Applications are only accepted through ERAS.
Categorical position's program code: 4404921340
Application Review: This involves a rigorous screening and scoring process in which those with the highest scores move on to interview selection. The following items are required to complete the application process (incomplete applications will not be eligible for review):
- Standard ERAS application, Association of American Medical Colleges - Complete this web-based application through your dean's office.
- Three letters - At least three letters from general surgeons who know you well and are willing to describe the clinical strengths that you have displayed on their services. Letters from non-surgeons are useful but not as valuable in determining your suitability as a house officer. Past performance and clinical success are the best predictors of future success in our program; therefore, clinicians who have observed you closely as an acting intern can provide the best letters.
International Medical Graduates
The University of Utah Hospital/School of Medicine accepts applications from international medical graduates. A foreign medical graduate must meet the following requirements:
- General surgery department requirement - one year of hands-on clinical experience in the United States within the last two years.
- When you are offered a residency position and have a firm contract, then ECFMG will sponsor your visa.
- The University of Utah will accept ONLY a J1 visa for residency training, and ECFMG will sponsor that visa.