Brian N. Kelly, PhD, DABCC, FAACC, After earning undergraduate degrees in Biochemistry and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology from the University of Colorado I pursued a PhD in Biochemistry from the University of Utah. Subsequently, I completed a 3-year post-doctoral fellowship in Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Virginia. As a clinical toxicology specialist with ARUP, I review test results to investigate whether a patient is compliant with prescribed medications and not using illicit or non-prescribed medications. At ARUP, I also have the pleasure of teaching residents and fellows in Pathology. In my independent consulting business, I assist small to mid-size clinical laboratories in the implementation of liquid-chromatography mass-spectrometry based analysis of biological specimens, among other methods, as well as providing ongoing regulatory oversight.
Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory
University of Virginia
||Clinical Research Fellow|
University of Utah
University of Colorado
University of Colorado
- McMillin GA, Johnson-Davis KL, Kelly BN, Scott B, Yang YK (2020). Impact of the Opioid Epidemic on Drug Testing. Ther Drug Monit, 43(1), 14-24.
- Snozek CLH, Baskin LB, Boyd JM, Kelly BN, Krasowski MD, Sadrzadeh SMH, Tacker DH (2020). How Can Routine Clinical Laboratories Keep Up with the Opioid Crisis? Clin Chem, 67(2), 338-344.
- Yang YK, Johnson-Davis KL, Kelly BN, McMillin GA (2020). Demand for Interpretation of a Urine Drug Testing Panel Reflects the Changing Landscape of Clinical Needs; Opportunities for the Laboratory to Provide Added Clinical Value. J Appl Lab Med, 5(5), 858-868.
- Kelly BN, Haverstick DM, Lee JK, Thorner MO, Vance ML, Xin W, Bruns DE (2014). Circulating microRNA as a biomarker of human growth hormone administration to patients. Drug Test Anal, 6(3), 234-8.
- Kelly BN, Madsen M, Sharpe K, Nair V, Eichner D (2013). A population study of urine glycerol concentrations in elite athletes competing in North America. Drug Test Anal, 5(11-12), 890-5.
- Kelly BN, Haverstick DM, Vance ML, Thorner MO, Bruns DE (2012). Quantification of growth hormone mRNA in blood. Clin Chim Acta, 414, 206-10.
- Brian N Kelly, PhD (Fall 2017). Sports Drug Testing Update.
- Kelly, BN, Silverman, LM, Bruns, DE (2013). Unexpected Serum Protein Electrophoresis Results: Finding the lost monoclonal protein.
- Kelly BN, Haverstick DM, Bruns DE (2012). Interference in a glucose dehydrogenase-based glucose meter revisited. [Letter to the editor]. Clin Chim Acta, 413(7-8), 829-30.
- Kelly BN, Haverstick DM, Bruns DE (2010). Interference in a glucose dehydrogenase-based glucose meter. [Letter to the editor]. Clin Chem, 56(6), 1038-40.
- Brian N Kelly (2009). One Cyclist’s Experience [Web]. Anti-Doping Research Web Site.
- Bruns DE, Haverstick DM, Kelly B (2019). Compositions and Methods for Detecting Aberrant Regulation, Expression, and Levels of hGH. U.S. Patent No. US 14/035,422. Washington, D.C.:U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.