"From the Desk Of" Staff Highlight - December 2021
Dec 23, 2021 12:30 PM
From the Desk Of...
Each month, one staff member from the Department of Internal Medicine will be highlighted in our staff recognition program called "From the Desk Of..." We are fortunate to have such talented staff members, and we want the rest of the department to get to know "the face behind the email."
December's featured staff member is Shelly Turner, an Administrative Program Coordinator from the Division of Rheumatology.
- What is one fun fact about yourself? I am 1 of 8, I have 3 brothers and 4 sisters. I fall right in the middle of the hierarchy of siblings.
- What is your favorite motto/quote? Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- What is the best thing about working at the University of Utah? A forward-thinking, and supportive company that recognize employees are their greatest asset. The versatility of being able to do a variety of tasks and the ability to also work remotely. And, the wonderful support I receive from many in the DOIM.
- What is your favorite book? To Kill A Mockingbird. ~Harper Lee. A book I have enjoyed since I was a child.
- Do you have any pets? Yes, a male Pomeranian named Boom. He is eleven years old and is always mistaken as a puppy and a female, lol. Children love to pet Boom and often comment, “He is so soft and fluffy”. I love it!
- Where do you work? School of Medicine
- How do you prefer to start your day? Waking up early- I’m able to go through my morning routine in a calm and leisurely manner instead of being rushed.
- What was your first job? When I was 16 my first job was at a fast-food restaurant. I feel this helped me start to develop skills needed for the years ahead; communication, respect, leadership, and teamwork.
- What’s a typical day at work like? Every day often brings new challenges.
- What’s the best part of your job? Being acknowledged as a valued employee.
- If you could snap your fingers and become an expert in something, what would it be? A Parenting expert - which is probably the hardest job in the world and absolutely the most rewarding.
- What’s your superpower at work and at home? Agility, being flexible and adaptable to tackle new tasks and responsibilities.
- What is your favorite way to decompress after work? Exercising, Listening to my favorite playlist, and/or Cooking something delectable is a few of my favorite ways to unwind and decompress after a work day.
- If you could eat only one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? A traditional Hawaiian meal with Lau Lau and Poi, YUM!