John M. VanBuren, PhD
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Pediatrics - Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Pediatric Critical Care, Public Health
Dr. John VanBuren grew up in Sycamore, Illinois and then attended Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois where he graduated in 2011 with majors in Mathematics and Biology. After that, he attended the University of Iowa for Biostatistics where he received his Master’s degree in 2013 and Ph.D. in 2016. In his thesis, he created a model that analyzed replications of infectious disease spread for a population of participants with glaucoma.
He joined the Data Coordinating Center in the Department of Pediatric – Division of Critical Care as a Faculty Statistician. John specializes in Bayesian adaptive design. He currently works on several networks and projects including the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN), the Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Applied Research Network (CPCCRN), the Trial Innovation Network (TIN), the COllaborative, National QUality and Efficacy Registry (CONQUER), and other industry projects. When not working, John enjoys all the nature opportunities offered at Utah.
|Doctoral Training||University of Iowa
|Graduate Training||University of Iowa
Mathematics and Biology
- Nishijima DK, Kuppermann N, Roberts I, VanBuren JM, Tancredi DJ (2019). The Effect of Tranexamic Acid on Functional Outcomes: An Exploratory Analysis of the CRASH-2 Randomized Controlled Trial. (Epub ahead of print) Ann Emerg Med.
- Bennett EE, VanBuren J, Holubkov R, Bratton SL (2018). Presence of Invasive Devices and Risks of Healthcare-Associated Infections and Sepsis. J Pediatr Intensive Care, 7(4), 188-195.
- Nishijima DK, VanBuren J, Hewes HA, Myers SR, Stanley RM, Adelson PD, Barnhard SE, Bobinski M, Ghetti S, Holmes JF, Roberts I, Schalick WO 3rd, Tran NK, Tzimenatos LS, Michael Dean J, Kuppermann N, TIC-TOC Collaborators of the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (2018). Traumatic injury clinical trial evaluating tranexamic acid in children (TIC-TOC): study protocol for a pilot randomized controlled trial. Trials, 19(1), 593.
- Curtis AM, VanBuren J, Cavanaugh JE, Warren JJ, Marshall TA, Levy SM (2018). Longitudinal associations between dental caries increment and risk factors in late childhood and adolescence. J Public Health Dent, 78(4), 321-328.
- Marshall TA, Curtis AM, Cavanaugh JE, VanBuren JM, Warren JJ, Levy SM (2018). Description of Child and Adolescent Beverage and Anthropometric Measures According to Adolescent Beverage Patterns. Nutrients, 10(8).
- Curtis AM, Cavanaugh JE, Levy SM, VanBuren J, Marshall TA, Warren JJ (2017). Examining caries aetiology in adolescence with structural equation modelling. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 46(3), 258-264.
- Tzimenatos L, Mahajan P, Dayan PS, Vitale M, Linakis JG, Blumberg S, Borgialli D, Ruddy RM, Van Buren J, Ramilo O, Kuppermann N, Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network PECARN (2018). Accuracy of the Urinalysis for Urinary Tract Infections in Febrile Infants 60 Days and Younger. Pediatrics, 141(2).
- Warren JJ, Van Buren JM, Levy SM, Marshall TA, Cavanaugh JE, Curtis AM, Kolker JL, Weber-Gasparoni K (2017). Dental caries clusters among adolescents. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 45(6), 538-544.
- Haedtke C, Smith M, VanBuren J, Klein D, Turvey C (2017). The Characteristics of Pain in Patients Diagnosed with Depression and Heart Failure. Pain Manag Nurs, 18(6), 353-362.
- Cruz AT, Mahajan P, Bonsu BK, Bennett JE, Levine DA, Alpern ER, Nigrovic LE, Atabaki SM, Cohen DM, VanBuren JM, Ramilo O, Kuppermann N, Febrile Infant Working Group of the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (2017). Accuracy of Complete Blood Cell Counts to Identify Febrile Infants 60 Days or Younger With Invasive Bacterial Infections. JAMA Pediatr, 171(11), e172927.
- Haedtke C, Smith M, VanBuren J, Klein D, Turvey C (2017). The Relationships Among Pain, Depression, and Physical Activity in Patients With Heart Failure. J Cardiovasc Nurs, 32(5), E21-E25.
- VanBuren J, Cavanaugh J, Marshall T, Warren J, Levy SM (2017). AIC identifies optimal representation of longitudinal dietary variables. J Public Health Dent, 77(4), 360-371.
- Marshall TA, Van Buren JM, Warren JJ, Cavanaugh JE, Levy SM (2017). Beverage Consumption Patterns at Age 13 to 17 Years Are Associated with Weight, Height, and Body Mass Index at Age 17 Years. J Acad Nutr Diet, 117(5), 698-706.
- Pettit KA, Kundert JR, VanBuren JM, Story WT, Buresh CT (2017). Close Together, Far Apart: an Assessment of the Public Health Needs of Three Geographically Proximate Communities in Central Haiti. J Health Care Poor Underserved, 28(2), 739-753.
- VanBuren J, Oleson JJ, Zamba GK, Wall M (2016). Integrating independent spatio-temporal replications to assess population trends in disease spread. Stat Med, 35(28), 5210-5221.