Alexander W. Pastuszak, MD, PhD
- Peyronie's Disease
- Dupuytren's Contracture
- Ledderhose Disease
- Male Infertility
- Transforming Growth Factor beta
- Departments: Pathology - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Surgery - Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Microbiology and Immunology, Urology
- American Board of Urology
Academic Office Information
School of Medicine
30 N 1900 E, Room: 3B-110
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
Alexander W. Pastuszak, MD, PhD, is Assistant Professor of Surgery - Urology in the Department of Surgery at The University of Utah School of Medicine in Salt Lake City, Utah. Dr. Pastuszak earned his undergraduate degree at Yale University and completed his MD and PhD at the University of California, San Francisco. He completed his urology residency at Baylor College of Medicine and a fellowship in male reproductive medicine and surgery with Drs. Larry I. Lipshultz and Dolores J. Lamb, also at Baylor College of Medicine.
Dr. Pastuszak specializes in the treatment of male infertility, as well as both male and female sexual dysfunction. His clinical and basic science research focuses on men’s health, with his laboratory investigating the genetic factors that cause male infertility and Peyronie’s disease.
In 2011 Dr. Pastuszak was awarded the Urology Care Foundation’s Russell Scott, Jr., MD, Resident Research Award for his work on male infertility. In 2017, he received the Urology Care Foundation Research Scholar Award, and in 2018 he received the Urology Care Foundation Rising Stars in Urology Award for his work on Peyronie’s Disease. In 2018, he also received NIH funding supporting his Peyronie’s disease research. He has received numerous other awards for his work, has authored over 80 peer-reviewed articles and numerous book chapters on men’s reproductive and sexual health, and he is editor of the textbook entitled Management of Sexual Dysfunction in Men and Women: An Interdisciplinary Approach.
Dr. Pastuszak is an active member of the Sexual Medicine Society of North America, the American Society of Andrology, the American Society of Reproductive Medicine, the Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, and the American Urological Association. Since 2014, he has been Section Editor for the journals Sexual Medicine and Current Sexual Health Reports, and is Associate Editor of Sexual Medicine Reviews, the Journal of Sexual Medicine, and Fertility and Sterility.
Dr. Pastuszak regularly shares his time and knowledge with the general public, conducting regular media interviews. He is also an entrepreneur, having founded a medical communications company, Woven Health, which focuses on optimizing patient care team collaboration and efficiency using mobile technologies.
|Fellowship||Baylor College of Medicine
Male Reproductive Medicine and Surgery
|Residency||Baylor College of Medicine
|Internship||Baylor College of Medicine
|Professional Medical||University of California, San Francisco
|Doctoral Training||University of California, San Francisco
Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
- Balasubramanian A, Kohn TP, Santiago JE, Sigalos JT, Kirby EW, Hockenberry MS, Pickett SM, Pastuszak AW, Lipshultz LI (2020). Increased Risk of Hypogonadal Symptoms in Shift Workers With Shift Work Sleep Disorder. Urology, 138, 52-59.
- Balasubramanian A, Kohn TP, Santiago JE, Sigalos JT, Kirby EW, Hockenberry MS, Pickett SM, Pastuszak AW, Lipshultz LI (2019). AUTHOR REPLY. Urology, 138, 58-59.
- Towe M, El-Khatib F, Osman M, Huynh L, Carrion R, Ward S, Reisman Y, Serefoglu EC, Pastuszak A, Yafi FA (2020). "Doc, if it were you, what would you do?": a survey of Men's Health specialists' personal preferences regarding treatment modalities. (Epub ahead of print) Int J Impot Res.
- Gondokusumo JC, Butaney M, Balasubramanian A, Beilan JA, Tatem AJ, Thirumavalavan N, Pastuszak AW, Lipshultz LI (2020). The use of scrotal ultrasound in the evaluation of varicoceles: A survey study of reproductive specialists. (Epub ahead of print) Can Urol Assoc J.
- Pastuszak AW, Hu Y, Freid JD (2020). Occurrence of Pulmonary Oil Microembolism After Testosterone Undecanoate Injection: A Postmarketing Safety Analysis. (Epub ahead of print) Sex Med.
- Srivatsav A, Balasubramanian A, Pathak UI, Rivera-Mirabal J, Thirumavalavan N, Hotaling JM, Lipshultz LI, Pastuszak AW (2020). Efficacy and Safety of Common Ingredients in Aphrodisiacs Used for Erectile Dysfunction: A Review. (Epub ahead of print) Sex Med Rev.
- Patel DP, Jenkins TG, Aston KI, Guo J, Pastuszak AW, Hanson HA, Hotaling JM (2020). Harnessing the full potential of reproductive genetics and epigenetics for male infertility in the era of "big data". Fertil Steril, 113(3), 478-488.
- Balasubramanian A, Yu J, Srivatsav A, Spitz A, Eisenberg ML, Thirumavalavan N, McBride JA, Lipshultz LI, Pastuszak AW (2020). A review of the evolving landscape between the consumer Internet and men's health. Transl Androl Urol, 9(Suppl 2), S123-S134.
- Christiansen AR, Lipshultz LI, Hotaling JM, Pastuszak AW (2020). Selective androgen receptor modulators: the future of androgen therapy? Transl Androl Urol, 9(Suppl 2), S135-S148.
- Sinha DK, Balasubramanian A, Tatem AJ, Rivera-Mirabal J, Yu J, Kovac J, Pastuszak AW, Lipshultz LI (2020). Beyond the androgen receptor: the role of growth hormone secretagogues in the modern management of body composition in hypogonadal males. Transl Androl Urol, 9(Suppl 2), S149-S159.
- Kohn TP, Kohn JR, Haney NM, Pastuszak AW, Lipshultz LI (2020). The effect of sleep on men's health. Transl Androl Urol, 9(Suppl 2), S178-S185.
- Basilius JR, Hotaling JM, Pastuszak AW (2020). Unwinding Fibrosis in Peyronie's Disease. (Epub ahead of print) J Sex Med.
- Keihani S, Alder NJ, Cheng PJ, Stoddard GJ, Pastuszak AW, Hotaling JM (2020). Obesity and Baseline Estradiol Levels Are Independent Predictors for Initiation of Anastrozole in Hypogonadal Men on Clomiphene Citrate. (Epub ahead of print) World J Mens Health.
- Butaney M, Thirumavalavan N, Balasubramanian A, McBride JA, Gondokusumo J, Pastuszak AW, Lipshultz LI (2020). Treatment of Estrogen Levels in the Management of Hypogonadism: An Anonymous Survey of ISSM Members. (Epub ahead of print) Urology.
- Lo EM, Balasubramanian A, Pastuszak AW, Khera M (2020). Bipolar Androgen Therapy in Prostate Cancer (Update). (Epub ahead of print) J Sex Med.
- Patel DP, Christensen MB, Hotaling JM, Pastuszak AW (2019). A review of inflammation and fibrosis: implications for the pathogenesis of Peyronie's disease. World J Urol, 38(2), 253-261.
- Twitchell DK, Pastuszak AW (2019). Editorial Comment. J Urol, 203(2), 403-404.
- Jenkins TG, James ER, Aston KI, Salas-Huetos A, Pastuszak AW, Smith KR, Hanson HA, Hotaling JM, Carrell DT (2019). Age-associated sperm DNA methylation patterns do not directly persist trans-generationally. Epigenetics Chromatin, 12(1), 74.
- Pastuszak AW, Thirumavalavan N, Kohn TP, Lipshultz LI, Eisenberg ML (2019). Increased Risk of Cancer in Men With Peyronie's Disease: A Cohort Study Using a Large United States Insurance Claims Database. Sex Med, 7(4), 403-408.
- Masterson TA, Galante A, Butaney M, Pastuszak A, Sadeghi-Nejad H, Ramasamy R (2019). Variation in collagenase Clostridium histolyticum practice patterns: a Survey of ISSM Members. Int J Impot Res, 31(6), 439-443.
- Patel DP, Christensen MB, Hotaling JM, Pastuszak AW (2019). Erectile Dysfunction and Peyronie's Disease: Genetic Diseases? (Epub ahead of print) Eur Urol Focus.
- Krieger JR, Rizk PJ, Kohn TP, Pastuszak A (2019). Shockwave Therapy in the Treatment of Peyronie's Disease. Sex Med Rev, 7(3), 499-507.
- Kohn GE, Rodriguez KM, Hotaling J, Pastuszak AW (2019). The History of Estrogen Therapy. Sex Med Rev, 7(3), 416-421.
- Srivatsav A, Balasubramanian A, Butaney M, Thirumavalavan N, McBride JA, Gondokusumo J, Pastuszak AW, Lipshultz L (2019). Patient Attitudes Toward Testicular Prosthesis Placement After Orchiectomy. Am J Mens Health, 13(4), 1557988319861019.
- Patel DP, Pastuszak AW, Hotaling JM (2019). Emerging Treatments for Erectile Dysfunction: a Review of Novel, Non-surgical Options. Curr Urol Rep, 20(8), 44.
- Cheng PJ, Pastuszak AW, Myers JB, Goodwin IA, Hotaling JM (2019). Fertility concerns of the transgender patient. Transl Androl Urol, 8(3), 209-218.
- Bates JN, Pastuszak AW, Khera M (2019). Effect of Body Weight on Sexual Function in Men and Women. Current Sexual Health Reports, 11(1), 52-59.
- Gul A, Pastuszak A, Kabasakal L, Bates J, Altinay S, Celik DS, Semercioz A, Serefoglu EC (2019). Tadalafil Preserves Penile Nitric Oxide Synthase from Detrimental Effect of Paroxetine in Rats. Eurasian J Med, 51(1), 60-63.
- Lipshultz LI, Pastuszak AW (2020). Men's health: a rapidly changing landscape of healthcare delivery and treatment. Transl Androl Urol, 9(Suppl 2), S114-S115.
- Balasubramanian A, Thirumavalavan N, Pastuszak AW (2019). Evolving insights into the relationship between miR-23a/b-3p and target genes in subfertile patients. Fertil Steril, 112(2), 241-242.
- Balasubramanian A, Thirumavalavan N, Pastuszak AW (2019). DNA methylation profiling of peripheral blood samples is a promising new approach to screen for male infertility. Fertil Steril, 112(1), 32-33.
- Keihani S, Pastuszak AW, Hotaling JM (2019). Re: Are WHO Recommendations to Perform 2 Consecutive Semen Analyses for Reliable Diagnosis of Male Infertility Still Valid? [Letter to the editor]. J Urol, 202(5), 1057-1058.
- Culha MG, Pastuszak A, Serefoglu EC (2015). Re: Effect of Tadalafil Once Daily on Penile Length Loss and Morning Erections in Patients After Bilateral Nerve-sparing Radical Prostatectomy: Results From a Randomized Controlled Trial (Urology 2015;85:1090-1096). [Letter to the editor]. Urology, 86(6), 1242-3.
- Pastuszak AW (2019). Systems and Methods of Improving Communications Amongst Healthcare Professionals. U.S. Patent No. CTLK001USP2. Washington, D.C.:U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.