Karen Gibbins, MD
- Placenta Diseases
- Obstetric Complications
- Departments: Obstetrics/Gynecology - Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Academic Office Information
50 N Medical Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
Karen J. Gibbins, M.D. is an Assistant Professor in the division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine. She enjoys taking care of a wide variety of women with high risk pregnancies. Dr. Gibbins conducts research regarding women whose pregnancies have been complicated by problems with the placenta, including stillbirth, preeclampsia, fetal growth restriction, and recurrent pregnancy loss.
Dr. Gibbins’s primary research focus is adverse pregnancy outcomes due to abnormal placental development, including fetal growth restriction, preeclampsia, stillbirth, and pregnancy loss. She is particularly interested in developing a test that would allow us to better detect placental insufficiency in the third trimester and intervene before further damage occurs.
|Fellowship||University of Utah
|Graduate Training||University of Utah
|Residency||Women & Infants Brown Alpert School of Medicine
Obstetrics and Gynecology
|Professional Medical||Case Western School of Medicine
Women and Gender Studies
- Gibbins KJ, Tebo AE, Nielsen SK, Branch DW (July 2018). Antiphospholipid antibodies in women with severe preeclampsia and placental insufficiency: a case-control study. Lupus.
- Heuser CC, Gibbins KJ, Herrera CA, Theilen LH, Holmgren CM (May 28 2018). Moms in medicine: Job satisfaction among physician-mothers in obstetrics and gynecology. Work.
- Gibbins KJ, Mumford SL, Sjaarda LA, Branch DW, Perkins NJ, Ye A, Schisterman EF, Silver RM (May 2018). Preconception antiphospholipid antibodies and risk of subsequent early pregnancy loss. Lupus.
- Gibbins KJ, Gibson-Corley KN, Brown AS, Wieben M, Law RC, Fung CM (2018). Effects of excess thromboxane A2 on placental development and nutrient transporters in a Mus musculus model of fetal growth restriction. Biol Reprod.
- Gibbins KJ, Reddy UR, Saade G, Goldenberg R, Dudley D, Parker C, Thorsten V, Pinar H, Bukowski R, Hogue CJR, Silver RM (2018). Smith-Lemli-Opitz mutations in unexplained stillbirths. Am J Perinatol.
- Heuser CC, Gibbins KJ, Smid MC, Branch DW (June 10 2017). Reproductive rights advocacy: Not just for the family planning community. Am J Obstet Gynecol.
- Page JM, Christiansen-Lindquist L, Thorsten V, Parker CB, Reddy UM, Dudley DJ, Saade GR, Coustan D, Rowland Hogue CJ, Conway D, Bukowski R, Pinar H, Heuser CC, Gibbins KJ, Goldenberg RL, Silver RM (April 2017). Diagnostic tests for evaluation of stillbirth: Results from the Stillbirth Collaborative Research Network. Obstet Gynecol, 129(4), 699-706.
- Gibbins KJ, Einerson BD, Varner MW, Silver RM (January 2017). Placenta previa and maternal hemorrhagic morbidity. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med, 1-17.
- Monson MA, Gibbins KJ, Esplin MS, Varner MW, Manuck TA (November 2016). Pregnancy outcomes in women with a history of previable, preterm prelabor rupture of membranes. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 128(5), 975-982.
- Gibbins KJ, Porter TF (September 2016). The importance of an evidence-based workup for recurrent pregnancy loss. Clin Obstet Gynecol, 59(3), 456-463.
- Gibbins KJ, Silver RM, Pinar H, Reddy UM, Parker CB, Thorsten VR, Willinger M, Dudley DJ, Bukowski RK, Saade GR, Koch MA, Conway D, Hogue CJ, Stoll BJ, Goldenberg RL (April 2016). Stillbirth, Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy, and Placental Pathology. Placenta.
- Gibbins KJ, Weber T, Holmgren CM, Porter TF, Varner MW, Manuck TA (May 2015). Maternal and Fetal Morbidity Associated with Rupture of the Unscarred Uterus. Am J Obstet Gynecol.
- Gibbins KJ, Albright CM, Rouse DJ (2013). Postpartum hemorrhage in the developed world: whither misoprostol? Am J Obstet Gynecol, 208(3), 181-3.
- Gibbins KJ, Browning KR, Lopes VV, Anderson BL, Rouse DJ (2013). Evaluation of the clinical use of magnesium sulfate for cerebral palsy prevention. Obstet Gynecol, 121(2 Pt 1), 235-40.
- Von Gruenigen VE, Gibbons HE, Gibbins K, Jenison EL, Hopkins MP (2007). Surgical treatments for vaginal and vulvar dysplasia: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol, 109(4), 942-7.
- Gibbins KJ, Silver RM (In Press). Obstetrical Considerations and Management of Antiphospholipid Syndrome. [Review]. Open Urol Nephrol J.
- Gibbins KJ, Branch DW (2014). Pre-eclampsia as a manifestation of antiphospholipid syndrome: Assessing the current status. [Review]. Lupus, 23(12), 1229-31.
- Rouse DJ, Gibbins, KJ (12/2013). Magnesium sulfate for cerebral palsy prevention? [Review]. Semin Perinatol, 37(6), 414-416.
- Hunter LA, Gibbins KJ (2011). Magnesium sulfate: past, present, and future. [Review]. J Midwifery Womens Health, 56(6), 566-74.