Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) is dedicated to training the next generation of cancer researchers. Our robust, research-intensive programs provide learning opportunities across the education continuum, from high school students beginning to explore cancer research to junior faculty launching their independent research careers.
We train more than 425 learners who work in the laboratories of our 202 Cancer Center members. HCI trainees come from across the United States and the world, underscoring HCI’s commitment to increasing diversity in the biomedical workforce. Our trainees make discoveries that reveal how cancer is established, grows, and spreads. They work to identify cancer’s vulnerabilities, and they educate the public about cancer prevention.
Our programs bring together clinical, basic, and population scientists, each group adding their unique perspective to provide a holistic view of cancer. HCI provides an educational foundation that supports our commitment to developing cancer researchers while generating the knowledge required to prevent and treat cancer.
Donald E. Ayer, PhD
HCI Director of Cancer Training Innovation
- Huntsman Oncology Nurse Residency (HONR)
- Geographic Management of Cancer Health Disparities (GMaP)
- Huntsman Cancer Institute Advanced Practice Care
- University of Utah Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR)
- Huntsman Cancer Institute Community Outreach and Prevention Education Program (COPE)
- Laboratory volunteer positions for undergraduate students are occasionally offered within the labs of Huntsman Cancer Institute Cancer Center members. Please contact labs directly to learn about available opportunities.
Graduate Study Programs
The University of Utah facilitates these graduate study programs in cancer:
- Bioscience PhD Programs
- Hematology/Oncology Fellowship
- Master of Science in Clinical Investigation Program
- MD/PhD Program
- Personalized Healthcare Certificate
Postdoctoral studies in cancer research opportunities are offered within the labs of Huntsman Cancer Institute Cancer Center members. Please contact labs directly to learn about available opportunities.
- High School