Ivette A. López, PhD, MPH
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Professor (Lecturer)
- Divisions: Public Health
Academic Office Information
Division of Public Health
375 Chipeta Way, Room: Suite A, ROOM 148
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Ivette Amelia López, PhD, MPH is a Professor of Public Health at University of Utah Department of Family and Preventive Medicine. She is also the Director of the Utah Area Health Education Centers. Dr. López was born and raised in Caguas, Puerto Rico, and came to the United States mainland to pursue an advanced education. She is, and has been for over two decades, a dedicated professional in pursuit of health equity for Latinos and other disadvantaged populations in the United States. From AIDS (the epidemic that drew her to public health) to diabetes, obesity causal explanations among minority women, to Latina breast cancer survivorship, her research and service are dedicated to engage minority communities in finding solutions to their health burdens.
She resides in Salt Lake City, Utah, with her husband and daughter.
My work and research have focused on addressing diverse health inequity problems, principally: Type 2 diabetes, physical activity, obesity, heart disease, sexually transmitted infections, breast cancer, food environment, Alzheimer’s disease, and environmental contexts of health.
Research interests include: Latino health, Latina and African American women’s health, community-based mixed research and pedagogy, cultural humility, health literacy, and racial and ethnic disparities in higher education and health academic faculty/administration.
|Doctoral Training||University of South Florida College of Public Health
Social and Behavioral Sciences, Community and Family Health
|Graduate Training||University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health
Public and Community Health Services
|Undergraduate||Seton Hill University
Social Work and Sociology
- Hu Q, Chang C, Rowe K, Snyder J, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Gren LH, Porucznik C, Stanford JB, Gaffney D, Henry NL, Lopez IA, Hashibe M (2021). Disparities in cardiovascular disease risk among Hispanic breast cancer survivors in a population-based cohort. JNCI Cancer Spectr, 5(2).
- Akin-Odanye EO, Kaninjing E, Ndip RN, Warren CL, Asuzu CC, Lopez IA, Muiruri C, Vilme H (2021). Psychosocial impact of COVID-19 on students at institutions of higher learning. 8(6), 112-127.
- Crowther VB, Suther SG, Weaver JA, Gwede CK, Dutton M, Cui Dongming, Lopez IA (2020). An exploratory study of the likelihood of adopting genetic counseling and testing for Lynch Syndrome-related colorectal cancer among primary care physicians in Florida. J Health Dispar Res Pract, 13(3).
- Mathis AL, Dutton M, Lopez IA, Becker A, Brown CP (2019). After implementation of the ACA-Coverage gaps among rural Latinos still remain. 16(1), 9.
- Kaninjing E, Lopez IA, Nguyen J, Odedina F, Young Me (2018). Prostate cancer screening perception, beliefs and practices among men in Bamenda, Cameroon. Am J Mens Health, 1-10.
- Green FN, Lopez IA, Simmons M (2018). Obstructive sleep apnea among truck drivers: Danger in American roads. 15(1), 75-82.
- Simmons M, Simmons J, Lopez IA, et al (2017). Exploring the influence of Historically Black College/Universities (HBCUs) in the creation of a diverse cardio-pulmonary science workforce. 14(1), 18-28.
- Reed KS, Baker C, Simon AA, Dalal R, Stewart EC, Lopez IA, Brown-Cross D (2017). The use of a yoga intervention to reduce obesity in school-aged children in the Florida Big Bend. 14(1), 5-12.
- Rodriguez JE, Lopez IA, Campbell KM, Dutton M (2017). The Role of Historically Black College and University Medical Schools in Academic Medicine. J Health Care Poor Underserved, 28(1), 266-278.
- Solomon S, Suther SG, Lopez IA, Ashford A, Amankwaa LC, et al (2017). Meaning of Pregnancy Terms Among African-American Women. 22(5), 1237-50.
- Vilme H, Lopez IA, Walters L, Suther S, Brown CP, Dutton M, Barber J (2015). Perspectives of Stakeholders on Implementing a Farm-to-University Program at an HBCU. Am J Health Behav, 39(4), 529-39.
- Dutton M, Lopez IA, Brown CP, Simmons J (2015). Interdisciplinary Synergy in the Teaching of Applied Community Based Research Methods. Pedagogy Health Promot.
- Darensbourg LR, Lopez IA, Dutton MT, Brown CP (2015). Knowledge and perceptions of HPV vaccine among African American college students. 12(5), 1-7.
- Boston PQ, Lopez IA, Harper K (2015). Diversity-Grown: Participatory Evaluation of a Community Gardening Initiative Through Photovoice. Pract Anthropol, 37, 37-8.
- Lopez IA, Boston PQ, Dutton M, Jones CG, Mitchell MM, Vilme H (2014). Obesity literacy and culture among African American women in Florida. Am J Health Behav, 38(4), 541-52.
- Simmons J, Lee T, Simmons M, Lopez IA (2014). Nurses' Knowledge and Attitudes towards Victims of Sexual Trafficking. 11(1), 10.
- Jones CGLee TC, Lopez IA (2014). Perceived Susceptibility and Prevention Attitudes of African- American College Students’ toward Type 2 Diabetes.
- Wilson M, Rahman SMM, Lopez IA, Kiros GE, James DCS, Dignan MB (2014). Perceived parental support and self-efficacy for avoiding sedentary behaviors and overweightness among African American children. Univers J Public Health, 2(1), 1-9.
- Zarate R, Becker A, Lopez IA, Schauben JL (2012). Children’s vulnerability related to chlorine exposure, container confusion, and mixing household cleaners – Florida, 2006-2008. 9(1), 11.
- Ashford A, Kiros G, Lopez IA (2010). Trends and Correlates of Breast Cancer Screening Among Women in Florida: Analysis of 2001 and 2008 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. 7(1), 5.
- Allen CM, Butler ES, Negusei N, Hart C, Lopez IA, Harris CM, Ralston P (2010). Translating hemoglobin A1c scores across an ethnically diverse population: Is the language consistent across all races? 7(1), 15.
- Armstrong S, Ashford A, Lopez IA, Brown CP (2009). Exploring the effect of sexual education on sexual health risk behaviors: An analysis of the 2003 and 2007 YRBS.
- Lopez IA (2009). Adios a ojos de ambar (Farewell to amber eyes). J Loss Trauma, 14(5), 347-63.
- Lopez IA, Bryant CA, McDermott RJ (2008). Influences on physical activity participation among Latinas: an ecological perspective. Am J Health Behav, 32(6), 627-39.
- Brown CP, Ross L, Lopez IA, Thornton A, Kiros GE (2008). Disparities in the receipt of cardiac revascularization procedures between Blacks and Whites: An analysis of secular trends. Ethn Dis, 18(S2), 112-7.
- Garca J, Salcedo AL, Lopez IA, Baer RD, Dressler W, Weller SC (2007). “Diabetes is my companion”: Lifestyle and self-management among food and poor control Mexican diabetic patients. Soc Sci Med, 64(11), 2223-35.