Women in Academic Orthopaedics Research Internship
The University of Utah’s Department of Orthopaedics and Office of Health Equity and Inclusion and the American Medical Women’s Association announce the second annual Women in Academic Orthopaedics Research Internship!
Women medical students who have completed their first year of medical school in good standing and are interested in an in-depth orthopaedic research experience are encouraged to apply.
Work alongside experienced female and male orthopaedic surgeons and mentors on a research project with time shadowing in the clinic and the operating room. Prepare and present a poster featuring your research at a local and national meeting.
Location: University of Utah Orthopaedic Center/Shriner’s Hospital
Hours: 40 hours per week
Duration: 8–10 weeks (July–Sept) *mandatory minimum is 8 weeks
Stipend: $4,000–5,000 plus housing
Spotlight of our 2019 recipient on the American Medical Women's Association (WMWA) website - Click here.
The past two years of interns for the Women in Academic Orthopedics are remarkable young women, and friends and colleagues I want to have for a lifetime. It has been such an incredible experience for the past two summers.
It is therefore with a heavy heart that I announce that this summer, due to the pandemic crisis, we have agreedto postpone the internship for the summer of 2020 and recommence 2021. I sincerely apologize for this situation, but feel that this is the safest option for this unpredictable time.
Thank you all for your interest and please stay healthy.
Kristen Carroll, MD
2021 Preliminary Dates
- Application process opens: January 15, 2021
- Application process closes: March 31, 2021
- Candidate interviews (Phone/Skype meeting): April 1 – April 9, 2021
- Selection notifications to candidates: April 10, 2021
- Research internship: Summer 2021
- We understand that not all summer breaks are the same. Please forward your earliest start date and latest possible end date. Please note that the internship requires applicants to commit a minimum of 8 weeks ($4,000 stipend) and up to 10 weeks ($5,000 stipend). We anticipate accepting 2 students and will finalize the schedule to maximize the experience for the successful applicants.
- Presentations at the AMWA Annual Meeting: September 2021
*Travel, hotel and meeting registration covered by the program.