Amanda V. Bakian, PhD
- Experimental Design, Outcomes Research
- Geographical Epidemiology
- Gene-Environment Interaction
- Public Health Surveillance Systems
- Spatial Statistics
- Departments: Family and Preventive Medicine - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Psychiatry - Research Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Child Psychiatry, Public Health
Academic Office Information
Department of Psychiatry
650 Komas Drive, Room: 206
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Bakian joined the Department of Psychiatry in 2010 as epidemiologist for the Utah Registry of Autism and Developmental Disabilities (URADD). Her research is in the geographical, environmental and gene-environmental epidemiology of psychiatric conditions including autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and related developmental disorders, and suicide. She is interested in understanding how environmental contributors modify and mediate the relationship between genetic risk factors and risk of psychiatric conditions including ASD and suicide. In addition, she studies how patterns of macro and micro-scale geographical, environmental, and sociodemographic variables influence the spatial distribution of risk for psychiatric conditions. Her statistical expertise is in the design and analysis of observational studies and the formulation of explanatory models to identify environmental, sociodemographic, and birth risk factors involved in the etiology of psychiatric conditions. Amanda contributes to the operation of two public health surveillance systems in Utah. She is Director and Epidemiologist of URADD as well as co-investigator of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Utah Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring site.
|Post Graduate Training||University of Utah
Comparative Effectiveness Research
|Doctoral Training||Utah State University
|Graduate Training||Utah State University
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Pearson DA, Kirby RS, Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Harrington RA, Pettygrove S, Zahorodny WM, Moye LA 3rd, Durkin M, Slay Wingate M (2017). Autism spectrum disorder reporting in lower socioeconomic neighborhoods. Autism, 21(4), 470-480.
- Bilder DA, Bakian AV, Stevenson DA, Carbone PS, Cunniff C, Goodman AB, McMahon WM, Fisher NP, Viskochil D (2016). Brief Report: The Prevalence of Neurofibromatosis Type 1 among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder Identified by the Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network. J Autism Dev Disord, 46(10), 3369-76.
- McGlade E, Bakian A, Coon H, Yurgelun-Todd D, Callor WB, Byrd J, Gray D (2016). Male suspected suicide decedents in Utah: A comparison of Veterans and nonveterans. Compr Psychiatry, 69, 1-10.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Harrington RA, Pettygrove S, Kirby RS, Durkin MS, Han I, Moye LA 3rd, Pearson DA, Wingate MS, Zahorodny WM (2016). Autism spectrum disorder prevalence and associations with air concentrations of lead, mercury, and arsenic. Environ Monit Assess, 188(7), 407.
- Ruiz LM, Damron M, Jones KB, Weedon D, Carbone PS, Bakian AV, Bilder DA (2016). Antipsychotic Use and Metabolic Monitoring in Individuals with Developmental Disabilities Served in a Medicaid Medical Home. J Autism Dev Disord, 46(6), 1887-94.
- Jones KB, Cottle K, Bakian A, Farley M, Bilder D, Coon H, McMahon WM (2016). A description of medical conditions in adults with autism spectrum disorder: A follow-up of the 1980s Utah/UCLA Autism Epidemiologic Study. Autism, 20(5), 551-61.
- Cannon DS, Medina TR, Mermelstein RJ, Hedeker D, Bakian AV, Coon H, Cook EH, Hamil C, Weiss RB (2016). CYP2A6 Longitudinal Effects in Young Smokers. Nicotine Tob Res, 18(2), 196-203.
- Dickerson AS, Rahbar MH, Han I, Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Harrington RA, Pettygrove S, Durkin M, Kirby RS, Wingate MS, Tian LH, Zahorodny WM, Pearson DA, Moye LA 3rd, Baio J (2015). Autism spectrum disorder prevalence and proximity to industrial facilities releasing arsenic, lead or mercury. Sci Total Environ, 536, 245-51.
- Bakian AV, Huber RS, Coon H, Gray D, Wilson P, McMahon WM, Renshaw PF (2015). Bakian et al. respond to "Assessing air pollution and suicide risk". Am J Epidemiol, 181(5), 309-10.
- Bakian AV, Huber RS, Coon H, Gray D, Wilson P, McMahon WM, Renshaw PF (2015). Acute air pollution exposure and risk of suicide completion. Am J Epidemiol, 181(5), 295-303.
- Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Coon H, McMahon WM (2015). Spatial relative risk patterns of autism spectrum disorders in Utah. J Autism Dev Disord, 45(4), 988-1000.
- Bakian AV, Bilder DA, Carbone PS, Hunt TD, Petersen B, Rice CE (2015). Brief report: independent validation of autism spectrum disorder case status in the Utah Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring (ADDM) Network Site. J Autism Dev Disord, 45(3), 873-80.
- Gray D, Coon H, McGlade E, Callor WB, Byrd J, Viskochil J, Bakian A, Yurgelun-Todd D, Grey T, McMahon WM (2014). Comparative analysis of suicide, accidental, and undetermined cause of death classification. Suicide Life Threat Behav, 44(3), 304-16.
- Darlington TM, Pimentel R, Smith K, Bakian AV, Jerominski L, Cardon J, Camp NJ, Callor WB, Grey T, Singleton M, Yandell M, Renshaw PF, Yurgelun-Todd DA, Gray D, Coon H (2014). Identifying rare variants for genetic risk through a combined pedigree and phenotype approach: application to suicide and asthma. Transl Psychiatry, 4, e471.
- Maenner MJ, Rice CE, Arneson CL, Cunniff C, Schieve LA, Carpenter LA, Van Naarden Braun K, Kirby RS, Bakian AV, Durkin MS (2014). Potential impact of DSM-5 criteria on autism spectrum disorder prevalence estimates. JAMA Psychiatry, 71(3), 292-300.
- Coon H, Darlington T, Pimentel R, Smith KR, Huff CD, Hu H, Jerominski L, Hansen J, Klein M, Callor WB, Byrd J, Bakian A, Crowell SE, McMahon WM, Rajamanickam V, Camp NJ, McGlade E, Yurgelun-Todd D, Grey T, Gray D (2013). Genetic risk factors in two Utah pedigrees at high risk for suicide. Transl Psychiatry, 3, e325.
- Bilder DA, Bakian AV, Viskochil J, Clark EA, Botts EL, Smith KR, Pimentel R, McMahon WM, Coon H (2013). Maternal prenatal weight gain and autism spectrum disorders. Pediatrics, 132(5), e1276-83.
- Bilder DA, Burton BK, Coon H, Leviton L, Ashworth J, Lundy BD, Vespa H, Bakian AV, Longo N (2013). Psychiatric symptoms in adults with phenylketonuria. Mol Genet Metab, 108(3), 155-60.
- Bilder DA, Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bakian AV, Miller JS, Dorius JT, Nangle B, McMahon WM (2013). Prenatal and perinatal factors associated with intellectual disability. Am J Intellect Dev Disabil, 118(2), 156-76.
- Bakian AV, Sullivan KA, Paxton EH (2012). Elucidating spatially-explicit behavioral landscapes in the Willow Flycatcher. Ecol Modell, 232, 119-132.
- Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bakian AV, Fombonne E, Bilder D, Taylor J, McMahon WM (2012). Changes in the administrative prevalence of autism spectrum disorders: contribution of special education and health from 2002-2008. J Autism Dev Disord, 42(4), 521-30.
- Pinborough-Zimmerman J, Bilder D, Bakian A, Satterfield R, Carbone PS, Nangle BE, Randall H, McMahon WM (2011). Sociodemographic risk factors associated with autism spectrum disorders and intellectual disability. Autism Res, 4(6), 438-48.
- Lorenz T, Sullivan KA, Bakian AV, Aubry C (2011). Cache-size selection in Clark’s Nutcracker (Nucifraga Columbiana). The Auk: a quarterly journal of ornithology, 128(2), 237-247.
- Bakian AV, Sullivan KA (2010). The effectiveness of institutional intervention on minimizing demographic inertia and improving the representation of women faculty in higher education. International Journal of Gender, Science and Technology, 2, 206-234.
- Zimmerman-Pinborough J, Bakian AV (2010). Utah autism rates climb. Utah Special Educator, 33, 10-11.