Benjamin Haaland, PhD
- Meta-Analytic Approaches to Comparative Effectiveness
- Experimental Design and Modeling Techniques for Non-Parametric Regression Problems and Machine Learning
- Departments: Population Health Sciences - Associate Professor
- Divisions: Biostatistics
From 2010-2014, Ben Haaland was an assistant professor in the Centre for Quantitative Medicine at Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School, Singapore and from 2014-2017, Ben was an assistant professor in the School of Industrial and Systems Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology. Ben joined the University of Utah in 2017.
Ben Halland's overall research agenda is focused on two areas, evidence-based medicine and design and analysis for large-scale and high-dimensional non-linear regression problems. Ben’s evidence-based medicine research is directed towards using objective, quantitative evidence to inform decision making in health care, from tailoring therapies to individual patients, to estimating burden of disease, to using predictive analytics to improve diagnostic accuracy, to assessing effectiveness of interventions. Ben’s large-scale and high-dimensional non-linear regression research is largely directed towards methodology enabling the usage of computer simulations to study real systems of interest for which actual experimentation is difficult or impossible.
|Doctoral Training||University of Wisconsin–Madison
|Internship||Eli Lilly and Company
|Internship||IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center
|Graduate Training||Montana State University
|Undergraduate||Montana State University
- dos Santos LV, Lessa MAO, Lima SN JP, Haaland B, Lopes GL (2016). Curative-Intent Surgery for Pancreatic Tumors: A Review of Procedures From the Brazilian National Health System. Journal of Global Oncology.
- Luciola P, Shafaee MN, Haaland B, Lopes G (2016). Surgery for CNS Tumors in the Brazilian National Health Care System. Journal of Global Oncology.
- Sloan RA, Haaland BA, Sawada SS, Lee IM, Sui X, Lee DC, Ridouane Y, Muller-Riemenschneider F, Blair SN (2016). A Fit-Fat Index for Predicting Incident Diabetes in Apparently Healthy Men: A Prospective Cohort Study. PLoS One, 11(6), e0157703.
- Eng LG, Dawood S, Sopik V, Haaland B, Tan PS, Bhoo-Pathy N, Warner E, Iqbal J, Narod SA, Dent R (2016). Ten-year survival in women with primary stage IV breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 160(1), 145-152.
- Finkelstein EA, Haaland BA, Bilger M, Sahasranaman A, Sloan RA, Nang EE, Evenson KR (2016). Effectiveness of activity trackers with and without incentives to increase physical activity (TRIPPA): a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, 4(12), 983-995.
- Donovan D, Haaland B, Nott DJ (2015). A simple approach to constructing quasi-Sudoku-based sliced space-filling designs. Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, 1-14.
- Ang SH, Haaland B, Acharyya S, Thu MM, Krisna SS, Hwang SG, Tan PH, Ng QS, Tan DS, Tai WM, Tan EH, Lim WT, Ang MK (2015). Interactions between clinical factors, p16, and cyclin-D1 expression and survival outcomes in oropharyngeal and hypopharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Head Neck, 37(11), 1650-9.
- Malhotra R, Haaland BA, Chei CL, Chan A, Malhotra C, Matchar DB (2015). Presence of and correction for interviewer error on an instrument assessing cognitive function of older adults. Geriatrics & Gerontology International, 15(3), 372-80.
- Girard MJ, Tun TA, Husain R, Acharyya S, Haaland BA, Wei X, Mari JM, Perera SA, Baskaran M, Aung T, Strouthidis NG (2015). Lamina cribrosa visibility using optical coherence tomography: comparison of devices and effects of image enhancement techniques. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 56(2), 865-74.
- Finkelstein EA, Sahasranaman A, John G, Haaland BA, Bilger M, Sloan RA, Nang EE, Evenson KR (2015). Design and baseline characteristics of participants in the TRial of Economic Incentives to Promote Physical Activity (TRIPPA): a randomized controlled trial of a six month pedometer program with financial incentives. Contemp Clin Trials, 41, 238-47.
- Lai H, Choong CV, Fook-Chong S, Ng YY, Finkelstein EA, Haaland B, Goh ES, Leong BS, Gan HN, Foo D, Tham LP, Charles R, Ong ME (2015). Interventional strategies associated with improvements in survival for out-of-hospital cardiac arrests in Singapore over 10 years. Resuscitation, 89, 155-61.
- Seow DY, Haaland B, Jafar TH (2015). The Association of Prehypertension With Meals Eaten Away From Home in Young Adults in Singapore. Am J Hypertens, 28(10), 1197-200.
- Dawood S, Haaland B, Albaracin C, Gupta S, Cortes J, Sim YY, Dent RA (2015). Is the Proportion of Patients Diagnosed with Synchronous Stage IV Breast Cancer Who Survive More than Two Years Increasing over Time? Oncology, 89(2), 79-87.
- Tan EH, Tan DS, Li WY, Haaland B, Ang MK, Chau NM, Toh CK, Tan IB, Koh TS, Thng CH, Chowbay B, Hui KM, Lim WT, Ng QS (2015). Metronomic vinorelbine (oral) in combination with sorafenib in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 88(3), 289-96.
- Leung YY, Thumboo J, Wong BS, Haaland B, Chowbay B, Chakraborty B, Tan MH, Kraus VB (2015). Colchicine effectiveness in symptom and inflammation modification in knee osteoarthritis (COLKOA): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials, 16, 200.
- Boh C, Li H, Finkelstein E, Haaland B, Xin X, Yap S, Pasupathi Y, Ong ME (2015). Factors Contributing to Inappropriate Visits of Frequent Attenders and Their Economic Effects at an Emergency Department in Singapore. Acad Emerg Med, 22(9), 1025-33.
- Sloan RA, Sawada SS, Martin CK, Haaland B (2015). Combined association of fitness and central adiposity with health-related quality of life in healthy Men: a cross-sectional study. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 13, 188.
- GY Ku, Haaland BA, Ioka T, Isayama H, Nakai Y, Cheng AL, Okusaka T, de Lima Lopes Jr G (2014). Meta-analysis of randomized phase II and phase III trials of gemcitabine with/without S-1 in Asian patients with advanced pancreatic cancer. Revista Brasileira de Oncologia Clinica, 10(35).
- Gramacy RB, Haaland B (2014). Speeding up neighborhood search in local Gaussian process prediction. Technometrics, 58(3).
- Nongpiur ME, Haaland BA, Perera SA, Friedman DS, He M, Sakata LM, Baskaran M, Aung T (2014). Development of a score and probability estimate for detecting angle closure based on anterior segment optical coherence tomography. Am J Ophthalmol, 157(1), 32-38.e1.
- Aftab SA, Tay KH, Irani FG, Gong Lo RH, Gogna A, Haaland B, Tan SG, Chng SP, Pasupathy S, Choong HL, Tan BS (2014). Randomized clinical trial of cutting balloon angioplasty versus high-pressure balloon angioplasty in hemodialysis arteriovenous fistula stenoses resistant to conventional balloon angioplasty. J Vasc Interv Radiol, 25(2), 190-8.
- Tan DS, Haaland B, Gan JM, Tham SC, Sinha I, Tan EH, Lim KH, Takano A, Krisna SS, Thu MM, Liew HP, Ullrich A, Lim WT, Chua BT (2014). Bosutinib inhibits migration and invasion via ACK1 in KRAS mutant non-small cell lung cancer. Mol Cancer, 13, 13.
- Haaland B, Chiang AY (2014). Bayesian semiparametric predictive modeling with applications in dose-response prediction. J Biopharm Stat, 24(2), 294-309.
- Yau TY, Alkandari L, Haaland B, Low W, Tan CH (2014). Is intravenous contrast necessary for detection of clinically significant extracolonic findings in patients undergoing CT colonography? Br J Radiol, 87(1036), 20130667.
- Tan PS, Haaland B, Montero AJ, Kyriakopoulos CE, Lopes G (2014). Hormonal Therapeutics Enzalutamide and Abiraterone Acetate in the Treatment of Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer (mCRPC) Post-docetaxel-an Indirect Comparison. Clin Med Insights Oncol, 8, 29-36.
- Haaland B, Tan PS, de Castro G Jr, Lopes G (2014). Meta-analysis of first-line therapies in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer harboring EGFR-activating mutations. J Thorac Oncol, 9(6), 805-11.
- Haaland B, Chopra A, Acharyya S, Fay AP, Lopes Gde L (2014). Comparative effectiveness of approved first-line anti-angiogenic and molecularly targeted therapeutic agents in the treatment of good and intermediate risk metastatic clear cell renal cell carcinoma. BMC Cancer, 14, 592.
- Liu N, Koh ZX, Goh J, Lin Z, Haaland B, Ting BP, Ong ME (2014). Prediction of adverse cardiac events in emergency department patients with chest pain using machine learning for variable selection. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak, 14, 75.
- Nongpiur ME, Haaland BA, Friedman DS, Perera SA, He M, Foo LL, Baskaran M, Sakata LM, Wong TY, Aung T (2013). Classification algorithms based on anterior segment optical coherence tomography measurements for detection of angle closure. Ophthalmology, 120(1), 48-54.
- Sloan RA, Haaland BA, Leung C, Muller-Riemenschneider F (2013). The use of point-of-decision prompts to increase stair climbing in Singapore. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 10(1), 210-8.
- Ong SY, Ikram MK, Haaland BA, Cheng CY, Saw SM, Wong TY, Cheung CY (2013). Myopia and cognitive dysfunction: the singapore malay eye study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 54(1), 799-803.
- Tan PS, Haaland B, Montero AJ, Lopes G (2013). A meta-analysis of anastrozole in combination with fulvestrant in the first line treatment of hormone receptor positive advanced breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 138(3), 961-5.
- Jafar TH, Haaland BA, Rahman A, Razzak JA, Bilger M, Naghavi M, Mokdad AH, Hyder AA (2013). Non-communicable diseases and injuries in Pakistan: strategic priorities. Lancet, 381(9885), 2281-90.
- Fam J, Rush AJ, Haaland B, Barbier S, Luu C (2013). Visual contrast sensitivity in major depressive disorder. J Psychosom Res, 75(1), 83-6.
- Ong ME, Goh K, Fook-Chong S, Haaland B, Wai KL, Koh ZX, Shahidah N, Lin Z (2013). Heart rate variability risk score for prediction of acute cardiac complications in ED patients with chest pain. Am J Emerg Med, 31(8), 1201-7.
- Sloan RA, Haaland BA, Leung C, Padmanabhan U, Koh HC, Zee A (2013). Cross-validation of a non-exercise measure for cardiorespiratory fitness in Singaporean adults. Singapore Med J, 54(10), 576-80.
- Ong SY, Cheung CY, Li X, Lamoureux EL, Ikram MK, Ding J, Cheng CY, Haaland BA, Saw SM, Venketasubramanian N, Chen CP, Wong TY (2012). Visual impairment, age-related eye diseases, and cognitive function: the Singapore Malay Eye study. Arch Ophthalmol, 130(7), 895-900.
- Ku GY, Haaland BA, de Lima Lopes G Jr (2012). Cetuximab in the first-line treatment of K-ras wild-type metastatic colorectal cancer: the choice and schedule of fluoropyrimidine matters. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 70(2), 231-8.
- Rahman F, Bose S, Linnan M, Rahman A, Mashreky S, Haaland B, Finkelstein E (2012). Cost-effectiveness of an injury and drowning prevention program in Bangladesh. Pediatrics, 130(6), e1621-8.
- Riley CM, Haaland BA, Love SR, Matchar DB (2012). Expert estimates of caregiver hours for older Singaporeans with dementia. Australasian Journal on Ageing, 31(4), 255-9.
- Xu X, Haaland B, Qian PZG (2011). Sudoku-based space-filling designs. Biometrika, 98(3), 711-20.
- Haaland B, Qian PZG (2011). Accurate emulators for large-scale computer experiments. Ann Stat, 39(6), 2974-3002.
- Ku GY, Haaland BA, de Lima Lopes G Jr (2011). Gefitinib vs. chemotherapy as first-line therapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: meta-analysis of phase III trials. Lung Cancer, 74(3), 469-73.
- Haaland B, Min W, Qian PZ, Amemiya Y (2010). A Statistical Approach to Thermal Management of Data Centers Under Steady State and System Perturbations. J Am Stat Assoc, 105(491), 1030-1041.
- Haaland B, Qian PZ (2010). An Approach to Constructing Nested Space-Filling Designs for Multi-Fidelity Computer Experiments. Stat Sin, 20(3), 1063-1075.
- Lee KS, Ablove RH, Singh S, De Smet AA, Haaland B, Fine JP (2009). Ultrasound imaging of normal displacement of the extensor carpi ulnaris tendon within the ulnar groove in 12 forearm-wrist positions. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 193(3), 651-5.
- De Smet AA, Nathan DH, Graf BK, Haaland BA, Fine JP (2008). Clinical and MRI findings associated with false-positive knee MR diagnoses of medial meniscal tears. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 191(1), 93-9.
- Blankenbaker DG, Ullrick SR, Davis KW, De Smet AA, Haaland B, Fine JP (2008). Correlation of MRI findings with clinical findings of trochanteric pain syndrome. Skeletal Radiol, 37(10), 903-9.
- Boik RJ, Haaland B (2005). Second-order accurate inference on simple, partial, and multiple correlations. Journal of Modern Applied Statistical Methods, 5(2), 2.
- Tan PS, Lopes G, Acharyya S, Bilger M, Haaland B (2015). Bayesian network meta-comparison of maintenance treatments for stage IIIb/IV non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients with good performance status not progressing after first-line induction chemotherapy: results by performance status, EGFR mutation, histology and response to previous induction. [Review]. Eur J Cancer, 51(16), 2330-44.
- Snow GE, Haaland B, Ooi EE, Gubler DJ (2014). Review article: Research on dengue during World War II revisited. [Review]. Am J Trop Med Hyg, 91(6), 1203-17.
- Lee CH, Haaland B, Earnest A, Tan CH (2013). Use of positive oral contrast agents in abdominopelvic computed tomography for blunt abdominal injury: meta-analysis and systematic review. [Review]. European Radiology, 23(9), 2513-21.
- Bee YM, Batcagan-Abueg AP, Chei CL, Do YK, Haaland B, Goh SY, Lee PC, Chiam PP, Ho ET, Matchar DB (2016). A Smartphone Application to Deliver a Treat-to-Target Insulin Titration Algorithm in Insulin-Naive Patients With Type 2 Diabetes: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial [Letter to the editor]. Diabetes Care, 39(10), e174-6.
- Liu N, Goh J, Lin Z, Koh ZX, Fook-Chong S, Haaland B, Wai KL, Ting BP, Shahidah N, Ong ME (2014). Validation of a risk scoring model for prediction of acute cardiac complications in chest pain patients presenting to the Emergency Department [Letter to the editor]. Int J Cardiol, 176(3), 1091-3.
- Liu N, Lee MA, Ho AF, Haaland B, Fook-Chong S, Koh ZX, Pek PP, Chua EC, Ting BP, Lin Z, Ong ME (2014). Risk stratification for prediction of adverse coronary events in emergency department chest pain patients with a machine learning score compared with the TIMI score [Letter to the editor]. Int J Cardiol, 177(3), 1095-7.
- Leung YY, Wong B, Haaland B, Kraus VB (2016). Association between radiographic severity and pain in knee osteoarthritis [Abstract]. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 24(S440).
- dos Santos VL, Lima JP, Haaland B, De Barros Pontes L, Gansl RC, Lopes G (2015). Curative-intent surgery for pancreatic tumors: A review of 3,386 procedures from the Brazilian Public Health System [Abstract]. J Clin Oncol, 33(15_suppl), e15237.
- Tan PS, Lopes G, Aacharyya S, Bilger M, Haaland B (2015). Overall survival (OS) by EGFR mutation status and subtypes (Deletion 19/L858R) for first-line therapies with maintenance regimens in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a Bayesian multiple treatment comparison (MTC) meta-analysis [Abstract]. Annals of Oncology, 26(suppl 9), ix135.
- Krisna SS, Jain A, Haaland B, Takano AM, Iyer G, Myint Thu MM, Wan-Teck Lim D, Huat Tan E, Kiat Hon Lim T, Shao Weng Tan D (2014). Multiplexed Mutation Profiling Of Asian Lung Adenocarcinoma And Squamous Cell Carcinoma Reveals Therapeutically Relevant Alterations [Abstract]. Journal of Thoracic Oncology, 9(9), S164.
- Teo QQ, Haaland B, Thng CH, Lim WT, Koh TS, Ng QS (2014). Use of textural analysis of tumour vascular heterogeneity as a biomarker of response to anti-angiogenic treatment in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma [Abstract]. Cancer Imaging, 14(1).
- Teo QQ, Haaland B, Thng CH, Lim WT, Koh TS, Ng Q (2014). Tumor Vascular Heterogeneity As A Biomarker Of Response To Anti-Angiogenic Treatment In Patients With Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma [Abstract]. Annals of Oncology, 25(suppl 4), iv352.
- Lopes G, Haaland B (2013). Comparative Effectiveness of Gefitinib, Erlotinib, Afatinib And Chemotherapy In The First Line Treatment Of Patients With Advanced Non Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) And Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) Mutations [Abstract]. Journal of Thoracic Oncology, 8, S895-6.
- Dawood SS, Haaland B, Albarracin CT, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Gupta S, Cortes J, Sim Yap Y, Dent R (2013). Is the proportion of patients with synchronous stage IV breast cancer surviving> 2 years increasing over time? [Abstract]. J Clin Oncol, 31(15_suppl), 524.
- Tan PS, Haaland B, Montero AJ, Lopes G (2013). Anastrozole in combination with fulvestrant in the first line treatment of hormone receptor positive advanced breast cancer: A meta-analysis [Abstract]. J Clin Oncol, 31(15_suppl), e11591.
- Chopra A, Haaland B, Lopes G (2013). Comparative effective analysis between enzalutamide and abiraterone in the treatment of metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer [Abstract]. J Clin Oncol, 31(6_suppl), 217.
- Leung Y, Wong SBS, Haaland B, Tan C, Thumboo J (2013). AB0605 Evaluation of three screening questionnaires for use in identifying symptomatic knee osteoarthritis in the general population [Abstract]. Annals of the Rheumatic Disease, 72(3), A975.
- Ang SH, Haaland B, Hwang SG, Tan PH, Tan EH, Lim WT, Ang MK (2013). Relationship of p16INK4A cellular localization and overall survival in head and neck cancer (HNC) [Abstract]. European Journal of Cancer, 49, S773.
- Tan E, Ng QS, Li WY, Haaland B, Ang MK, Thng CH, Chowbay B, Hui KM, Tan DSW, Lim WT (2013). Circulating endothelial cells and dynamic contrast enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (DCE-MRI) parameters as predictive biomarkers for survival benefit in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with sorafenib and metronomic oral vinorelbine [Abstract]. European Journal of Cancer, 49, S208.
- Lee GE, Dawood S, Haaland BA, Tan PS, Bhoo-Pathy N, Dent RA (2013). Abstract P6-06-16: Young age as a good prognostic factor in de novo metastatic breast cancer [Abstract]. Cancer Research, 73(24), P6-06.
- Ang SHoon, Haaland B, Myint Thu MM, Krishna SS, Chen W, Hwang SGJ, Tan PH, et al (2012). P16 and cyclin D1 (CYD1) as prognostic markers in hypopharyngeal (HSC) and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OSC) [Abstract]. J Clin Oncol, 30(15_suppl), 5580.
- Tan V, Thia KT, Lin Tay W, Haaland BA, San Choon Kong C, Chian Lim W, Gowans MA, et al (2012). Sa1255 Perianal Complications in an Asian Crohn's Disease Cohort [Abstract]. Gastroenterology, 142(5), S-255.
- Takano A, Haaland B, Krishna S, Chau NM, Ang MK, Ng QS, Lim WT, et al (2012). The new proposed IASLC/ATS/ERS classification of lung adenocarcinomas does not independently predict prognosis in a predominant ethnic Chinese population [Abstract]. Histopathology, 61, 210.
- Rutkowski A, Davis K, Blankenbaker D, Tuite M, Haaland B (2010). Which Is Superior? A Comparison of Anteromedial and Lateral Patellofemoral Approaches for Knee Injection [Abstract]. American Journal of Roentgenology, 194(5).
- Huddleston J, Davis K, Blankenbaker D, Lee K, Anderson P, Haaland B (2010). Are Radiographs of the Thoracic Spine Truly Inadequate in the Setting of Trauma? Accuracy of Thoracic Radiographs for Diagnosing Injuries of Varying Severity [Abstract]. American Journal of Roentgenology, 194(5).
- Haaland B (2008). Sequential Quasi-Monte Carlo Sampling. Poster session presented at Joint Statistical Meetings, American Statistical Association, Denver, CO.