Dr. Cizik is a health economics and outcomes researcher (HEOR) with a primary research focus using Patient-Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs) at the point of care to support surgeons and patients in preference-based (patient-centered) shared decision-making for surgical treatment decisions. Her research hopes to improve the value of healthcare by improving the surgeon/patient decision-making experience. Her clinical area has mostly focused in orthopaedic surgery, specifically spine and trauma subspecialties, but also includes all musculoskeletal care, involving complex decision-making of operative versus non-operative care versus the decision to wait and reevaluate treatment options at a future timepoint. She has collaborated with colleagues in multiple other surgical disciplines as well. Dr. Cizik has a diverse training background that includes patient-reported outcome measurement, economic modelling, health services, biostatistics, epidemiology, and public health and health policy. She has extensive experience and expertise selecting PROMs; implementing PROMS, including PROMIS measures in both academic and community care settings; enrolling patients for prospective and randomized clinical trials, and successfully collecting PROMs at longitudinal follow-up timepoints. She teaches courses related to PROMs and preference-based patient measurement and mentors medical students, residents, and graduate students in disciplines such as population health and bioengineering.
University of Washington
University of Washington School of Pharmacy
University of Washington School of Pharmacy
University of Kansas School of Medicine
University of Missouri–Kansas City
University of Missouri–Kansas City
- Thorne T, Kellam P, Nelson C, Li H, Zhang Y, Cizik A, Marchand L, Haller JM (2023). Minimal Clinically Important Differences of Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System Physical Function in Patients With Tibial Shaft Fracture. J Orthop Trauma, 37(8), 401-406.
- Thorne T, Cizik A, Dong W, Da Silva Z, Wei Y, Zhang Y, Haller JM (2023). The trajectory of patient-reported outcomes and minimal clinically important differences in isolated and polytraumatic pelvis and acetabular fractures. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol.
- Snyder AM, Chen SC, Chren MM, Ferris LK, Edwards LD, Swerlick RA, Flint ND, Cizik AM, Hess R, Kean J, Secrest AM, Dermatology PRO Consortium (2023). Patient-Reported Outcome Measures and Their Clinical Applications in Dermatology. Am J Clin Dermatol, 24(4), 499-511.
- North K, Simpson GM, Stuart AR, Kubiak EN, Petelenz TJ, Hitchcock RW, Rothberg DL, Cizik AM (2023). Early postoperative step count and walking time have greater impact on lower limb fracture outcomes than load-bearing metrics. Injury, 54(7), 110756.
- Myhre L, Olsen Z, Li H, Zhang Y, Cizik AM, Haller J (2022). Determining the clinical significance of the PROMIS physical function score in the setting of femur fractures. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol.
- Jawad MU, Pollock BH, Wise BL, Zeitlinger LN, O Donnell EF, Carr-Ascher JR, Cizik A, Ferrell B, Thorpe SW, Randall RL (2022). Socioeconomic and insurance-related disparities in disease-specific survival among patients with metastatic bone disease. J Surg Oncol, 127, 159-173.
- Hubbard J, Rogers MJ, Cizik AM, Zhang C, Presson AP, Kazmers NH (2022). Establishing the Patient Acceptable Symptom State in a Nonshoulder Hand and Upper Extremity Population for the Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder, and Hand and Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System Upper Extremity Computer Adaptive Tests. J Hand Surg Am.
- Wheelwright JC, Christensen GV, Cizik AM, Zhang C, Marchand LS, Haller JM (2022). Significant Factors of High Performance Outcomes for Tibial Plafond Fractures. Foot Ankle Int, 43, 10711007221112924.
- Rundell SD, Saito A, Meier EN, Danyluk ST, Jarvik JG, Seebeck K, Friedly JL, Heagerty PJ, Johnston SK, Smersh M, Horn ME, Suri P, Cizik AM, Goode AP (2022). The Lumbar Stenosis Prognostic Subgroups for Personalizing Care and Treatment (PROSPECTS) study: protocol for an inception cohort study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord, 23(1), 692.
- Myhre L, Kellam P, Dekeyser G, Li H, Zhang Y, Cizik AM, Haller J (2022). Minimal Clinically Important Differences of PROMIS PF in Ankle Fracture Patients. Foot Ankle Int, 43(7), 968-972.
- Hanmer J, Cizik AM, Gulek BG, McCracken P, Swart ECS, Turner R, Kinsky SM (2022). A scoping review of US insurers' use of patient-reported outcomes. Am J Manag Care, 28(6), e232-e238.
- Taliercio VL, Snyder AM, Biggs AM, Kean J, Hess R, Duffin KC, Cizik AM, Secrest AM (2021). Clinicians' perspectives on the integration of electronic patient-reported outcomes into dermatology clinics: a qualitative study. Qual Life Res, 31(6), 1719-1725.
- Brodke DJ, Zhang C, Shaw JD, Cizik AM, Saltzman CL, Brodke DS (2021). How Do PROMIS Scores Correspond to Common Physical Abilities? Clin Orthop Relat Res, 480(5), 996-1007.
- Kaur MN, Skolasky RL, Powell PA, Xie F, Huang IC, Kuspinar A, ODwyer JL, Cizik AM, Rowen D (2021). Transforming challenges into opportunities: conducting health preference research during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond. Qual Life Res, 31(4), 1191-1198.
- Jawad MU, Pollock BH, Wise BL, Zeitlinger LN, O Donnell EF, Carr-Ascher JR, Cizik A, Ferrell B, Thorpe SW, Randall RL (2021). Sex, racial/ethnic and socioeconomic disparities in patients with metastatic bone disease. J Surg Oncol, 125(4), 766-774.
- Khor S, Lavallee DC, Cizik AM, Bellabarba C, Dagal A, Hart RA, Howe CR, Martz RD, Shonnard N, Flum DR (2019). Hospital and Surgeon Variation in Patient-reported Functional Outcomes After Lumbar Spine Fusion: A Statewide Evaluation. Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 45(7), 465-472.
- Gurich RW Jr, Cizik AM, Punt SE, Namekata M, Johnson CN, Symons RG, Brewer EG, Thompson MJ (2021). Decision-making in Orthopaedic Oncology: Does Cognitive Bias Affect a Virtual Patient's Choice Between Limb Salvage and Amputation? Clin Orthop Relat Res, 478(3), 506-514.
- Cheng CW, Cizik AM, Dagal AHC, Lewis L, Lynch J, Bellabarba C, Bransford RJ, Zhou H (2018). Body mass index and the risk of deep surgical site infection following posterior cervical instrumented fusion. Spine J, 19(4), 602-609.
- Khor S, Lavallee D, Cizik AM, Bellabarba C, Chapman JR, Howe CR, Lu D, Mohit AA, Oskouian RJ, Roh JR, Shonnard N, Dagal A, Flum DR (2018). Development and Validation of a Prediction Model for Pain and Functional Outcomes After Lumbar Spine Surgery. JAMA Surg, 153(7), 634-642.
- Somerson JS, Petersen JP, Neradilek MB, Cizik AM, Gee AO (2018). Complications and Outcomes After Medial Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction: A Meta-Regression and Systematic Review. JBJS Rev, 6(5), e4.
- Ehlers AP, Khor S, Cizik AM, Leveque JA, Shonnard NS, Oskouian RJ Jr, Flum DR, Lavallee DC (2017). Use of patient-reported outcomes and satisfaction for quality assessments. Am J Manag Care, 23(10), 618-622.
- Ehlers AP, Khor S, Shonnard N, Oskouian RJ Jr, Sethi RK, Cizik AM, Lee MJ, Bederman S, Anderson PA, Dellinger EP, Flum DR (2016). Intra-Wound Antibiotics and Infection in Spine Fusion Surgery: A Report from Washington State's SCOAP-CERTAIN Collaborative. Surg Infect (Larchmt), 17(2), 179-86.
- Gundle KR, Cizik AM, Jones RL, Davidson DJ (2014). Quality of life measures in soft tissue sarcoma. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther, 15(1), 95-100.
- Manoso MW, Cizik AM, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Chapman J, Lee MJ (2014). Medicaid status is associated with higher surgical site infection rates after spine surgery. Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 39(20), 1707-13.
- Lee MJ, Cizik AM, Hamilton D, Chapman JR (2014). Predicting surgical site infection after spine surgery: a validated model using a prospective surgical registry. Spine J, 14(9), 2112-7.
- Lee MJ, Cizik AM, Hamilton D, Chapman JR (2013). Predicting medical complications after spine surgery: a validated model using a prospective surgical registry. Spine J, 14(2), 291-9.
- Gundle KR, Cizik AM, Punt SE, Conrad EU 3rd, Davidson DJ (2014). Validation of the SF-6D Health State Utilities Measure in Lower Extremity Sarcoma. Sarcoma, 2014, 450902.
- Hacquebord J, Cizik AM, Malempati SH, Konodi MA, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Chapman J, Lee MJ (2013). Medicaid status is associated with higher complication rates after spine surgery. Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 38(16), 1393-400.
- Dailey EA, Cizik A, Kasten J, Chapman JR, Lee MJ (2013). Risk factors for readmission of orthopaedic surgical patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 95(11), 1012-9.
- Lee MJ, Konodi MA, Cizik AM, Weinreich MA, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Chapman J (2012). Risk factors for medical complication after cervical spine surgery: a multivariate analysis of 582 patients. Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 38(3), 223-8.
- Amman S, Cizik A, Leopold SS, Manner PA (2012). Two-incision minimally invasive vs standard total hip arthroplasty: comparison of component position and hospital costs. J Arthroplasty, 27(8), 1569-1574.e1.
- Lohse GR, Leopold SS, Theiler S, Sayre C, Cizik A, Lee MJ (2012). Systems-based safety intervention: reducing falls with injury and total falls on an orthopaedic ward. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 94(13), 1217-22.
- Engelman KK, Cizik AM, Ellerbeck EF, Rempusheski VF (2012). Perceptions of the screening mammography experience by Hispanic and non-Hispanic White women. Womens Health Issues, 22(4), e395-401.
- Lee MJ, Konodi MA, Cizik AM, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Chapman JR (2012). Risk factors for medical complication after spine surgery: a multivariate analysis of 1,591 patients. Spine J, 12(3), 197-206.
- Cizik AM, Lee MJ, Martin BI, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Chapman JR, Mirza SK (2012). Using the spine surgical invasiveness index to identify risk of surgical site infection: a multivariate analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 94(4), 335-42.
- Wahl CJ, Westermann RW, Blaisdell GY, Cizik AM (2012). An association of lateral knee sagittal anatomic factors with non-contact ACL injury: sex or geometry? J Bone Joint Surg Am, 94(3), 217-26.
- Baker GA, Cizik AM, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Konodi MA, Chapman JR, Lee MJ (2012). Risk factors for unintended durotomy during spine surgery: a multivariate analysis. Spine J, 12(2), 121-6.
- Lee MJ, Hacquebord J, Varshney A, Cizik AM, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Konodi MA, Chapman J (2011). Risk factors for medical complication after lumbar spine surgery: a multivariate analysis of 767 patients. Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 36(21), 1801-6.
- Guyot JP, Cizik A, Bransford R, Bellabarba C, Lee MJ (2013). Risk factors for cardiac complications after spine surgery. Evid Based Spine Care J, 1(2), 18-25.
- Imposti F, Cizik A, Bransford R, Bellabarba C, Lee MJ (2013). Risk factors for pulmonary complications after spine surgery. Evid Based Spine Care J, 1(2), 26-33.
- Zimel MN, Cizik AM, Rapp TB, Weisstein JS, Conrad EU 3rd (2009). Megaprosthesis versus Condyle-sparing intercalary allograft: distal femoral sarcoma. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 467(11), 2813-24.
- Morgan HD, Cizik AM, Leopold SS, Hawkins DS, Conrad EU 3rd (2006). Survival of tumor megaprostheses replacements about the knee. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 450, 39-45.
- Engelman KK, Cizik AM, Ellerbeck EF (2006). Women's satisfaction with their mammography experience: results of a qualitative study. Women Health, 42(4), 17-35.