Global Health Events
Student Global Health Initiative
- Global Health Case Competition - March 25-27, 2021.
WLG Event: Laila at the Bridge Film Screening
- March 30, 2021 at 7:00pm
- Register here
- About the film: Laila Haidari survived child marriage and her own traumatic past to battle one of thedeadliest problems in Afghanistan: heroin addiction. As the “mother of the addicts,” she must prevail over a crisis of addiction and a corrupt government in a country on the verge of collapse.
In a country offering almost no treatment services despite a crisis of addiction, LailaHaidari took the highly unusual decision to found her own pioneering addiction treatment center and a restaurant where all the waiters are recovering heroin addicts.
A deeply personal perspective on the global addiction epidemic, the film follows thelabor of love of one woman fighting to keep her center alive in the face of physical threats, governmental opposition, and the departure of the international community from Afghanistan.
Women Leaders in Global Health
The Women Leaders in Global Health task force aims to advance gender equity in global health leadership.
- Providing Surgical Services in Conflict Environments - Joanna Kotcher, BA, BSN, MPH.
- To access the recorded event, click here.
- The event covered the following topics:
- Case studies on surgical projects in Syria and Iraq
- The evolution of a surgical project in the context of armed conflict