Skip to main content

Application Process

  • In order to qualify for our Graduate Certificate programs, students must complete the following:
    • Admissions Application - Submit an Undergraduate Admissions Application through the Office of Admissions and please make sure to indicate "Non-Matriculated" as your status within the application.
    • Certificate Program Application - Next submit our departmental certificate program application and make sure to upload a statement of purpose (not to exceed 500 words) and submit unofficial transcripts.

Admission Standards

To be eligible to register as a non-matriculated student through the University, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Prior College or University experience
    • Graduated from high school
    • Received a GED with a composite score of 550 and no individual score below 500
    • Must have left prior college or university on good standing
    • A cumulative GPA of 3.0
  • International Admissions - International students on visas may be eligible for non-matriculated status, but please contact the International Admissions Office at the link provided for further information. 
    • English Proficiency Requirement - All International students must meet the standard English proficiency requirement per the University Office of Admissions.

Non-Matriculated Student Status

Once permitted to register as a non-matriculated student per the University, you may register and continue to take classes each term within our department until you have completed your program. Please note you will have 4 years from the date of admittance to complete your certificate program. You will be required to continue to maintain good standing with our department and the University. If unable to register in a subsequent semester, students will be required to re-apply. 

Credit Towards a Degree

Credit earned as a non-matriculated student will only be applied toward a degree after you become a matriculated (degree-seeking) student.  A maximum of 30 semester credit hours earned as a non-matriculated student may be applied towards an undergraduate degree. 9 semester credit hours of graduate coursework may be applied towards an advanced degree.

*All Non-matriculated students will be classified as a resident or nonresident for University tuition purposes. Non-matriculated students are not eligible for Financial Aid or Scholarships.*