Training Activities at UPAP aims to understand and address health disparities through a structured learning experiences that build cultural humility. The focus is on critical life-long learning, recognizing and bridging power differences, and fostering mutually beneficial and respectful relationships with community members and organizations. The following programs are specific faculty-mentored community engagement opportunities for our students:
Migrant Worker Program
- We collaborate with Community Health Centers, Inc., the Utah Department of Health, and Community Health Connect to provide key health services to farmworkers during harvest season
Salt Lake Community Action Program (Salt Lake CAP)
- Every summer and fall students and faculty participate in the Salt Lake Community Action Program (SL CAP) Head Start physicals to provide a free comprehensive program of services. This includes immunizations, physical exams, vision and hearing screenings, and oral health services.
Student-Run Free Clinics
- Doctor's Volunteer Clinic of St. George
- Maliheh Free Clinic of Salt Lake City
Head Start Partnerships
- Centro de la Familia Migrant Head Start in rural Northern Utah
- Root for Kids in St. George
- Utah Community Action Program in Salt Lake City
- Ute Indian Tribe on the Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation
- Community Health Education Workshops
- Southern Utah Pacific Islander Health Coalition
- Urban Indian Center of Salt Lake City
Patient Voice - The Charles James Nabors, Ph.D. Conference Series
- The Patient Voices series was founded by the Physician Assistant Students Supporting Equity and Diversity (PASSED) student organization and was later adopted by the Office of Health Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion.
- PA students are trained to organize and facilitate panel discussions featuring diverse and underrepresented patient perspectives and stories that promote culturally sensitive, patient-centered health care.
- Creek Valley Health Fair in Hildale, Utah
- Junior League's CARE-Fair of Salt Lake City
- Project Homeless Connect in Salt Lake City