Damian A. Borbolla, MD, MS
- Clinical Decision Support Systems
- Standards and Interoperability
- Electronic Health Record Systems
- Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Assistant Professor (Clinical)
Academic Office Information
421 Wakara Way, Room: 2004
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Damian Borbolla earned his Medical Doctor (MD) degree from "Del Salvador" University in Buenos Aires, Argentina. After finalizing his medical training, Damian completed a medical specialization in Health Informatics at Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires, where he was Chief of Residents for two consecutive years. In 2010 Dr. Borbolla moved to Portland, OR where he earned a Master of Science (MS) in Biomedical Informatics from OHSU (Oregon Health & Science University). He did postdoctoral training in the Department of Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology (DMICE) also at OHSU, and the Department of Biomedical Informatics at the University of Utah.
Damian is currently an Assistant Professor, career track, in the University of Utah’s Biomedical Informatics Department. He is the director of the Master Program and is in charge of other executive training initiatives. He is also a member of Department Sociotechnical ServiceLine and the Knowledge Management and Mobilization (KMM) Unit, where he is involved in several clinical informatics research projects.
Dr. Borbolla also has global informatics experience and had worked collaboratively in Health Information Systems research projects, and he is currently leading World Health Organization (WHO)/PAHO working groups related to the adoption of Electronic Health Records in Latinamerican countries.
Damian's expertise and research interest include the adoption of Healthcare Standards, the implementation of clinical systems, and the optimization of Electronic Medical Records and Clinical Decision Support systems
|Postdoctoral Training||University of Utah School of Medicine
|Graduate Training||Oregon Health & Science University
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||Oregon Health & Science University
|Residency||Italian Hospital of Buenos Aires
|Professional Medical||University of Salvador
|Residency||Italian Hospital of Buenos Aires
|Professional Medical||University of Salvador
- Maria E Fernandez, Chelsey R Schlechter, Guilherme Del Fiol, Bryan Gibson, Kensaku Kawamoto, Tracey Siaperas, Alan Pruhs, Tom Greene, Inbal Nahum-Shani, Sandra Schulthies, Marci Nelson, Claudia Bohner, Heidi Kramer, Damian Borbolla, Sharon Austin, Charlene Weir, Timothy W Walker, Cho Y Lam, David W Wetter (2020). QuitSMART Utah: An Implementation Study Protocol for a Cluster-Randomized, Multi-Level Sequential Multiple Assignment Randomized Trial to Increase Reach and Impact of Tobacco Cessation Treatment in Community Health Centers. Implement Sci, 1(9).
- Fernandez ME, Schlechter CR, Del Fiol G, Gibson B, Kawamoto K, Siaperas T, Pruhs A, Greene T, Nahum-Shani I, Schulthies S, Nelson M, Bohner C, Kramer H, Borbolla D, Austin S, Weir C, Walker TW, Lam CY, Wetter DW (2020). QuitSMART Utah: an implementation study protocol for a cluster-randomized, multi-level Sequential Multiple Assignment Randomized Trial to increase Reach and Impact of tobacco cessation treatment in Community Health Centers. Implement Sci, 15(1), 9.
- Wright MC, Borbolla D, Waller RG, Del Fiol G, Reese T, Nesbitt P, Segall N (2019). Critical care information display approaches and design frameworks: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Biomed Inform X, 3.
- Colicchio TK, Borbolla D, Colicchio VD, Scammon DL, Del Fiol G, Facelli JC, Bowes WA 3rd, Narus SP (2019). Looking Behind the Curtain: Identifying Factors Contributing to Changes on Care Outcomes During a Large Commercial EHR Implementation. EGEMS (Wash DC), 7(1), 21.
- Mowery DL, Kawamoto K, Bradshaw R, Kohlmann W, Schiffman JD, Weir C, Borbolla D, Chapman WW, Del Fiol G (2019). Determining Onset for Familial Breast and Colorectal Cancer from Family History Comments in the Electronic Health Record. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc, 2019, 173-181.
- Waller RG, Wright MC, Segall N, Nesbitt P, Reese T, Borbolla D, Del Fiol G (2018). Novel displays of patient information in critical care settings: a systematic review. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 26(5), 479-489.
- Borbolla D, Becerra-Posada F, Novillo-Ortiz D (2019). [Legal framework for electronic medical records in the Region of the Americas: definition of domains to legislate and situation analysisEnquadramento legal para os registros eletrônicos em saúde na Região das Américas: definição de domínios para regulamentação e análise da situação]. Rev Panam Salud Publica, 43, e25.
- Borbolla D, Taft T, Taber P, Weir CR, Norlin C, Kawamoto K, Fiol GD (2018). Understanding Primary Care Providers' Information Gathering Strategies in the Care of Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2018, 272-278.
- Kawamanto K, Flynn MC, Kukhareva P, ElHalta D, Hess R, Gregory T, Walls C, Wigren AM, Borbolla D, Bray BE, Parsons MH, Clayson BL, Briley MS, Stipelman CH, Taylor D, King CS, Del Fiol G, Reese TJ, Weir CR, Taft T, Strong MB (2018). A Pragmatic Guide to Establishing Clinical Decision Support Governance and Addressing Decision Support Fatigue: a Case Study. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2018, 624-633.
- Kukhareva P, Weir CR, Staes C, Borbolla D, Slager S, Kawamoto K (2018). Integration of Clinical Decision Support and Electronic Clinical Quality Measurement: Domain Expert Insights and Implications for Future Direction. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2018, 700-709.
- Bian J, Weir C, Unni P, Borbolla D, Reese T, Wan YJ, Del Fiol G (2018). Interactive Visual Displays for Interpreting the Results of Clinical Trials: Formative Evaluation With Case Vignettes. J Med Internet Res, 20(6), e10507.
- Ranade-Kharkar P, Weir C, Norlin C, Collins SA, Scarton LA, Baker GB, Borbolla D, Taliercio V, Del Fiol G (2017). Information needs of physicians, care coordinators, and families to support care coordination of children and youth with special health care needs (CYSHCN). J Am Med Inform Assoc, 24(5), 933-941.
- Wright A, McCoy AB, Hickman TT, Hilaire DS, Borbolla D, Bowes WA 3rd, Dixon WG, Dorr DA, Krall M, Malholtra S, Bates DW, Sittig DF (2015). Problem list completeness in electronic health records: A multi-site study and assessment of success factors. Int J Med Inform, 84(10), 784-90.
- Franco M, Giussi Bordoni MV, Otero C, Landoni MC, Benitez S, Borbolla D, Luna D (2015). Problem Oriented Medical Record: Characterizing the Use of the Problem List at Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires. Stud Health Technol Inform, 216, 877.
- Borbolla D, Del Fiol G, Taliercio V, Otero C, Campos F, Martinez M, Luna D, Quiros F (2014). Integrating personalized health information from MedlinePlus in a patient portal. Stud Health Technol Inform, 205, 348-52.
- Taliercio V, Schachner B, Borbolla D, Luna D, Villalba E, Quiros F (2014). The expectations of nurses about the implementation of a Barcoded Medication Administration System: a qualitative study. Stud Health Technol Inform, 205, 191-5.
- Borbolla D, Gorman P, Del Fiol G, Mohan V, Hersh W, Otero C, Luna D, Gonzalez Bernaldo De Quiros F (2013). Physicians perceptions of an educational support system integrated into an electronic health record. Stud Health Technol Inform, 186, 125-9.
- Jung M, Hoerbst A, Hackl WO, Kirrane F, Borbolla D, Jaspers MW, Oertle M, Koutkias V, Ferret L, Massari P, Lawton K, Riedmann D, Darmoni S, Maglaveras N, Lovis C, Ammenwerth E (2013). Attitude of physicians towards automatic alerting in computerized physician order entry systems. A comparative international survey. Methods Inf Med, 52(2), 99-108.
- Borbolla D, Taliercio V, Schachner B, Gomez Saldano AM, Salazar E, Luna D, Gonzalez Bernaldo de Quiros F (2012). Isolation of patients with vancomycin resistant enterococci (VRE): efficacy of an electronic alert system. Stud Health Technol Inform, 180, 698-702.
- Arias A, Bentez S, Canosa D, Borbolla D, Staccia G, Plazzotta F, Casais M, Michelangelo H, Luna D, Bernaldo de Quirs FG (2010). Computerization of a preanesthetic evaluation and user satisfaction evaluation. Stud Health Technol Inform, 160(Pt 2), 1197-201.
- Borbolla D, Otero C, Lobach DF, Kawamoto K, Gomez Saldao AM, Staccia G, Lopez G, Figar S, Luna D, Bernaldo de Quiros FG (2010). Implementation of a clinical decision support system using a service model: results of a feasibility study. Stud Health Technol Inform, 160(Pt 2), 816-20.
- Aguilera Diaz J, Arias AE, Budalich CM, Benitez SE, Lopez G, Borbolla D, Plazzotta F, Luna D, de Quiros FG (2010). Development and implementation of an integrated EHR for Homecare Service: a South American experience. Stud Health Technol Inform, 160(Pt 1), 43-7.
- Gonzalez Bernaldo de Quiros F, Luna D, Otero P, Baum A, Borbolla D (2009). Spreading knowledge in medical informatics: the contribution of the hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires. Yearb Med Inform, 147-52.
- Borbolla D, Giunta D, Figar S, Soriano M, Dawidowski A, de Quiros FG (2007). Effectiveness of a chronic disease surveillance systems for blood pressure monitoring. Stud Health Technol Inform, 129(Pt 1), 223-7.
- Otero P, Pedernera F, Montenegro S, Borbolla D, Garcia Marti S, Luna D, de Quiros FG (2004). Evolution of medical informatics in bibliographic databases. Stud Health Technol Inform, 107(Pt 1), 301-5.