|Post Graduate Training||
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Chalkidis G, McPherson J, Beck A, Newman M, Yui S, Staes C (2022). Development of a Machine Learning Model Using Limited Features to Predict 6-Month Mortality at Treatment Decision Points for Patients With Advanced Solid Tumors. JCO Clin Cancer Inform, 6, e2100163.
- Taber P, Staes CJ, Phengphoo S, Rocha E, Lam A, Del Fiol G, Maviglia SM, Rocha RA (2021). Developing a sampling method and preliminary taxonomy for classifying COVID-19 public health guidance for healthcare organizations and the general public. J Biomed Inform, 120, 103852.
- Douthit BJ, Staes CJ, Del Fiol G, Richesson RL (2021). A thematic analysis to examine the feasibility of EHR-based clinical decision support for implementing Choosing Wisely ® guidelines. JAMIA Open, 4(2), ooab031.
- Douthit BJ, Del Fiol G, Staes CJ, Docherty SL, Richesson RL (2021). A Conceptual Framework of Data Readiness: The Contextual Intersection of Quality, Availability, Interoperability, and Provenance. Appl Clin Inform, 12(3), 675-685.
- Tiase VL, Wawrzynski SE, Sward KA, Del Fiol G, Staes C, Weir C, Cummins MR (2021). Provider Preferences for Patient-Generated Health Data Displays in Pediatric Asthma: A Participatory Design Approach. Appl Clin Inform, 12(3), 664-674.
- Tiase VL, Sward KA, Del Fiol G, Staes C, Weir C, Cummins MR (2021). Patient-Generated Health Data in Pediatric Asthma: Exploratory Study of Providers' Information Needs. JMIR Pediatr Parent, 4(1), e25413.
- Tiase VL, Hull W, McFarland MM, Sward KA, Del Fiol G, Staes C, Weir C, Cummins MR (2020). Patient-generated health data and electronic health record integration: a scoping review. JAMIA Open, 3(4), 619-627.
- Staes CJ, Jellison J, Kurilo MB, Keller R, Kharrazi H (2020). Response to authors of "Barriers to hospital electronic public health reporting and implications for the COVID-19 pandemic". J Am Med Inform Assoc, 27(11), 1821-1822.
- Richesson RL (04/01/2020). Measuring Implementation Feasibility of Clinical Decision Support Alerts for Clinical Practice Recommendations . 27(4), 514-521.
- Kukhareva P, Weir CR, Staes C, Borbolla D, Slager S, Kawamoto K (2018). Integration of Clinical Decision Support and Electronic Clinical Quality Measurement: Domain Expert Insights and Implications for Future Direction. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2018, 700-709.
- Weir CR, Staes C, Slager S, Taft T, Chidambaram V, Kramer H, Bray BE, Moore SP (2018). What are they trying to do?: An analysis of Action Identities in using electronic documentation in an EHR. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2017, 1764-1772.
- Taft T, Staes C, Slager S, Weir C (2017). Adapting Nielsen's Design Heuristics to Dual Processing for Clinical Decision Support. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2016, 1179-1188.
- Unni P, Staes C, Weeks H, Kramer H, Borbolla D, Slager S, Taft T, Chidambaram V, Weir C (2017). Why aren't they happy? An analysis of end-user satisfaction with Electronic health records. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2016, 2026-2035.
- Wan YJ, Staes CJ (2016). Melinda - A custom search engine that provides access to locally-developed content using the HL7 Infobutton standard. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2016, 2043-2052.
- Kukhareva P, Staes C, Noonan KW, Mueller HL, Warner P, Shields DE, Weeks H, Kawamoto K (2016). Single-reviewer electronic phenotyping validation in operational settings: Comparison of strategies and recommendations. J Biomed Inform, 66, 1-10.
- Jacobs J, Evans S, Narus S, Staes C (2015). Longitudinal Analysis of Computerized Alerts for Laboratory Monitoring of Post-liver Transplant Immunosuppressive Care (nominated for Best Student Paper Award). 2015(2015), 1918-1926.
- Tippetts TJ, Warner PB, Kukhareva PV, Shields DE, Staes CJ, Kawamoto K (2015). Challenges and Solutions in Optimizing Execution Performance of a Clinical Decision Support-Based Quality Measurement (CDS-QM) Framework. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2015, 1194-203.
- Lin Y, Staes CJ, Shields DE, Kandula V, Welch BM, Kawamoto K (2015). Design, Development, and Initial Evaluation of a Terminology for Clinical Decision Support and Electronic Clinical Quality Measurement. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2015, 843-51.
- Duncan J, Eilbeck K, Narus SP, Clyde S, Thornton S, Staes C (2015). Building an Ontology for Identity Resolution in Healthcare and Public Health. Online J Public Health Inform, 7(2), e219.
- Duncan J, Narus SP, Clyde S, Eilbeck K, Thornton S, Staes C (2015). Birth of identity: understanding changes to birth certificates and their value for identity resolution. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 22(e1), e120-9.
- Kawamoto K, Martin CJ, Williams K, Tu MC, Park CG, Hunter C, Staes CJ, Bray BE, Deshmukh VG, Holbrook RA, Morris SJ, Fedderson MB, Sletta A, Turnbull J, Mulvihill SJ, Crabtree GL, Entwistle DE, McKenna QL, Strong MB, Pendleton RC, Lee VS (2015). Value Driven Outcomes (VDO): a pragmatic, modular, and extensible software framework for understanding and improving health care costs and outcomes. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 22(1), 223-35.
- Jacobs J, Weir C, Evans RS, Staes C (2014). Assessment of readiness for clinical decision support to aid laboratory monitoring of immunosuppressive care at U.S. liver transplant centers. Appl Clin Inform, 5(4), 988-1004.
- Kukhareva PV, Kawamoto K, Shields DE, Barfuss DT, Halley AM, Tippetts TJ, Warner PB, Bray BE, Staes CJ (2014). Clinical Decision Support-based Quality Measurement (CDS-QM) Framework: Prototype Implementation, Evaluation, and Future Directions. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2014, 825-34.
- Eilbeck KL, Lipstein J, McGarvey S, Staes CJ (2014). Evaluation of need for ontologies to manage domain content for the Reportable Conditions Knowledge Management System. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2014, 496-505.
- Kukhareva PV, Kawamoto K, Shields DE, Barfuss DT, Halley AM, Tippetts TJ, Warner PB, Bray BE, Staes CJ (2014). Clinical Decision Support-based Quality Measurement (CDS-QM) Framework: Prototype Implementation, Evaluation, and Future Directions (Nominated for Best Paper Award). 2014(2014), 825-834.
- Staes C, Jacobs J, Mayer J, Allen J (2013). Description of outbreaks of health-care-associated infections related to compounding pharmacies, 2000-12. Am J Health Syst Pharm, 70(15), 1301-12.
- Gren LH, Porucznik CA, Joy EA, Lyon JL, Staes CJ, Alder SC (2013). Point-of-Care Testing as an Influenza Surveillance Tool: Methodology and Lessons Learned from Implementation. Influenza Res Treat, 2013, 242970.
- Davis K, Staes C, Duncan J, Igo S, Facelli JC (2012). Identification of pneumonia and influenza deaths using the Death Certificate Pipeline. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak, 12, 37.
- Tinoco A, Evans RS, Staes CJ, Lloyd JF, Rothschild JM, Haug PJ (2011). Comparison of computerized surveillance and manual chart review for adverse events. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 18(4), 491-7.
- Garrett NY, Mishra N, Nichols B, Staes CJ, Akin C, Safran C (2011). Characterization of public health alerts and their suitability for alerting in electronic health record systems. J Public Health Manag Pract, 17(1), 77-83.
- Staes CJ, Wuthrich A, Gesteland P, Allison MA, Leecaster M, Shakib JH, Carter ME, Mallin BM, Mottice S, Rolfs R, Pavia AT, Wallace B, Gundlapalli AV, Samore M, Byington CL (2011). Public health communication with frontline clinicians during the first wave of the 2009 influenza pandemic. J Public Health Manag Pract, 17(1), 36-44.
- Staes CJ, Altamore R, Han E, Mottice S, Rajeev D, Bradshaw R (2011). Evaluation of knowledge resources for public health reporting logic: Implications for knowledge authoring and management. Online J Public Health Inform, 3(3).
- Rajeev D, Staes C, Evans RS, Price A, Hill M, Mottice S, Risk I, Rolfs R (2011). Evaluation of HL7 v2.5.1 electronic case reports transmitted from a healthcare enterprise to public health. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2011, 1144-52.
- Xu W, Pettey W, Livnat Y, Gesteland P, Rajeev D, Reid J, Samore M, Evans RS, Rolfs RT, Staes C (2011). Strengthening Partnerships along the Informatics Innovation Stages and Spaces: Research and Practice Collaboration in Utah. Online J Public Health Inform, 3(3).
- Walton NA, Poynton MR, Gesteland PH, Maloney C, Staes C, Facelli JC (2010). Predicting the start week of respiratory syncytial virus outbreaks using real time weather variables. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak, 10, 68.
- Rajeev D, Staes CJ, Evans RS, Mottice S, Rolfs R, Samore MH, Whitney J, Kurzban R, Huff SM PhD student directed by Staes (2010). Development of an Electronic Public Health Case Report using HL7 v2.5 to Meet Public Health Needs. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 17(1), 34-41.
- Jiang Y, Staes CJ, Adams TD, Hunt SC (2009). Evaluation of risk scores derived from the health family tree program. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2009, 286-90.
- Shakib JH, Wyman L, Gesteland PH, Staes CJ, Bennion DW, Byington CL (2009). Should the pertussis case definition for public health reporting be refined? J Public Health Manag Pract, 15(6), 479-84.
- Staes CJ, Gesteland PH, Allison M, Mottice S, Rubin M, Shakib JH, Boulton R, Wuthrich A, Carter ME, Leecaster M, Samore MH, Byington CL (2009). Urgent care providers' knowledge and attitude about public health reporting and pertussis control measures: implications for informatics. J Public Health Manag Pract, 15(6), 471-8.
- Staes CJ, Xu W, LeFevre SD, Price RC, Narus SP, Gundlapalli A, Rolfs R, Nangle B, Samore M, Facelli JC (2009). A case for using grid architecture for state public health informatics: the Utah perspective. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak, 9, 32.
- Botkin JR, Anderson R, Staes C, Longo N (2009). Developing a National Registry for conditions identifiable through newborn screening. Genet Med, 11(3), 176-82.
- Gesteland PH, Allison MA, Staes CJ, Samore MH, Rubin MA, Carter ME, Wuthrich A, Kinney AY, Mottice S, Byington CL (2008). Clinician use and acceptance of population-based data about respiratory pathogens: implications for enhancing population-based clinical practice. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 232-6.
- Staes CJ, Evans RS, Rocha BH, Sorensen JB, Huff SM, Arata J, Narus SP (2008). Computerized alerts improve outpatient laboratory monitoring of transplant patients. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 15(3), 324-32.
- Holbrook R, Staes C, Longo N, Botkin J, Anderson R, Mitchell J (2007). Development of requirements and a pilot registry for long-term follow-up of children with heritable conditions. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 977.
- Staes CJ, Evans RS, Narus SP, Huff SM, Sorensen JB (2007). System analysis and improvement in the process of transplant patient care. Stud Health Technol Inform, 129(Pt 2), 915-9.
- Staes CJ, Bennett ST, Evans RS, Narus SP, Huff SM, Sorensen JB (2006). A case for manual entry of structured, coded laboratory data from multiple sources into an ambulatory electronic health record. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 13(1), 12-5.
- Staes CJ, Huff SM, Evans RS, Narus SP, Tilley C, Sorensen JB (2005). Development of an information model for storing organ donor data within an electronic medical record. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 12(3), 357-63.
- Staes CJ, Huff SM, Tilley C, Narus SP, Sorensen JB, Evans RS (2004). Development of an information model for solid organ transplantation. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 1015.
- Staes CJ, Schlenker TL, Risk I, Cannon KG, Harris H, Pavia AT, Shapiro CN, Bell BP (2000). Sources of infection among persons with acute hepatitis A and no identified risk factors during a sustained community-wide outbreak. Pediatrics, 106(4), E54.
- Staes C, Matte T, Copley CG, Flanders D, Binder S (1994). Retrospective study of the impact of lead-based paint hazard remediation on children's blood lead levels in St. Louis, Missouri. Am J Epidemiol, 139(10), 1016-26.
- Taber P, Rocha E, Del Fiol G, Staes CJ, Lam A, Phengphoo S, Maviglia SM, Rocha RA (2020). An automated process to catalog and track COVID-19 public health guidance. POSTER ABSTRACTS from Third Annual Public Meeting: Mobilizing Computable Biomedical Knowledge (MCBK 2020). https://doi.org/10.1002/lrh2.10256, Learning Health Systems, 5(1).
- Phengphoo S, Taber P, Lam A, Rocha E, Del Fiol G, Maviglia SM, Rocha RA, Staes CJ (2020). Linking COVID-19 guidance for healthcare provider’s to Ely’s taxonomy of generic clinical questions. POSTER ABSTRACTS from Third Annual Public Meeting: Mobilizing Computable Biomedical Knowledge (MCBK 2020). https://doi.org/10.1002/lrh2.10256, Learning Health Systems, 5(1).
- Saldi Yusuf (11/10/2020). Standardizing Nursing Orders to Better Assess Acuity and Improve Nursing Workflow . AMIA2020 Annual Meeting, AMIA2020 Annual Meeting.
- Kirish E, Kramer H, Staes C (May 19, 2020). Clinical Workflow Considerations When Integrating a Controlled Substance Database (CSD) within an Electronic Health Record (EHR). In American Medical Informatics Association (Ed.), AMIA 2020 clinical Informatics Conference, AMIA.
- Douthit B, Staes CJ, Del Fiol G, Richesson RL (2020). Examining the Feasibility of EHR-based Clinical Decision Support for Implementing Choosing Wisely® Guidelines: A Thematic Analysis. AMIA Informatics Summit, AMIA.
- Jacobs J (11/10/2015).
- Abellara J, Kesarinath G, Staes CJ, Altamore R, Giannone G, Dolin R (2009). Development of a Public Health Case Report Implementation Guide: Enabling the Exchange of Electronic Health Record data using HL7 Clinical Document Architecture format. AMIA Fall 2009 Symposium, Bethesda: American Medical Informatics Association, 753.
- Dykman D, Staes CJ, Facelli J (2009). Web service architecture for management of reportable condition reporting and rules. AMIA Fall 2009 Symposium, Bethesda: Amercian Medical Informatics Association, 830.
- Epidemic Intelligence Service Officers Past and Present (10/14/2020). Open Letter by Epidemic Intelligence Service Officers Past and Present - in Support of CDC [Letter to the editor]. 41(10), 12-18.
- Phengphoo S (12/20/2020). Linking COVID-19 guidance for healthcare provider’s to Ely’s taxonomy of generic clinical questions [Abstract]. Learn Health Syst, 5(1), 2.
- Cummins M, Turcotte C, McFarland MM, Staes C (2022). Research outcomes of linked prescription drug monitoring program data: a scoping review protocol. BMJ Open (12(4), pp. e055290). England.
- Staes C, Campbell K (2017). Whitepaper: From retrospective mapping to prospective standardization: A comparison of integration strategies to achieve semantic data interoperability. Available from: http://solor.io/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/White-paper_Achieving-semantic-data-interoperability.pdf. Washington, DC: Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Office of Informatics and Analytics, Knowledge Based Systems.