The Department of Neurology at the University of Utah is committed to the conquest of neurological disease through specialized patient care, innovative research and the education of tomorrow's physicians. Our department provides comprehensive primary and tertiary neurologic care, as well as both inpatient and outpatient neurologic consultation.
Meet the Chair
Stefan Pulst, MD
- Jana Wold received "teacher of the year" honors from the PA students for 2014!
- Kathleen Digre finished her 6-month sabbatical as the First Hedi Fritz Niggli Guest Professor on July 31, 2014. During her absence, she gave lectures on: Post-operative visual Loss Grand rounds at University of Zurich and University of Bern. She also hosted a workshops on: Work Life Balance Panel Discussion, and Decision Making with Leo Hopf of Utah.
- Behrang Saminejad, the first Movement Disorders fellow in the history of the Department, began his 2-year training program July 1st.
- During the 3rd Annual Neurology Intensive Course, Steve O'Donnell (PGY1-Adult Neurology) joined Peter Hannon and David Renner at the College of Health in Kumasi Ghana to teach in this course. This neurology course targets primary care clinicians who triage and treat patients at the district level of rural Ghana. This year's course concluded with a village outreach screening program in a community on Cape Coast.
- Clardy SL (August 2014) Psychiatric Manifestations of Antibody-Mediated Disease. Grand Rounds, Department of Psychiatry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Michael Himle (Psychology) and David Shprecher successfully applied as co-directors for funding of a Center of Excellence through the Tourette Syndrome Association.
- Brandon Zielinski received K08 Funding from NIMH for his project, BRAIN NETWORK DEVELOPMENT IN NORMAL AND AUTISTIC CHILDREN. Guido Gerig is his local mentor. Way to go Brandon!
- Jennifer Majersik hosted the 15th International Stroke Genetics Consortium Workshop on April 3-4 at the University of Utah. Sixty attendees from 4 continents, 12 countries, and 13 US states participated.
- The Stroke Center was recently re-certified by DNV as a Comprehensive Stroke Center.
- Troy Andersen is receiving the College of Social Work Ph.D. Faculty Award for Promise in Social Work, based on his demonstrated interest in, and dedicated service to, the practice of social work; creativity and performance in field practicum; and for scholastic ability and achievement.
- David Renner was this year's recipient of the John R. Park Teaching Fellowship. This one-year fellowship is awarded to one U of U faculty member to study outside of the University, and provides partial funding for their educational endeavors. This fellowship is selected by the University Teaching Committee and is approved by the Board of Trustees.
- Gordon Chelune assumed the position of Executive Director of the International Neuropsychological Society (INS) in February, and through an administrative agreement with the University of Utah and Department of Neurology moved the administrative offices of the INS to 2319 S. Foothill Drive, Ste 260, Salt Lake City.
- Angela Eastvold spoke at the Annual University of Utah Physician Assistant Program Preceptor Appreciation CME Event on 3/15/14 on “Concussions – Pathophysiology, assessment and management.”
- Patrick Parker, 1st year Neuroscience student with Dr. Brennan's lab has been awarded a 2014 National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program fellowship. Congratulations Patrick on this achievement!
- Utah at AAN
- KC Brennan had his Department of Defense CDMRP grant funded, which will study the interactions of stress and brain trauma in the origins of post-traumatic headache. He wanted to send out special congratulations to Punam Sawant, Jorge Mendez, Dan Kaufmann, Jeremy Theriot, and Tyler Hanak for their critical work on the proposal.February 2014.
- Stacey Clardy received funding for the grant "Anti-Neuronal antibodies in Veterans with Autoimmune Epilepsy" from the Western Institute for Biomedical Research (WIBR)
- Pete Hannon was also selected as core faculty for the Clinical Methods Curriculum longitudinal medical student course for the upcoming year.
- Norman Foster did a community presentation for the Association for Professionals in Infection Control (APIC) about Creutzfeldt - Jakob disease on February 20th.
- Edward Zamrini served as a Peer-Reviewer during the 2014 Alzheimer's Association International Research Grant Program – New Investigators Program (August 2013 - January 2014).
- Marie Collier, Nick Johnson, David Shprecher and Awais Riaz, the Neurology Department at University of Utah, attended the annual “Neurology on the Hill”. The program brings in neurologists from each State to visit Capitol Hill to educate the Congress about issues facing Neurologists and patients with neurological disorders. Great strides were made this year as the bill to permanently revoke the SGR is finally being rolled out with bipartisan support and will hopefully make it to the floor for a vote.
- Foster NL, et al. (2014). Justifying reimbursement for Alzheimer’s diagnostics and treatments: Seeking alignment on evidence. Alzheimer’s & Dementia, 10, 503-508.
- Foster NL (in press). Clinical Use of Amyloid PET Neuroimaging: Practical and Bioethical Considerations. Alzheimer's & Dementia.
- Fryer JP, Lennon VA, PittockSJ, Jenkins S, Fallier-Becker P, Clardy S, Horta ES, Jedynak E, Lucchinetti CF, Shuster EA, Weinshenker BG, Wingerchuk DM, and McKeon A. (in press). AQP4 Autoantibody Assay Performance in Clinical Laboratory Service.
Journal: Neuroimmunology & Neuroinflammation.
- Johnson, NE, Heatwole CR, Dilek N, Sowden J, Kirk CA, Shereff D, Shy ME, Herrmann DN. Quality of life in Charcot Marie Tooth Disease: The patient’s perspective. Neuromuscular Disorders 2014, in press.
- Nguyen TT, Oh SS, Weaver D, Lewandowska A, Maxfield D, Schuler MH, Smith NK, Macfarlane J, Saunders G, Palmer CA, Debattisti V, Koshiba T, Pulst SM, Feldman EL, Hajnóczky G, Shaw JM: Loss of Miro1-directed retrograde mitochondrial movement results in a novel murine model for neuron disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (in press).
- Bogdan Florin Gh. Popescu, Yong Guo, Mark E Jentoft, Joseph E. Parisi, Vanda A. Lennon, Sean J. Pittock, Brian G. Weinshenker, Dean M. Wingerchuk, Caterina Giannini, Imke Metz, Wolfgang Brück, Elizabeth A Shuster, Jonathan L. Carter, Clara D Boyd, Stacey Lynn Clardy, Bruce A.
- Cohen, and Claudia Francesca Lucchinetti. (in press). Diagnostic Utility of Aquaporin-4 Immunohistochemical Analysis of Active Demyelinating Lesions Present on Surgical Biopsy. Neurology.
- Price E, Artz AS, Barnhart H, Sapp S, Chelune G, Ershler WB, Watson JD, et al. (2014). A Prospective randomized wait list control trial of intravenous iron sucrose in older adults with unexplained anemia and serum ferritin 20-200 ng/mL. Blood Cells, Molecules and Diseases, in press.
- Shprecher D, Rubestein L, Gannon K, Frank S, Kurlan R. Temporal Course of the Tourette Syndrome Clinical Triad. Tremor Other Hyperkinet Mov. In Press.
- William Oliver Tobin, Vanda A. Lennon, Lars Komorowski, Christian Probst, Stacey Lynn Clardy, Allen J. Aksamit, Juan Pablo Appendino, Claudia Francesca Lucchinetti, Joseph Y. Matsumoto, Sean J. Pittock, Paola Sandroni, Maja Tippmann-Peikert, Elaine C. Wirrell, and Andrew McKeon. (in press). DPPX Potassium Channel Antibody: Frequency, Clinical Accompaniments and Outcomes in 20 Patients. Neurology.
- Wall M, Corbett JJ, Friedman DI, Liu G, Digre K. Revised diagnostic criteria for the pseudotumor cerebri syndrome in adults and children. Neurology. 2014 Jul 8;83(2):198-200.
- Johnson NE, Sowden J, Dilek N, Eichinger K, Burns J, McDermott MP, Shy ME, Herrmann DN. Prospective study of muscle cramps in Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. Muscle and Nerve 2014, in press.
- Shprecher D, Schrock L, Himle M (In Press) Neurobehavioral aspects, pathophysiology and management of Tourette's syndrome Current Opinion in Neurology (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins).
- Schankin CJ, Maniyar FH, Digre KB, Goadsby PJ. (In press) 'Visual snow' - a disorder distinct from persistent migraine aura. Brain.
- Dasheiff R, Friedman DI, Liu GT, Digre KB. Ducks in a row. Neurology. 2014 Mar 18;82(11):1012.
- De Simone R, Ranieri A, Montella S, Friedman DI, Liu GT, Digre KB. Revised diagnostic criteria for the pseudotumor cerebri syndrome in adults and children. Neurology. 2014 Mar 18;82(11):1011-2.
- Adesina OO, Stagg BC, Digre KB, Katz BJ, Quigley EP, Palmer CA, Warner JE. (In press) Optic Neuropathy Caused by Propionibacterium acnes Pachymeningitis. J Neuroophthalmol.
- Singh N, Fletcher PT, Preston JS, King RD, Marron JS, Weiner MW, Joshi S. (In press) Quantifying anatomical shape variations in neurological disorders. Medical Image Analysis.
- Zielinski BA, Prigge MB, Nielsen JA, Froehlich Abildskov TJ, Anderson JS, Fletcher PT, Zygmunt KM, Travers BG, Lange N, Alexander AL, Bigler ED, & Lainhart JE (In press) Longitudinal changes in cortical thickness in autism and typical development. Brain.
- Matilla-Dueñas A, Ashizawa T, Brice A, Magri S, McFarland KN, Pandolfo M, Pulst SM, Riess O, Rubinsztein DC, Schmidt J, Schmidt T, Scoles DR, Stevanin G, Taroni F, Underwood BR, Sanchez I. Consensus Paper: Pathological mechanisms underlying neurodegeneration in spinocerebellar ataxias. Cerebellum 13(2):269-302, 2014.
- Shprecher D, Gannon K, Agarwal N, Shi X, Anderson J (In Press). Elucidating the mechanism of tic improvement in Tourette syndrome: a pilot study. Tremor Other Hyperkinet Mov.
- Wen J, Scoles DR, Facelli JC. Structure Prediction of Polyglutamine Disease Proteins: Comparison of Methods. BMC Bioinformatics (in press).
- Carl L. Faingold, Awais Riaz and James Stittsworth, (2014). Neuronal Network Plasticity and Network Interactions are Critically Dependent on Conditional Multireceptive (CMR) Brain Regions.
In "Neuronal Networks in Brain Function: CNS Disorders, and Therapeutics". Faingold, CL and Blumenfeld, H (Eds.) Elsevier.
- Foster NL, Mottola K, Hoffman JM. Coverage With Evidence Development: What to Consider. JAMA Neurol 2014.
- Philipps G, Alisanski SB, Pranzatelli M, Clardy SL, Lennon VA, McKeon A. Purkinje Cell Cytoplasmic Antibody Type 1 (Anti-Yo) Autoimmunity in a Child With Down Syndrome. JAMA Neurol. 2014 Jan 13.
- Candee MS, McCandless RT, Moore KR, Arrington CB, Minich LL, & Bale JF Jr. (2013). Whitematter lesions in children and adolescents with migraine. Pediatr Neurol. Dec;49(6):393-6.
- Clardy SL, Lennon VA, Dalmau J, Pittock SJ, Jones HR Jr, Renaud DL, Harper CM Jr, Matsumoto JY, McKeon A. (in press). Childhood Onset of Stiff-Man Syndrome. JAMA Neurol.
- Duff K, Foster NL, & Hoffman JM. (in press). Practice effects and amyloid deposition: Preliminary data on a method for enriching samples in clinical trials. Alzheimer Disease & Associated Disorders
- Mielke MM, Savica R, Wiste HJ, Weigand SD, Vemuri P, Knopman DS, Lowe VJ, Roberts RO, Machulda MM, Geda YE, Petersen RC, Jack CR Jr. (2014). Head trauma and in vivo measures of amyloid and neurodegeneration in a population-based study. Neurology. Jan 7;82(1):70-6.