Residency Application Requirements
To be eligible for appointment to the Housestaff at the University of Utah School of Medicine, an applicant must be one the following:
- A graduate of a US or Canadian medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- A graduate of a college of osteopathic medicine in the United States accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
You are also eligible for residency if you are a graduate of a medical school outside the United States and meet one or more of the following qualifications:
- Have a current valid ECFMG certificate
- Have had one full year of residency training in the US
- Have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a US licensing jurisdiction
National Resident Matching Program
For graduates right out of medical school, all PGY-1 positions will be offered through the National Resident Matching Program. In accordance with NRMP guidelines, positions may not be offered outside the match to individuals or couples who are qualified but not eligible for the NRMP Program.
In addition, applicants must pass Parts I and II of USMLE before they begin training.
All PGY2 and above applicants must pass Parts I, II, and III of USMLE before they begin training.
We provide the following materials to applicants who request program information:
- Introduction letter from the program director
- Program brochure
- Graduate medicine education brochure
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology selects residents interested in our program through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) through the dean's office of their medical school or the ECFMG office.
Per the recommendation from the Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology (CREOG) we are instituting the following speciality wide standards for the obgyn residency application and interview process:
- The application deadline is November 1, 2020
- Interview offers will start to go out November 10th and 17th
- We kindly ask that you respond within 72 hours from receipt of invitation to interview
- We will inform you of your status with our program no later than December 23, 2020
Applicants must include the following materials with their application:
- Application using Common Application Form (CAF)
- Curriculum vitae and personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- Dean's letter
- Medical school transcripts
- USMLE scores Step 1 and, if available, Step II (PGY2 or above: Step III must be taken before starting).
Applicants may also include additional information such as research activity and community involvement.
Applicants who have already graduated from medical school and are currently in a residency program but would like to transfer must include the following items in addition to the above:
- Letter from current program director
- Notarized proof of graduation from medical school with date of graduation
International Medical Graduates
International medical graduates must meet the following requirements in addition to the above:
- Copy of green card, visa (J-1) or documentation of US citizenship
- Valid ECFGM certificate with clinical skills assessment certification
Candidates for the program are selected based on their preparedness, ability, academic credentials, communications skills, and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity.
The University of Utah Office of Health Equity & Inclusion
(New information coming soon)
The University of Utah Office of Health Equity & Inclusion and Graduate Medical Education Office are hosting a social to welcome and recruit residents from underrepresented/historically excluded groups to Utah. Date TBD.
They also offer a Residency Interview Travel Reimbursement which provides travel support up to $500 for 4th year medical students who identify as underrepresented in medicine and have been offered a residency interview at the University of Utah. Applications are accepted on a rotating basis. To apply, please complete this form at least 2 weeks before travel is anticipated: Click Here
Please don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the reimbursements.