"From the Desk Of" Staff Highlight - March 2021
Mar 17, 2021 12:30 PM
From the Desk Of...
Each month, one staff member from the Department of Internal Medicine will be highlighted in a new staff recognition program called "From the Desk Of..." We are fortunate to have such talented staff members, and we want the rest of the department to get to know "the face behind the email."
March's featured staff member is Holly Coleman, a Clinic Supervisor, CMA for the Division of Nephrology.
- What is one fun fact about yourself? I have hiked/climbed the first and third tallest peaks in Idaho. #1 Borah Peak– #3 Diamond Peak. My goal this year is to climb all 12k ft. peaks in ID.
- What is your favorite motto/quote? Motto: Semper Gumby (Always flexible) -My son is a U.S. Marine and has taught me to always be flexible; things are always changing and sometimes there is nothing you can do about it except to carry on. Quote: “Pressure makes diamonds.”
- What is the best thing about working at the University of Utah? Being part of an organization that fosters outstanding exceptional care to people, as well as, all the wonderful, compassionate individuals I work with on a daily basis.
- What is your favorite book? There are too many great books to have just one.
- Do you have any pets? We had great loss in 2020. In loving memory of our beloved 9 yr. old Australian Cattle Dog, Bones, and 33 yr. old Quarter horse, Hank. Hoping to have some happiness and joy this year with a new ACD puppy.
- Where do you work? SOM, Nephrology, Idaho Falls Nephrology Clinic, in Idaho Falls and Rexburg Idaho.
- What was your first job? As a sophomore in High school, I assisted a large animal Veterinarian. I administered vaccinations to horses and cattle, processed x-rays, assisted with anesthesia during surgeries, and even assisted with a C-section on a cow.
- What’s a typical day at work like? Addressing patient concerns, administrative tasks, answering phones, rooming patients, coordinating my providers schedule and assisting him in providing the best care we can to our patients with kidney disease.
- What’s the best part of your job? Knowing we are helping patients who are in need, so they can spend more time with their loved ones.
- What book are you reading right now? Frankenstein by Dean Koontz
- What is your favorite podcast and why? Jordan Peterson – It inspires me to ponder about things I normally would not, and helps me keep an open mind to new/different ideas.
- If you could snap your fingers and become an expert in something, what would it be? Parenting! – I would love to have all the answers to the what, why, and how comes, so I could help my children become happy, amazing successful people.
- What’s your superpower at work and at home? Multi-tasking and organization.
- If you could have only three apps on your smartphone, what would they be? Overdrive (ebooks & audiobooks) – Pandora (music is a staple in my life) – Coros (athletic app for my runs, hikes, & snowboarding)
- What is your favorite way to decompress after work? Going for a run with my wonderful husband and boys.