Addressing Discrimination & Harrassment

Have You Been Harassed, Mistreated, or Discriminated Against?

Any student who feels that s/he may have been subjected to abuse, illegal discrimination, harassment, or mistreatment of any kind has the right to seek remedy through any one of multiple options. 

The University of Utah will ensure that this process shall be free of retaliation. As a student, you have both informal and formal options available.

How Do I Report Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, or Mistreatment? 

Wherever possible, students are encouraged, but not required, to seek remedy at the most informal level that will adequately and appropriately address the student’s concerns. 

  • Students may meet with the Senior Director of the Academic Success Program. The Senior Director routinely reviews the process for reporting mistreatment in student debriefings, class meetings, and the student handbook.
  • Students may submit a Confidential Report of Mistreatment through a secure UUSOM website to the Senior Director of the Academic Success Program. Reports may be submitted anonymously or with a request to meet with the Senior Director.
  • Students may meet with the individual involved in the complaint and come to an informal mutually agreed upon resolution of the program. The student may wish to bring a representative of the hospital, School of Medicine department, Dean’s Office, or the University to aid in dispute resolution. These representatives may include chief residents, student program directors, department chairs, nurse managers, the Associate Administrator for Patient Care Services, or the School of Medicine Dean. Unless required by law or University policy, there will not be a written record made concerning a matter that is resolved directly between the complainant and the alleged offender.
  • Students may meet with the Associate Dean of Student Affairs to formally report an alleged infraction. Allegations of illegal discrimination or sexual harassment should be referred to the Office of Equal Opportunities and Affirmative Action (OEO/AA). In all other incidents, once the student has supplied the Associate Dean with a written claim of mistreatment, the Dean will conduct a timely investigation of the facts and will assist in any intervention deemed necessary for resolution of the problem. If so desired, the Associate Dean may form an ad hoc advisory board consisting of faculty, residents and students who are not involved in the incident. The majority of complaints against faculty or residents can be dealt with on a departmental basis, with feedback to the faculty member or resident from the department chair or residency director. Most complaints against a staff member can be handled with feedback to the individual by their supervisor.
  • Students may meet with a hospital representative such as a nurse manager or the Associate Administrator for Patient Care Services, or department representatives, such as chief residents, clerkship directors, chairs, or School of Medicine officials, such as the Associate Dean for Student Affairs, to informally discuss a complaint and develop a plan for resolution of the problem.

Disciplinary actions or academic sanctions will be assessed in accordance with the following:

  • Violations of the Standards of Conduct by a faculty member shall be the basis for disciplinary action in accordance with the code of Faculty Rights and Responsibilities.

Contact Us

Academic Success Program
30 North 1900 East, Room 1C029
Salt Lake City, UT 84132

Ella Musuris
Phone: 801-587-9797