Erica Andersen is an Associate Professor of Clinical Pathology at the University of Utah and is the Laboratory Section Chief of the Cytogenetics and Genomic Microarray Laboratories at ARUP Laboratories. She received a PhD in Genetics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and completed a Clinical Cytogenetics fellowship at ARUP Laboratories and the University of Utah. She is board certified in Clinical Cytogenetics and Laboratory Genetics and Genomics by the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics and is a fellow of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics. Dr. Andersen's research and professional interests include improving diagnostic and interpretative tools and utilization of cytogenetic and genomic testing, including copy number variant interpretation. She is an active member of the Clinical Genome Resource (ClinGen) and has published novel genetic findings in hereditary conditions and hematologic neoplasms.
<p>Erica Andersen is an Associate Professor of Pathology at the University of Utah and Section Chief of the Cytogenetics and Genomic Microarray Laboratories at ARUP Laboratories in Salt Lake City, Utah. She received a PhD in Genetics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and completed a Clinical Cytogenetics fellowship at ARUP Laboratories and the University of Utah. She is board certified by the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics and is a fellow of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics. Dr. Andersen's research interests span both heritable and acquired genetic diseases. She has published novel genetic findings in association with developmental disorders and is an active member of the Clinical Genome Resource (ClinGen) group's efforts to improve constitutional copy number variant interpretation in the clinical setting. Her genetic oncology research projects include improving the diagnosis and monitoring for hematologic disease and understanding the genetic etiology of rare hematologic tumors, including histiocytic and dendritic cell neoplasms. </p>
University of Utah and ARUP Laboratories
University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Gonzales PR, Andersen EF, Brown TR, Horner VL, Horwitz J, Rehder CW, Rudy NL, Robin NH, Thorland EC, on behalf of the ACMG Laboratory Quality Assurance Committee (2021). Interpretation and reporting of large regions of homozygosity and suspected consanguinity/uniparental disomy, 2021 revision: A technical standard of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ACMG). Genetics in Medicine, 24(2), 255-261.
- Thaxton C, Good ME, DiStefano MT, Luo X, Andersen EF, Thorland E, Berg J, Martin CL, Rehm HL, Riggs ER, ClinGen Gene Curation Working Group, ClinGen Dosage Sensitivity Working Group (2021). Utilizing ClinGen gene-disease validity and dosage sensitivity curations to inform variant classification. Hum Mutat, 43, 1031-1040.
- Peron A, DArco F, Aldinger KA, Smith-HIcks C, Zweier C, Gradek GA, Bradbury K, Accogli A, Andersen EF, Au PYB, Battini R, Beleford D, Bird LM, Bouman A, Bruel AL, Busk OL, Campeau PM, Capra V, Carlston C, Carmichael J, Chassevent A, Clayton-Smith J, Bamshad MJ, Earl DL, Faivre L, Philippe C, Ferrerira P, Graul-Neumann L, Green MJ, Haffner D, Haldipur P, Hanna S, Houge G, Hurst J, Kraus C, Kristiansen BE, Lespinasse J, Low KJ, Lynch SA, Maia S, Mao R, Marcinkute R, Melver C, McDonald K, Montgomery T, Morleo M, Motter C, Openshaw AS, Palumbos JC, Parikh AS, Person R, Desai M, Piard J, Pfundt R, Scala M, Serey-Gaut M, Slavotinek A, Suri M, Turner C, Tvrdik T, Weiss K, Wentzensen IM, Zollino M, C4RCD Research Group, Teleton Undiagnosed Disease Program, UW-CMG, de Vries BBA, Guillemot F, Dobyns WB, Viskochil D, Dias C (September 2021). BCL11A intellectual developmental disorder: defining the clinical spectrum and genotype-phenotype correlations. medRxiv.
- Zhou XA, Yang J, Ringbloom KG, Martinez-Escala ME, Stevenson KE, Wenzel AT, Fantini D, Martin HK, Moy AP, Morgan EA, Harkins S, Paxton CN, Hong B, Andersen EF, Guitart J, Weinstock DM, Cerroni L, Choi J, Louissaint A (2020). Genomic landscape of cutaneous follicular lymphomas reveals 2 subgroups with clinically predictive molecular features. Blood Adv, 5(3), 649-661.
- Ballout RA, Dickerson C, Wick MJ, Al-Sweel N, Openshaw AS, Srivastava S, Swanson L, Bramswig NC, Kuechler A, Hong B, Fleming LR, Curry KT, Robertson SP, Andersen EF, El-Hattab AW (2020). Int22h1/Int22h2-mediated Xq28 duplication syndrome: de novo duplications, prenatal diagnoses, and additional phenotypic features. Hum Mutat, 41(7), 1238-1249.
- Riggs ER, Andersen EF, Cherry AM, Kantarci S, Kearney H, Patel A, Raca G, Ritter DI, South ST, Thorland EC, Pineda-Alvarez D, Aradhya S, Martin CL (2019). Technical standards for the interpretation and reporting of constitutional copy-number variants: a joint consensus recommendation of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ACMG) and the Clinical Genome Resource (ClinGen). Genetics in Medicine, 22(2), 245-257.
- Paulraj P, Diamond S, Razzaqi F, Ozeran JD, Longhurst M, Andersen EF, Toydemir RM, Hong B (2019). Pediatric acute myeloid leukemia with t(7;21)(p22;q22). Genes Chromosomes Cancer, 58(8), 551-557.
- Herriges JC, Brown S, Longhurst M, Ozmore J, Moeschler JB, Janze A, Meck J, South ST, Andersen EF (2018). Identification of two 14q32 deletions involving DICER1 associated with the development of DICER1-related tumors. Eur J Med Genet, 62(1), 9-14.
- Paulraj P, Bosworth M, Longhurst M, Hornbuckle C, Gotway G, Lamb AN, Andersen EF (2019). A Novel Homozygous Deletion within the FRY Gene Associated with Nonsyndromic Developmental Delay. Cytogenet Genome Res, 159(1), 19-25.
- Riggs ER, Nelson T, Merz A, Ackley T, Bunke B, Collins CD, Collinson MN, Fan YS, Goodenberger ML, Golden DM, Haglund-Hazy L, Krgovic D, Lamb AN, Lewis Z, Li G, Liu Y, Meck J, Neufeld-Kaiser W, Runke CK, Sanmann JN, Stavropoulos DJ, Strong E, Su M, Tayeh MK, Kokalj Vokac N, Thorland EC, Andersen E, Martin CL (2018). Copy number variant discrepancy resolution using the ClinGen dosage sensitivity map results in updated clinical interpretations in ClinVar. Hum Mutat, 39(11), 1650-1659.
- Zhou XA, Louissaint A Jr, Wenzel A, Yang J, Martinez-Escala ME, Moy AP, Morgan EA, Paxton CN, Hong B, Andersen EF, Guitart J, Behdad A, Cerroni L, Weinstock DM, Choi J (2018). Genomic Analyses Identify Recurrent Alterations in Immune Evasion Genes in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma, Leg Type. J Invest Dermatol, 138(11), 2365-2376.
- Andersen EF, Paxton CN, OMalley DP, Louissaint A Jr, Hornick JL, Griffin GK, Fedoriw Y, Kim YS, Weiss LM, Perkins SL, South ST (2017). Genomic analysis of follicular dendritic cell sarcoma by molecular inversion probe array reveals tumor suppressor-driven biology. Mod Pathol, 30(9), 1321-1334.
- Paxton CN, OMalley DP, Bellizzi AM, Alkapalan D, Fedoriw Y, Hornick JL, Perkins SL, South ST, Andersen EF (2017). Genetic evaluation of juvenile xanthogranuloma: genomic abnormalities are uncommon in solitary lesions, advanced cases may show more complexity. Mod Pathol, 30(9), 1234-1240.
- Andersen EF, Baldwin EE, Ellingwood S, Smith R, Lamb AN (2014). Xq28 duplication overlapping the int22h-1/int22h-2 region and including RAB39B and CLIC2 in a family with intellectual and developmental disability. Am J Med Genet A, 164A(7), 1795-801.
- Andersen EF, Carey JC, Earl DL, Corzo D, Suttie M, Hammond P, South ST (2014). Deletions involving genes WHSC1 and LETM1 may be necessary, but are not sufficient to cause Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome. Eur J Hum Genet, 22(4), 464-70.
- Ng DP, Miles RR, Andersen EF, Toydemir RM (2021). Flow Cytometry Is More Sensitive Than Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization for Detecting Minimal Residual Disease. [Letter to the editor]. Am J Clin Pathol, 156(4), 715-716.
- Longhurst M, Aston E, Zockle J, Zhou W, Rowe L, Frizzell K, Fredrickson E, OBrien K, Priest M, Clark C, Hong BAndersen E (March 2023). Validation of a Digital FISH Analysis Workflow in an Academic Reference Laboratory [Abstract]. 1(1, SUPP), 100469.
- Fedderson B, Tambunga B, Vitier G, Clark C, Zhao J, Andersen E, Hong B (March 2023). AI-Assisted Karyotyping Improves Efficiencies at Scale in the Cytogenetics Laboratory [Abstract]. 1(1, SUPP), 100468.
- Pizzo L, Lewis Z, Walsh L, Runke C, Noukas M, Mannik K, Tonisson M, Thorland E, Martin C, Rudd KAndersen E (March 2023). 2q11.2 Recurrent CNVs Including TMEM127 – A Collaborative Multi-Center Study of Neurodevelopmental Phenotypes and Hereditary PGL/PCC Syndromes [Abstract]. 1(1, SUPP), 100583.
- LaGrave D, Lasher R, Bosworth M, Openshaw A, Rudd K, Andersen E (March 2023). Prenatal Cytogenetic Test Review Adds Value to Clinical Care – Illustrated by Example Cases [Abstract]. 1(1, SUPP), 100654.
- Herriges J, Runke CK, Lewis ZK, Pizzo L, Coe B, Conlin LK, Hilton BA, Levy B, Vaags AK, Zhang S, Martin CLAndersen EF (March 2023). Evaluating novel dosage sensitivity predictors for inclusion in the classification of recurrent copy number variants [Abstract]. 1(1, SUPP), 100532.
- Lewis Z, Reich D, Clyde B, ZoBell S, Quigley DAndersen E (March 2023). Reinterpretation of Clinical Copy Number Variants: A Practical Approach for Implementation as a Routine Laboratory Practice [Abstract]. 1(1, SUPP), 100547.
- Anderson H, Andersen E, Rudd K, Wen T, Bosworth M (March 2023). Impact of NIPS Outside of Scope Reporting on Fetal and Maternal Cytogenetic Testing [Abstract]. 1(1, SUPP), 100658.
- Zhao J, Lewis Z, Reich D, Chapin A, Clayton A, Clyde B, Cox J, Fulmer M, Hong B, Lamb A, Mani C, Pizzo L, Quigley D, Rushton P, Schultz R, Tidwell T, Wen T, Zepeda-Mendoza C, Andersen E (March 2022). Implementation of 2019 ACMG technical standards for the interpretation and reporting of constitutional CNVs: Experiences from an academic reference laboratory. [Abstract]. 24(3), S367.
- Quigley D, Lewis ZK, Tidwell T, Clayton A, Chandler B, Cox JL, Hong B, Lamb AN, Mowery-Rushton P, Schultz R, Toydemir R, Xu X, Andersen E (April 2021). Reevaluation of copy number variant (CNV) classifications in the clinical laboratory setting: challenges, insights, and experiences with a laboratory-initiated process. [Abstract]. 252(S1), S15.
- Chandler B, Zhou W, Longhurst M, Rowe L, Siady D, Priest M, Clark C, Andersen EF, Quigley DI, Lamb AN (April 2021). Validation and implementation of BioDot instruments for semi-automated FISH slide processing [Abstract]. 252(S1), S4.
- Riggs E, Good M, Andersen E, Kantarci S, Kearney H, Patel A, Raca G, Ritter DI, Thorland EC, Pineda-Alvarez D, Aradhya S, Martin CL (April 2021). A web-based educational program to support the updated ACMG/ ClinGen technical standards for constitutional copy number variant classification [Abstract]. 132(S1), S235.
- Andersen E, Herriges J, Coe B, Conlin L, Goodenberger M, Hilton B, Jobanputra V, Levy B, Paulraj P, Riggs ER, Runke C, Schleede J, Speevak M, Zhang S, Thorland, Martin CL (April 2021). Standardizing recurrent copy number variant classification-from benign to reduced and high penetrance regions [Abstract]. 252(S1), S1-S2.
- Good M, Andersen E, Clayton A, Zhao J, Martin C, Riggs E, ClinGen Dosage Sensitivity Working Group (April 2021). Utilizing population-based genomic data to expedite the curation of genes and genomic regions for the ClinGen "dosage sensitivity unlikely" classification [Abstract]. 132(S1), S228-S229.
- Andersen EF, Zockle J, Chandler B, Delgado K, Quigley D, Toydemir R (2018). Development of an evidence-based algorithm to guide IGH-based reflex testing for plasma cell neoplasms [Abstract]. Blood, 132(132), 5586.
- Andersen E, Burnside R, Coe B, Conlin L, Herriges J, Higginbotham T, Hilton B, Jobanputra V, Kearney H, Ouyang K, Paulraj P, Riggs E, Rowsey R, Speevak M, Thorland E, Zhang L, Martin C, on behalf of the Clinical Genome Resource ClinGen (June 2018). Dosage Sensitivity Curation of Recurrent Copy Number Variant Regions. 2018 American Cytogenomics Conference [Abstract]. Cancer Genetics, 224-225(August 2018), 61.
- Zockle J, Chandler B, Delgado K, Quigley D, Toydemir R, Andersen E (June 2018). An evidence-based approach to guide IGH-based reflex testing for plasma cell neoplasms. 2018 American Cytogenomics Conference [Abstract]. Cancer Genetics, 224-225(August 2018), 53.
- Longhurst MC, Salama M, VanNess M, Kovacsovics TJ, Rodgers GM, Shami PJ, Deininger MW, South ST, Andersen EF (November 2016). Increased sensitivity for detection of genomic abnormalities from plasma cell-free DNA in myelodysplastic syndromes by SNP-Array [Abstract]. The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, 18(6), 1052.
- Andersen EF, Salama ME, Sederberg MC, Toydemir RM, Kovacsovics TJ, Parker CJ, Rodgers GM, Shami PJ, Deininger MW, South ST (April 2015). Evaluating the clinical utility of peripheral blood samples for molecular evaluation of MDS by SNP-A [Abstract]. Leukemia Research, 39(Supp 1), S72.
- Andersen EF (2020). Introduction to Cytogenetics: Part 2. [Video]. Salt Lake City: University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, and ARUP Laboratories, Institute for Learning.
- Andersen EF (2020). Introduction to Cytogenetics: Part 1. [Video]. Salt Lake City: University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, and ARUP Laboratories, Institute for Learning.
- Andersen EF (11/15/2018). Clinical Cytogenetic Testing: Applications in Constitutional and Oncology Settings [Video]. Salt Lake City: University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, and ARUP Laboratories, Institute for Learning. Available: arup.utah.edu/education/andersen-conCyto-2018.php/.
- Andersen EF (06/01/2016). Genomic Microarray in Constitutional and Oncology Settings [Video]. Salt Lake City: University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Pathology and ARUP Laboratories, Institute for Learning. Available: arup.utah.edu/education/genomicMicroarray.php/.