Sleep Wellness Resources
Sleep | Wake Center
The Sleep | Wake Center specializes in diagnosing and treating sleep disorders. If you are experiencing problems with sleep apnea, frequent nocturnal awakenings, insomnia, shift work disorder, unusual movements or behaviors during sleep, excessive sleepiness in the daytime or restless legs, then a referral to a sleep specialist may be considered.
For more information, please contact:
Krishna M. Sundar MD, FCCP
Medical Director, Sleep-Wake Center
Online Sleep Modules and Written Materials
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offer the CBT-i Coach App which was designed for use by Veterans and others who are having difficulty sleeping and are using in conjunction with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-i) treatment guided by a healthcare professional. With CBT-i, patients are taught to recognize how their thoughts and sleep-related behaviors affect their sleep patterns. Patients are provided with education about how sleep works. They are also guided on how to adjust both their sleep routines and their approach to sleep in order to enhance sleep quality and duration.
- An interactive sleep diary for convenient daily logging of sleep habits
- Automatic calculation of the sleep prescription, with options for the therapist to adjust based on clinical judgment and patient progress
- An assessment of insomnia severity
- Comprehensive educational materials about sleep, healthy sleep habits, barriers to sleep, and CBT-i therapy
- Dynamic tools to improve sleep, including relaxation exercises
- Customizable reminders to alert the user when to prepare for bed, when to go to sleep, when to get out of bed, to record sleep habits, and to take sleep assessments
Self-directed CBT-iat course with possible step-by-step guidance from a virtual sleep expert psychologist at Sleepio.com. There is a cost for this service. See website for details.
Handout on Improving and Maintaining a Healthy Sleep-Wake Cycle The University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health patient handout is another excellent sleep medicine resource
Suggested Self-Help Workbook:
The Insomnia Workbook – A Comprehensive Guide to Getting the Sleep You Need. Stephanie Silberman.