- Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence--from Domestic Abuse to Political Terror, by Judith Herman, M.D.; Basic Books; 14th printing ed. (5/1997); 304 p.
- Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character, by Jonathan Shay Simon & Schuster (10/1995); 246 p.
- Recommended Apps or Blogs
- PTSD Coach, free: Helpful for symptoms of combat-related post-traumatic stress, this trusted military app has been downloaded over 100,000 times.
- eCBT Trauma, free: This ambitious prolonged exposure app allows end users to assess their PTSD symptoms, learn relaxation and grounding practices, identify and log their thoughts and feelings, challenge their assumptions and reduce the emotional charge of triggers through progressive exposure exercises. That’s a lot to expect from an app, being as how a lot of prolonged exposure recipients bail on a live therapist, but even if people only do the relaxation and grounding aspects, they’ll be ahead of the game. It also provides access to directories for finding local therapists, support groups and educational information on PTSD.
- Other Supports and Resources