The Department of Neurology at the University of Utah is committed to the conquest of neurological disease through specialized patient care, innovative research and the education of tomorrow's physicians. Our department provides comprehensive primary and tertiary neurologic care, as well as both inpatient and outpatient neurologic consultation.
- KC Brennan was fetured in a New York Times article on the need to study sex differences in biomedical research- this is especially imprtant in migraine because 2/3 of migraineurs are women (www.newyorktimes.com)
- Jana Wold received "teacher of the year" honors from the PA students for 2014!
- Kathleen Digre finished her 6-month sabbatical as the First Hedi Fritz Niggli Guest Professor on July 31, 2014. During her absence, she gave lectures on: Post-operative visual Loss Grand rounds at University of Zurich and University of Bern. She also hosted a workshops on: Work Life Balance Panel Discussion, and Decision Making with Leo Hopf of Utah.
- Behrang Saminejad, the first Movement Disorders fellow in the history of the Department, began his 2-year training program July 1st.
- During the 3rd Annual Neurology Intensive Course, Steve O'Donnell (PGY1-Adult Neurology) joined Peter Hannon and David Renner at the College of Health in Kumasi Ghana to teach in this course. This neurology course targets primary care clinicians who triage and treat patients at the district level of rural Ghana. This year's course concluded with a village outreach screening program in a community on Cape Coast.
- Clardy SL (August 2014) Psychiatric Manifestations of Antibody-Mediated Disease. Grand Rounds, Department of Psychiatry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Michael Himle (Psychology) and David Shprecher successfully applied as co-directors for funding of a Center of Excellence through the Tourette Syndrome Association.
- KC Brennans lab received notice of supplemental funding to study sex differences in migraine from the NIH Office of Research on Woman's Health. (http://orwh.od.nih.gov/research/fundededresearch)
- Foster NL, et al. (2014). Justifying reimbursement for Alzheimer’s diagnostics and treatments: Seeking alignment on evidence. Alzheimer’s & Dementia, 10, 503-508.
- Foster NL (in press). Clinical Use of Amyloid PET Neuroimaging: Practical and Bioethical Considerations. Alzheimer's & Dementia.
- Fryer JP, Lennon VA, PittockSJ, Jenkins S, Fallier-Becker P, Clardy S, Horta ES, Jedynak E, Lucchinetti CF, Shuster EA, Weinshenker BG, Wingerchuk DM, and McKeon A. (in press). AQP4 Autoantibody Assay Performance in Clinical Laboratory Service.
Journal: Neuroimmunology & Neuroinflammation.
- Johnson, NE, Heatwole CR, Dilek N, Sowden J, Kirk CA, Shereff D, Shy ME, Herrmann DN. Quality of life in Charcot Marie Tooth Disease: The patient’s perspective. Neuromuscular Disorders 2014, in press.
- Nguyen TT, Oh SS, Weaver D, Lewandowska A, Maxfield D, Schuler MH, Smith NK, Macfarlane J, Saunders G, Palmer CA, Debattisti V, Koshiba T, Pulst SM, Feldman EL, Hajnóczky G, Shaw JM: Loss of Miro1-directed retrograde mitochondrial movement results in a novel murine model for neuron disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (in press).
- Bogdan Florin Gh. Popescu, Yong Guo, Mark E Jentoft, Joseph E. Parisi, Vanda A. Lennon, Sean J. Pittock, Brian G. Weinshenker, Dean M. Wingerchuk, Caterina Giannini, Imke Metz, Wolfgang Brück, Elizabeth A Shuster, Jonathan L. Carter, Clara D Boyd, Stacey Lynn Clardy, Bruce A.
- Cohen, and Claudia Francesca Lucchinetti. (in press). Diagnostic Utility of Aquaporin-4 Immunohistochemical Analysis of Active Demyelinating Lesions Present on Surgical Biopsy. Neurology.
- Price E, Artz AS, Barnhart H, Sapp S, Chelune G, Ershler WB, Watson JD, et al. (2014). A Prospective randomized wait list control trial of intravenous iron sucrose in older adults with unexplained anemia and serum ferritin 20-200 ng/mL. Blood Cells, Molecules and Diseases, in press.
- Shprecher D, Rubestein L, Gannon K, Frank S, Kurlan R. Temporal Course of the Tourette Syndrome Clinical Triad. Tremor Other Hyperkinet Mov. In Press.
- William Oliver Tobin, Vanda A. Lennon, Lars Komorowski, Christian Probst, Stacey Lynn Clardy, Allen J. Aksamit, Juan Pablo Appendino, Claudia Francesca Lucchinetti, Joseph Y. Matsumoto, Sean J. Pittock, Paola Sandroni, Maja Tippmann-Peikert, Elaine C. Wirrell, and Andrew McKeon. (in press). DPPX Potassium Channel Antibody: Frequency, Clinical Accompaniments and Outcomes in 20 Patients. Neurology.