Residency & Non-Residency

residency seat pie chart

Residency status for tuition purposes and seat placement will be determined at the time of application by each applicant's legal state/province of residence as indicated on their AMCAS application. Each applicant is responsible for selecting their correct legal state of residence on their AMCAS application. 

Applicants are encouraged to carefully review the School of Medicine Residency Policy. Guidelines are subject to change without notice.

Residency classifications will be confirmed upon acceptance. All information requested on the Utah Residency Application will also be verified upon admittance to the University of Utah School of Medicine by Graduate Admissions.

Click the state below that applies to you to see what additional information may be required. 

Utah Residents 

All applicants who list Utah as their legal state residence on their AMCAS application, have graduated from a Utah high school, college, or university, enlisted in the military, or have American Indian heritage will be required to fill out the Utah Residency Application as part of the secondary application.

The Utah Residency Application requires submission of the following information:

  • Driver's license/state ID
  • Tax information
  • Activities for the past 3 years
  • Military experience
  • American Indian heritage

If the information gathered by the Utah Residency Application is not sufficient to approve Utah residency at the time of application, a preliminary non-resident status may be assigned.

Upon acceptance, applicants who have met all in-state residency requirements, have listed Utah as their legal state of residency on AMCAS, and were initially classified as a non-resident at time of application may be eligible to petition for in-state classification with the Graduate Admissions Office.

Students wishing to appeal their first year residency status must receive written approval from the School of Medicine prior to requesting a status change with the Residency office. Varying documentation proving Utah residency may be requested by the Residency office, including but not limited to:

  • Driver's license/state ID
  • Voter registration 
  • Federal and state tax information
  • Documentation of past activities (transcripts, pay stubs, etc.)
  • Military ties (DD-214, military privilege card, etc.)
  • American Indian heritage (Certificate of Blood)

All reclassification requests and documentation must be submitted by the specified deadlines. Change of status is not guaranteed, even with approval from the School of Medicine. More information about residency, reclassification, and institutional policy can be found here.

back to top

Idaho Residents

The University of Utah School of Medicine accepts 10 Idaho students each year through a partnership with the state of Idaho.

Idaho applicants must be certified through the state of Idaho as residents of Idaho prior to completing their secondary application. Once Idaho certification is approved, the state of Idaho pays the difference between in-state and out of state tuition for Idaho residents.  

If the state certification is approved, the applicant will be considered an Idaho resident for all 4 years of medical school and will not be eligible to petition for Utah residency after the first year. 

Idaho students will also pay a surcharge to a fund administered by the state of Idaho that is designed to assist in loan repayment for graduates who return to practice primary care in Idaho. Information about this program is available at Idaho State University website or calling 208-282-3900.

Note: If you have completed a residency certification for the WWAMI program, the University of Idaho will provide a copy of your certification to Idaho State University. Applicants only need to submit a residency certification through one institution. 

Click here for answers to frequently asked questions about our Idaho medical students.

back to top

Montana & Wyoming Residents

Through the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) Professional Student Exchange Program (PSEP), incoming Montana and Wyoming students who are certified residents of their home states may be eligible to attend the U of U School of Medicine at reduced or resident tuition rates. 

Wyoming and Montana applicants must apply for resident certification through their home states no later than October 15th of the year prior to admission. Applicants must be certified through their home states prior to completion of the secondary application. 

If the state certification is approved and PSEP funding is awarded, the applicant will be considered a resident of their home state for all 4 years of medical school and will not be eligible to petition for Utah residency after the first year. 

If the applicant is awarded PSEP support, that funding (provided by their home state) will cover the majority of the difference in cost between resident and non-resident tuition. 

Applicants who are not awarded PSEP funding, will pay non-resident tuition rates for the entirety of their medical school experience. 

For more information about state certification and WICHE PSEP, click here.

back to top


Applicants who indicate any legal state other than Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, or who have not graduated from a Utah high school, college, or university will immediately be classified as non-residents for tuition purposes and seat placement. 

This status will be confirmed upon acceptance and cannot be changed for at least the first year of enrollment, except in situations where the applicant meets the requirement for a military, American Indian, or Utah high school graduate exception. Information regarding exceptions and institutional policy can be found here.

Beginning Fall Semester 2021 or later, non-resident students (except those who indicated on their AMCAS application that their states of residence include Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming) are eligible for residency reclassification one year after their medical school studies commence. Students interested in reclassifying must meet the criteria outlined in the School of Medicine Residency Policy and submit all requested documentation by the specified deadlines. Information regarding reclassifying residency can be found here.

back to top



Phone: 801-581-7498
              800-444-8638 ext. 17498

Fax: 801-581-2931

Eccles Health Sciences Education Building (HSEB), Suite 5900

26 South 2000 East

Salt Lake City, UT 84112