Lisa A. Lesniewski, MA, PhD
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Associate Professor, Nutrition and Integrative Physiology - Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Geriatrics
Academic Office Information
VA - Building #2
VA Salt Lake City GRECC 182
500 S Foothill Dr
Salt Lake City, UT 84148
Dr. Lesniewski is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Geriatrics and is also an Adjunct Assistant Professor with the Department of Physiology. Her research is focused on how advancing age and obesity interact leading to vascular and metabolic dysfunction. She is a GRECC investigator and the Co-Principal Investigator of the Translational Vascular Physiology Lab.Dr. Lesniewski's primary research interest is to understand how aging modulates the susceptibility of the vascular and metabolic systems to the deleterious effects of obesity. Within this general research area, Dr. Lesniewski examines the role that adipose inflammation plays in inducing systemic metabolic and vascular dysfunction with aging and high fat feeding, as well as the role of adipose tissue and adipose artery dysfunction in this systemic dysfunction. To examine these interests, Dr. Lesniewski utilizes dietary and genetic manipulation of rodent models to examine whole body and in vitro metabolic and vascular function.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of Colorado-Boulder
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of California-San Diego
|Doctoral Training||Texas A&M University
|Graduate Training||Kent State University
|Undergraduate||Ohio State University
- Lesniewski LA, Seals DR, Walker AE, Henson GD, Blimline MW, Trott DW, Bosshardt GC, LaRocca TJ, Lawson BR, Zigler MC, Donato AJ (2016). Dietary rapamycin supplementation reverses age-related vascular dysfunction and oxidative stress, while modulating nutrient sensing, cell-cycle and senescence pathways. Aging Cell, 6, 17-26.
- Trott DW, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2017). Selected life-extending interventions reduce arterial CXCL10 and macrophage colony-stimulating factor in aged mouse arteries. Cytokine, 96, 102-106.
- Trott DW, Henson GD, Ho MH, Allison SA, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2016). Age-related arterial immune cell infiltration in mice is attenuated by caloric restriction or voluntary exercise.LID - S0531-5565(16)30348-5 [pii]LID - 10.1016/j.exger.2016.12.016 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) Exp Gerontol.
- Hazra S, Henson GD, Morgan RG, Breevoort SR, Ives SJ, Richardson RS, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA (2016). Experimental reduction of miR-92a mimics arterial aging. Exp Gerontol, 83, 165-70.
- Walker AE, Morgan RG, Ives SJ, Cawthon RM, Andtbacka RH, Noyes D, Lesniewski LA, Richardson RS, Donato AJ (2016). Age-related arterial telomere uncapping and senescence is greater in women compared with men. Exp Gerontol, 73, 65-71.
- Gibson CC, Davis CT, Zhu W, Bowman-Kirigin JA, Walker AE, Tai Z, Thomas KR, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA, Li DY (2015). Dietary Vitamin D and Its Metabolites Non-Genomically Stabilize the Endothelium. PLoS One, 10(10), e0140370.
- Walker AE, Henson GD, Reihl KD, Morgan RG, Dobson PS, Nielson EI, Ling J, Mecham RP, Li DY, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2015). Greater impairments in cerebral artery compared with skeletal muscle feed artery endothelial function in a mouse model of increased large artery stiffness. J Physiol, 593(8), 1931-43.
- Gibson CC, Zhu W, Davis CT, Bowman-Kirigin JA, Chan AC, Ling J, Walker AE, Goitre L, Delle Monache S, Retta SF, Shiu YT, Grossmann AH, Thomas KR, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA, Whitehead KJ, Li DY (2015). Strategy for identifying repurposed drugs for the treatment of cerebral cavernous malformation. Circulation, 131(3), 289-99.
- Donato AJ, Henson GD, Hart CR, Layec G, Trinity JD, Bramwell RC, Enz RA, Morgan RG, Reihl KD, Hazra S, Walker AE, Richardson RS, Lesniewski LA (2014). The impact of ageing on adipose structure, function and vasculature in the B6D2F1 mouse: evidence of significant multisystem dysfunction. J Physiol, 592(Pt 18), 4083-96.
- Morgan RG, Ives SJ, Walker AE, Cawthon RM, Andtbacka RH, Noyes D, Lesniewski LA, Richardson RS, Donato AJ (2014). Role of arterial telomere dysfunction in hypertension: relative contributions of telomere shortening and telomere uncapping. J Hypertens, 32(6), 1293-9.
- Henson GD, Walker AE, Reihl KD, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA (2014). Dichotomous mechanisms of aortic stiffening in high-fat diet fed young and old B6D2F1 mice. Physiol Rep, 2(3), e00268.
- Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA, Stuart D, Walker AE, Henson G, Sorensen L, Li D, Kohan DE (2014). Smooth muscle specific disruption of the endothelin-A receptor in mice reduces arterial pressure, and vascular reactivity and affects vascular development. Life Sci, 118(2), 238-43.
- Walker AE, Henson GD, Reihl KD, Nielson EI, Morgan RG, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2014). Beneficial effects of lifelong caloric restriction on endothelial function are greater in conduit arteries compared to cerebral resistance arteries. Age (Dordr), 36(2), 559-69.
- Donato AJ, Walker AE, Magerko KA, Bramwell RC, Black AD, Henson GD, Lawson BR, Lesniewski LA, Seals DR (2013). Life-long caloric restriction reduces oxidative stress and preserves nitric oxide bioavailability and function in arteries of old mice. Aging Cell, 12(5), 772-83.
- Lesniewski LA, Zigler ML, Durrant JR, Nowlan MJ, Folian BJ, Donato AJ, Seals DR (2013). Aging compounds western diet-associated large artery endothelial dysfunction in mice: Prevention by voluntary aerobic exercise. Exp Gerontol, 48(11), 1218-1225.
- Morgan RG, Ives SJ, Lesniewski LA, Cawthon RM, Andtbacka RH, Noyes RD, Richardson RS, Donato AJ (2013). Age-related telomere uncapping is associated with cellular senescence and inflammation independent of telomere shortening in human arteries. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 305(2), H251-8.
- Davis RT 3rd, Stabley JN, Dominguez JM 2nd, Ramsey MW, McCullough DJ, Lesniewski LA, Delp MD, Behnke BJ (2013). Differential effects of aging and exercise on intra-abdominal adipose arteriolar function and blood flow regulation. J Appl Physiol, 114(6), 808-15.