Thyroid & Parathyroid Tumor Program
The thyroid and parathyroid tumor program was established in 2001 at the Utah Diabetes and Endocrinology Center (UDEC) and the Salt Lake City Veterans Affairs Medical Center by Dr. Dev Abraham MD, MRCP(UK), ECNU, FACE.
The use of ultrasound (US) as point of contact (POC) study resulted from an attempt to offer dedicated neck US studies and fine needle aspiration (FNA) during office visits, just as management decisions are being made. This integration of procedures with visits was particularly helpful to patients travelling great distances from the five neighboring states.
In 2007, outpatient percutaneous ethanol ablation (PEI) for the management of thyroid cysts, toxic adenomas and parathyroid adenoma was offered. At the Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI), the comprehensive thyroid nodule and PEI services are integrated with the head and neck oncology services.
Our goal is to provide superlative thyroid nodule and comprehensive thyroid cancer management, which is tailored to individual patient needs that includes up-to-date scientific knowledge. This approach results in the prevention of over treatment of thyroid nodules and thyroid cancers, often avoiding unnecessary surgeries or radiation treatments. We strive to conserve and preserve the normally functioning thyroid gland as much as possible.
The following procedures are available through UDEC and HCI Clinic 1A.
1) Dedicated neck sonograms by ECNU certified specialist
2) Detailed evaluation and recommendations for thyroid cancer patients
3) FNA of thyroid nodules, select parathyroid adenomas and lymph nodes
4) Onsite testing of slides for adequacy of biopsy. This results in considerable reduction of failure rates of biopsy
5) Comprehensive mutation markers (DNA) testing for the care of patients with thyroid nodules and cancer.
6) Evaluation of functional thyroid nodules or toxic adenomas
7) Percutaneous alcohol ablation of thyroid cyst, toxic adenomas and select parathyroid tumors
8) Ongoing surveillance of thyroid cancer
9) Active surveillance of small (micro cancers) thyroid tumors and cancers
10) We closely work with experienced head and neck surgeons who perform thyroid, parathyroid and neck dissection surgeries
11) NCCN and ATA guidelines based treatment planning conferences or ‘tumor board’ discussions to facilitate the collaboration of various specialists in the field
Appointment information can be found by visiting the Thyroid & Parathyroid Clinic website.