General (No Emphasis)
The COSH option for general occupational safety and health will be appropriate for baccalaureate prepared students seeking recognition of additional competency in occupational health and safety or advance in their careers. Some of the COSH students will already have jobs with occupational safety and health (OSH) responsibilities and can focus some of the courses for the COSH as they apply to their area of interest. Many of these students already having jobs with OSH responsibilities will be seeking to improve their knowledge and skills to better perform or advance in their careers. Some of the COSH students in the general OSH option will likely continue to master’s or doctoral studies in OSH.
The program objectives for COSH students in the General Occupational Safety and Health option is for them at a minimum learn how to:
- Manage occupational and/or environmental health (OEH) programs.
- Learn how to design and conduct studies, such as epidemiology or industrial hygiene studies, so as to obtain usable information.
- Learn how to critically evaluate data.
- Understand and assess risk posed by potential chemical, physical, and biological hazards.
- Design and evaluate effectiveness of various emission and exposure control methods for potential hazards.
- Effectively communicate to workers, peers, and management using verbal, visual, and written skills.
- Assume increasing independence in effectively managing occupational and environmental health and safety programs.
|Course #||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|FP MD 6370||Occupational Epidemiology||3|
|FP MD 6750||Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene||2|
|FP MD 6760||Administration and Management of Health and Safety Programs||2|
|Required Courses Sub-Total||8|
Elective Courses (Select at least three of the following courses)
|FP MD 6100||Biostatistics I||3|
|FP MD 6703||Clinical and Behavioral Aspects of Occupational Injuries and Diseases||3|
|FP MD 6504||Clinical and Behavioral Aspects of||3|
|FP MD 6752||Introduction to Industrial Toxicology & Physiology||3|
|FP MD 6751||Advanced Industrial Hygiene||3|
|FP MD 6753||Industrial Ventilation||2|
|FP MD 6754||Noise and Other Physical Agents||2|
|FP MD 6756||Hazardous Substances||3|
|FP MD 6730||Quantitative Risk Assessment||3|
|FP MD 6761 / ME EN 6100||Ergonomics||3|
|ME EN 6110||Introduction to Industrial Safety||3|
|ME EN 6120||Human Factors Engineering||3|