WINO Conference on April 3, 2020 has been Cancelled due to
COVID-19, please see the letter below for more information
March 10, 2020
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we have continued to monitor the COVID-19 (coronavirus). We have been closely following the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the coronavirus continues to spread globally. Unfortunately, we have been instructed by the University Officials to cancel the 2020 Western Intermountain Neurologic Organization (WINO) Conference.
The governors of many states (including Utah) have declared states of emergency due to COVID-19. The University of Utah leadership has discussed the situation at-length, in coordination with our epidemiology and infectious disease medical professionals to support the best evidence-based decision.
Effective immediately, the University of Utah is restricting all university-related business travel for faculty, staff, and students, and recommending cancellations for events through April 30, 2020. This will be the first time in over 30 years that the WINO meeting has been cancelled, but it is now clear in order to meet our obligation to protect the health and safety of our speakers and attendees, in addition to the vital healthcare providers tasked with keeping global communities healthy that cancellation is the proper action to take. This move was further confirmed by concerns received from several attendees and speakers, cancellations of similarly sized conferences globally, as well as a growing volume of confirmed cases of coronavirus throughout the country. In light of these factors, we determined it would be an unacceptable risk to bring people together in SLC this month.
While we are disappointed with this outcome, we feel it is critical at this troubled time. We are working to refund all your conference registration in full over the next 2 weeks, if you have not already contacted us about transferring your registration from 2020 to the fall planned conference date. We have been informed that you can cancel your hotel reservations with the Marriott without a penalty prior to 48 hours prior to the hotel reservation date, and most major airlines are now not charging a cancellation or change fee for coronavirus cancelled travel plans.
We hope that you can join us for the fall 2020 Western Intermountain Neurological Organization meeting Friday, October 9, 2020
Thank you again, and stay safe.
Stacey Clardy MD, PhD
Kathleen Digre MD
On behalf of the Western Intermountain Neurological Organization Committee