Prerequisites for Fellowship:
To be considered, the applicant must have completed an accredited three-year pediatric residency by the beginning of the fellowship program. Fellowship applicants must be board certified in pediatrics by the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) or must be eligible to sit for the ABP general pediatric examination during the first year of fellowship training. The applicant must be a US citizen, permanent resident, or hold a J-1 visa. No other visas are accepted.
Application Requirements Checklist:
We accept applications until September 1st through the on-line Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
All documents below must be submitted through ERAS:
- Online application through ERAS
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Personal statement (one page maximum) this should detail your motivation for choosing pediatric safe & healthy families and your future career plans
- Recent photograph
- Copies of USMLE scores or COMLEX scores
- Medical school transcript
- Letters of Recommendation
International Medical Graduates must meet the following requirements in addition to the above:
- Copy of green card, visa (J-1 only) or documentation of U.S. citizenship. The University of Utah GME Office requires that International Medical Graduates hold a J-1 visa before the MATCH deadline. Pediatric Safe & Healthy is not allowed to rank a foreign medical graduate unless they hold a J-1 visa. If you have questions about this requirement, please contact our Graduate Medical Education Office at 801-581-2401.
- Valid ECFMG certificate with Clinical Skills Assessment certification.
- Evidence of a minimum of six months of some type of clinical experience in the United States in an academic affiliated hospital as evidenced by two letters of recommendation from physicians with some type of academic affiliation with whom they have worked.
Application Timeline and Selection Procedure
We participate in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) for the selection of first-year fellows. Applicants apply directly to the department and register with the NRMP.
- July 1: Applicants can begin to apply to program.
- August 12: Program begins to download applications.
- September 1st: Deadline for application completion. Incomplete applications after this date will not be considered.
- September to November: Invitations to interview are granted.
- December: MATCH Results