and Focus Groups).
|Doctoral Training||University of California, Los Angeles
Community Health Sciences
|Graduate Training||University of California, Los Angeles
Population and Family Health
|Undergraduate||University of Utah
Community Health Education
Selected Provider Publications
Shoaf K (2014). Organizing the health sector for response to disasters. Cien Saude Colet, 19(9), 3705-15.
Global Impact: Brazil.
Petal M, Baral S, Giri S, Rajbanshi S, Gajurel S, Green RP, Pandey B, Shoaf KI (05/03/2017). Causes of Deaths and Injuries in the 2015 Gorkha Earthquake. Save the Children in cooperation with Health Research and Social Development Forum.
Global Impact: Nepal.
Awards & Honors
|Special Visiting Researcher, Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacy Administration, Universidade Federal Fluminense and Escola Nacional de Saúde Pública Sérgio Arouca da Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Brazil|
|Shoaf KI. Los Terremotos: Viviendo Bien con el Riesgo [Earthquakes: Living Well with Risk]. United States Embassy, Dominican Republic||Dominican Republic|
|Shoaf, KI. Course in Emergency Public Health: Planning for Emergencies and Disasters, Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacy Administration, Universidade Federal Fluminense and Escola Nacional de Saúde Pública Sérgio Arouca da Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil,||Brazil|
|01/01/2007||Team Leader||Social Science Reconnaissance Team to Pisco, Peru Earthquake||Peru|
|01/01/1999||Member||Reconnaissance team, Armenia, Colombia Earthquake||Colombia|
- Ocier K, Abdelaziz S, Kim S, Rowe K, Snyder J, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Porucznik CA, Shoaf K, Stanford JB, Lee CJ, Hashibe M (2021). Cardiovascular disease risks in younger versus older adult B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma survivors. Cancer Med, 10(12), 4117-4126.
- Errett NA, Howarth M, Shoaf K, Couture M, Ramsey S, Rosselli R, Webb S, Bennett A, Miller A (2020). Developing an Environmental Health Sciences COVID-19 Research Agenda: Results from the NIEHS Disaster Research Response (DR2) Work Group's Modified Delphi Method. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 17(18).
- Qeadan F, Akofua Mensah N, Tingey B, Bern R, Rees T, Talboys S, Pal Singh T, Lacey S, Shoaf K (2020). What Protective Health Measures Are Americans Taking in Response to COVID-19? Results from the COVID Impact Survey. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 17(17).
- Qeadan F, Honda T, Gren LH, Dailey-Provost J, Benson LS, VanDerslice JA, Porucznik CA, Waters AB, Lacey S, Shoaf K (2020). Naive Forecast for COVID-19 in Utah Based on the South Korea and Italy Models-the Fluctuation between Two Extremes. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 17(8).
- Miranda ES, Shoaf K, Silva RSD, Freitas CF, Osorio-de-Castro CGS (2017). Expected hazards and hospital beds in host cities of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Cad Saude Publica, 33(5), e00010616.
- Rainey E, Simonsen S, Stanford J, Shoaf K, Baayd J (2017). Utah obstetricians' opinions of planned home birth and conflicting NICE/ACOG guidelines: A qualitative study. Birth, 44(2), 137-144.
- Adelaine SA, Shoaf K, Harvey C (2016). An Assessment of Collaboration and Disasters: A Hospital Perspective. Prehospital Disaster Med, 31(2), 121-5.
- Shoaf K (2014). Organizing the health sector for response to disasters. Cien Saude Colet, 19(9), 3705-15.
- Shoaf KI, Kelley MM, OKeefe K, Arrington KD, Prelip ML (2014). Enhancing emergency preparedness and response systems: correlates of collaboration between local health departments and school districts. Public Health Rep, 129 Suppl 4, 107-13.
- OKeefe KA, Shafir SC, Shoaf KI (2013). Local health department epidemiologic capacity: a stratified cross-sectional assessment describing the quantity, education, training, and perceived competencies of epidemiologic staff. Front Public Health, 1, 64.
- Shoaf KI, Peek-Asa C (2000). Survey research in disaster public health. Prehospital Disaster Med, 15(1), 57-63.
- Shoaf KI, Seligson HA (2011). Estimating Casualties for the Southern California Shakeout. In Spence R, So E, and Scawthorne C (Eds.), Human Casualties in Natural Disasters: Progress in Modelling and Mitigation. New York: Springer Press.
- Degutis LC, Shoaf K, Aragn TJ, Atchison C, Dyjack D, Hites L, Links J, Olson D, Potter M, Thompson J, Turnock B (2023). The Urgent Need for Public Health Preparedness Funding and Support. Am J Public Health, 111(3), 363-365.
- Shoaf KI, Flores R, Seidman RL, Oxendine J, Bliss JC, Yontz V (2008). Improving the public health workforce in California, Hawaii, Utah, and Nevada: Training initiatives of the Pacific Public Health Training Center (PPHTC) [Abstract]. American Public Health Association 136th Annual Meeting.
- Seidman RL, Oxendine J, Flores R, Shoaf KI, Bliss JC (2008). Increasing graduate public health education by underrepresented groups: Evidence from California [Abstract]. American Public Health Association 136th Annual Meeting.
- Curran JA, Georgis T, Kuljian SL, Shoaf KI (2007). Modified two-stage cluster sampling: Methodology for post-Katrina health outcomes research [Abstract]. American Public Health Association 135th Annual Meeting.
- Alexander J, Rottman S, Shoaf K (2005). Bioterrorism and Disaster Preparedness for Health Professions Students: An Interdisciplinary Approach [Abstract]. American Public Health Association 133rd Annual Meeting.
- Kuljian S, Shoaf K, Dorian A, Rottman S (2005). Evaluating Disaster Preparedness Training Activities [Abstract]. American Public Health Association 133rd Annual Meeting.
- Riopelle DD, Kano M, Shoaf KI, Rottman SJ (2002). Disseminating bioterrorism training materials to physicians via the Internet [Abstract]. Annual American Public Health Association 130th Annual Meeting.
- Shoaf KI (2001). Bioterrorism: Role of Academic Public Health [Abstract]. Natural Hazards Workshop.
- Bourque LB, Shoaf KI, Russell LA, Goltz JD (1994). Injury Following the Whittier Narrows and Loma Prieta Earthquakes [Abstract]. American Sociological Association Annual Conference.
- Ogaz A, Shoaf KI, Aumack KA (1992). Smoking Cessation and Prevention: Education Through Entertaining and Culturally Sensitive Videos [Abstract]. American Public Health Association Annual Conference.
- Shoaf KI, Johnson EA (1989). Colorado Lay Health Promoters: A Pilot Project for Migrant Farmworkers [Abstract]. American Public Health Association Annual Conference.
- Petal M, Baral S, Giri S, Rajbanshi S, Gajurel S, Green RP, Pandey B, Shoaf KI (05/03/2017). Causes of Deaths and Injuries in the 2015 Gorkha Earthquake. Save the Children in cooperation with Health Research and Social Development Forum.
- Shoaf KI, Jesse Bliss, Lauren Anderson, Justin McDermott, Andrea Baxter (03/01/2017). Online Toolkit to Enhance Collaboration for Public Health and Medical Response to Disasters: Making Disasters Less Disastrous: Public Health, Healthcare Executives, and Emergency Management Working Together [Web]. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: OPHPR, Division of State and Local Readiness.
- Perry S, Cox D, Jones L, Bernknopf R, Glotz J, Hudnut K, Mileti D, Ponti D, Porter K, Reichle M, Seligson HA, Shoaf KI, Treiman J, Wein A (2008). The ShakeOut Scenario: U.S. Geographical Survey Open-File Report 2008-1150 and California Geographical Survey Preliminary Report 25 [Web]. U.S. Geological Survey. Available: http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1150/.