Dr. Jones is currently a K12 scholar in the Clinical and Translational Science’s Career Development Program. She completed a postdoc with Dr. Joshua Smyth which focused on Ambulatory Biopsychology. Dr. Jones received her PhD in Biobehavioral Health from the Pennsylvania State University, where she was a T32 predoctoral fellow in the Pathways T32 Training Program to identify psychosocial determinants and biological pathways that underlie healthy aging. She also has a master’s degree in Experimental Psychology and a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Western Washington University.
<p>Dr. Jones uses a resilience-based approach to understand what protective factors (e.g., positive emotions, emotion stability, self-regulatory capacity, mindfulness) can be utilized as an asset or resource to decrease engagement in harmful health behaviors (e.g., tobacco and alcohol use) and to buffer against stress in ways that may reduce cancer risk. Her work incorporates novel mHealth methodologies (e.g., ecological momentary assessment, wearable sensors, just-in-time adaptive interventions) to assess these dynamic, microlevel resilience processes among populations that have been historically marginalized, which include individuals identifying with racial and ethnic minority groups and those living in poverty.</p>
Pennsylvania State University
Western Washington University
Western Washington University
- Jones, DR, Smyth, JM, Graham-Engeland, JE (2023). The relation between personality and affect intensity and dynamics: Do associations differ based on arousal? Current Psychology.
- Jones, DR, Ruiz, J, Schreier, HMC, Alison, M, Uchino, B, Russell, M, Taylor, D, Smith, T, Smyth, JM (2023). Mean affect and affect variability may interact to predict levels of inflammatory markers. Mean affect and affect variability may interact to predict levels of inflammatory markers. . Brain Behav Immun, 109, 168-174.
- Filipkowski KB, Jones DR, Bernstein MJ, Smyth JM (2021). Stress-responses to ostracism: Examining cortisol and affective reactivity to in-person and online exclusion. J Health Psychol, 27(8), 1793-1804.
- Johnson JA, Zawadzki MJ, Jones DR, Reichenberger J, Smyth JM (2021). Intra-individual Associations of Perceived Stress, Affective Valence, and Affective Arousal with Momentary Cortisol in a Sample of Working Adults. Ann Behav Med, 56(3), 305-310.
- Graham-Engeland J, DeMeo NN, Jones DR, Mathur A, Smyth JM, Sliwinski MJ, McGrady ME, Lipton RB, Katz MJ, Engeland CG (2022). Individuals with both higher recent negative affect and physical pain have higher levels of C-reactive protein. Brain Behav Immun Health, 21, 100431.
- Jones DR, Smyth JM, Graham-Engeland JE (2021). Associations between positively valenced affect and health behaviors vary by arousal. Appl Psychol Health Well Being, 14(1), 215-235.
- Smyth JM, Jones DR, Wen CKF, Materia FT, Schneider S, Stone A (2021). Influence of ecological momentary assessment study design features on reported willingness to participate and perceptions of potential research studies: an experimental study. BMJ Open, 11(7), e049154.
- Jones DR, Allen HK, Lanza ST, Graham-Engeland JE (2020). Daily associations between affect and alcohol use among adults: The importance of affective arousal. Addict Behav, 112, 106623.
- Jones DR, Smyth JM, Engeland CG, Sliwinski MJ, Russell MA, Sin NL, Almeida DM, Graham-Engeland JE (2020). Affect variability and inflammatory markers in midlife adults. Health Psychol, 39(8), 655-666.
- Slavish DC, Jones DR, Smyth JM, Engeland CG, Song S, McCormick NM, Graham-Engeland JE (2019). Positive and Negative Affect and Salivary Markers of Inflammation Among Young Adults. Int J Behav Med, 27(3), 282-293.
- Marini CM, Martire LM, Jones DR, Zhaoyang R, Buxton OM (2018). Daily Links Between Sleep and Anger Among Spouses of Chronic Pain Patients. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 75(5), 927-936.
- Jones DR, Lehman BJ, Noriega A, Dinnel DL (2019). The effects of a short-term mindfulness meditation intervention on coping flexibility. Anxiety Stress Coping, 32(4), 347-361.
- Jones DR, Graham-Engeland JE, Smyth JM, Lehman BJ (2018). Clarifying the Associations between Mindfulness Meditation and Emotion: Daily High- and Low-arousal Emotions and Emotional Variability. Appl Psychol Health Well Being, 10(3), 504-523.
- Graham-Engeland JE, Sin NL, Smyth JM, Jones DR, Knight EL, Sliwinski MJ, Almeida DM, Katz MJ, Lipton RB, Engeland CG (2018). Negative and positive affect as predictors of inflammation: Timing matters. Brain Behav Immun, 74, 222-230.
- Jones DR, Johnson JA, Graham-Engeland JE, Park CL, Smyth JM (2018). Is Perceived Growth Associated with Momentary Indicators of Health and Well-Being in People with Asthma or Rheumatoid Arthritis? Appl Psychol Health Well Being, 10(2), 254-271.
- Jones DR, Lehman BJ, Kirsch JK, Hennessy KG (2017). Pessimism moderates negative emotion responses to naturally occurring stress. J Res Pers, 69, 180-90.
- Lehman BJ, Kirsch JK, Jones DR (2015). Effectively analyzing change over time in laboratory research on stress and health: A multilevel modeling approach. Soc Personal Psychol Compass, 9(10), 551-66.
- Jones DR, Graham-Engeland JE (2020). Positive affect and peripheral inflammatory markers among adults: A narrative review. [Review]. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 123, 104892.