Frequently Asked Questions

What forms do I need to complete for Financial Aid for Medical School?

When should I begin working on my FAFSA?

The 2018-19 FAFSA will be available October 1, 2017.

When is the FAFSA due?

The University Office of Scholarships has a priority filing date of February 1st. After this date, students may still submit their FAFSA for processing.

Do I need to have my taxes done in order to complete the FAFSA?

Yes, it is best to have your taxes done before completing the FAFSA. As the FAFSA requires 2016 tax information, tax information should already be processed by the IRS.

What does "selected for verification" mean?

You will need to complete the Independent Verification form and update tax information on the FAFSA through the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT).

How long does the verification process take?

Verification can take up to 4-6 weeks.

How much financial aid can I borrow each year?

You can borrow up to your Cost of Attendance.

What types of aid are available?

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loans, Federal Graduate PLUS loans, Institutional Scholarships, and Institutional Loans.

What grants are available (i.e. Pell)?

There are no Federal grants available to medical students. Pell grants are only available to undergraduate students.

Are there any scholarships I can apply for?

The medical school has a limited number of Institutional Scholarships to be awarded each year. The amounts range from $500 to $5,000.

How do I apply for the Institutional Scholarships and Loans?

To apply for the Institutional Scholarships and Loans, you must first complete and submit a FAFSA to the Financial Aid Office and then complete the School of Medicine Supplemental Application for Institutional Scholarships and Loans.

When is the Supplemental Application for Institutional Scholarships and Loans due?

Admitted students are eligible to apply through March 15th.

When does packaging/awarding of financial aid take place?

Federal aid is packaged and institutional awards are made in April.

Do I have to sign a new Federal Direct Stafford Loan promissory note every year?

No. You only need to complete the Master Promissory Note when you receive a Federal Direct Stafford Loan for the first time.

How can I tell if my financial aid file is complete?

You can view your financial aid information by accessing the Campus Information System.

Does the School of Medicine have its own financial aid office?

Wendy Clark is the Financial Aid Administrator for the Medical School and her office is located in the School of Medicine, room 1C255. Ms. Clark's Office Hours are 9:00 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday, and students are encouraged to schedule an appointment. Ms. Clark can assist with debt management and most financial aid information such as; completing forms, looking up awards and disbursements, and review checklists. However, all financial aid is processed by the main campus University Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. 

How do I contact the Main Campus Financial Aid Office?

You can call 801-581-6211 or email

Where can I pick up or submit financial aid forms, i.e. verification, additional loan requests, appeals?

Most forms are available online.

Forms are also available in the Student Affairs Financial Aid Administrator's office, Room 1C255 SOM and at the Financial Aid Office on main campus, Room 105 Student Services Building.  Forms can be turned in at either location.


Main campus Financial Aid Office
Phone: 801-581-6211

Make an Appointment
Email Wendy Clark
Hours: 9 am–5:30 pm

Walk-In Appointments, SOM
Thurs, 10 am-2 pm

More Information