Teaching & Education
Fellows have many opportunities to develop and improve their teaching technique in a variety of settings. Settings range from one-on-one and small group sessions with families and residents in the Emergency Department, to large group conferences.
With the guidance of a faculty mentor, fellows prepare a formal lecture for the Emergency Department Resident Lecture Series and present it to residents at Primary Children's Hospital and family practice residents.
Our educational conferences are designed to supplement the superb training our fellows receive in the clinical setting, and include components of the six core competencies.
The division’s conferences include the following topics and formats
- PEM lectures
- PEM core concepts/board review
- Interesting case
- Quality Improvement (QI) methods
- Journal club
- Investigational methods
- Ultrasound cases & practice
- Case review
- Critical procedures lab
- ED Quality Improvement & Patient Safety (QUIPS)
Conferences at the hospital are:
- Trauma Performance Improvement & Patient Safety (PIPS)
- Trauma Research & Education
- Pediatric subspecialty fellowship core curriculum
- Primary Children’s Hospital Grand Rounds
- University of Utah Pediatric Residency Noon conference