School of Medicine

Division of Occupational & Environmental Health

How to Apply

For the summer term, we offer a summer only non-matriculated status* for students who are enrolled at another university or college and want to take summer classes to transfer back to their institutions. These students do not have to meet the requirements for non matriculated status but must have completed at least one term at their institution and be in good standing. We do not require that transcripts be sent from their institution. Summer only students will only be allowed to take classes during the summer term.

Application Process

  1. Submit the application for undergraduate admission and indicate "Non-Matriculated" in the application.
  2. Pay the $45 application fee; the non-refundable application fee must be submitted with your application. (A $30 late fee will be required after the deadline, until the final cut-off date.) Please do not send cash.

Admission Standards

To be eligible to register as a non-matriculated student, you must:

  • Have graduated from high school at least three years ago.
  • Be a domestic US student. Students on visas may be eligible for non-matriculated status. Please contact our office for more information. Permanent residents, asylum, refugee, and students on visas must meet our English proficiency requirement.
  • If you took the GED, a composite score of 550 with no individual score below 500 is required.
  • Be in good standing at the last college or university attended and have a GPA of at least 2.6

Maintaining Non-Matriculated Student Status

Once permission to register as a non-matriculated student has been granted, you may continue to take classes each term as long as you stay in good standing with the University. If you do not register for a fall or spring semester, then you will need to re-apply if you want to begin taking classes again.

Credit Towards a Degree

Credit earned as a non-matriculated student will only be applied toward a degree after you become a matriculated (degree-seeking) student. A maximum of 30 semester hours of credit earned as a non-matriculated student may be applied toward an undergraduate degree. Nine hours of graduate credit may be considered toward an advanced degree.

Each non-matriculated student will be classified as a resident or nonresident for tuition purposes. Non-matriculated students are NOT eligible for Financial Aid or Scholarships

*Non-matriculated students have permission to register, but are not working toward a degree: Students taking classes for credit are usually admitted to the University of Utah as matriculated (degree-seeking) students, but in some situations students are given permission to register as a non-matriculated student.