Jessica Sanders is an Assistant Professor at the University of Utah in the Division of Family Planning. She received her PhD in Public Health from the University of Utah with an emphasis in Women’s Health. Dr. Sanders approaches contraceptive access through a human rights lens, advocating for the full range of reproductive health options through interdisciplinary academic and clinical research to ensure an evidence-based and person-centered approach to education, policy, and clinical care. Research interests include: Family Planning, Contraception, Abortion, Patient Reported Outcomes, Health Policy, Policy Evaluation, Medicaid, Infertility, Subfecundity, Sexual Experience, Sexuality, Social Determinants of Health, Linked-Data, Health Care Access and Equity
University of Utah School of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
- Myers K, Sanders JN, Dalessandro C, Sexsmith CD, Geist C, Turok DK (2021). The HER Salt Lake media campaign: comparing characteristics and outcomes of clients who make appointments online versus standard scheduling. BMC Womens Health, 21(1), 121.
- Sexsmith CD, Sanders JN, Simmons RG, Dalessandro C, Turok DK (2021). Contraceptive Method Uptake at Title X Health Centers in Utah. Womens Health Issues, 31(3), 219-226.
- Gaj EB, Sanders JN, Singer PM (2021). State Legislation Related to Abortion Services, January 2017 to November 2020. JAMA Intern Med.
- Higgins JA, Kramer RD, Wright KQ, Everett B, Turok DK, Sanders JN (2021). Sexual Functioning, Satisfaction, and Well-Being Among Contraceptive Users: A Three-Month Assessment From the HER Salt Lake Contraceptive Initiative. J Sex Res, 1-10.
- Turok DK, Gero A, Simmons RG, Kaiser JE, Stoddard GJ, Sexsmith CD, Gawron LM, Sanders JN (2021). Levonorgestrel vs. Copper Intrauterine Devices for Emergency Contraception. N Engl J Med, 384(4), 335-344.
- Hopelian NG, Simmons RG, Sanders JN, Ward K, Jenkins SM, Espey E, Turok DK (2021). Comparison of levonorgestrel level and creamatocrit in milk following immediate versus delayed postpartum placement of the levonorgestrel IUD. BMC Womens Health, 21(1), 33.
- Simmons RG, Myers K, Gero A, Sanders JN, Quade C, Mullholand M, Turok DK (2020). Evaluating a Longitudinal Cohort of Clinics Engaging in the Family Planning Elevated Contraceptive Access Program: Study Protocol for a Comparative Interrupted Time Series Analysis. JMIR Res Protoc, 9(10), e18308.
- Gawron LM, Sanders JN, Sward K, Poursaid AE, Simmons R, Turok DK (2019). Multi-morbidity and Highly Effective Contraception in Reproductive-Age Women in the US Intermountain West: a Retrospective Cohort Study. J Gen Intern Med, 35(3), 637-642.
- Gawron LM, Simmons RG, Sanders JN, Myers K, Gundlapalli AV, Turok DK (2019). The effect of a no-cost contraceptive initiative on method selection by women with housing insecurity. Contraception, 101(3), 205-209.
- Royer PA, Olson LM, Jackson B, Weber LS, Gawron L, Sanders JN, Turok DK (2019). "In Africa, There Was No Family Planning. Every Year You Just Give Birth": Family Planning Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices Among Somali and Congolese Refugee Women After Resettlement to the United States. Qual Health Res, 30(3), 391-408.
- Everett BG, Myers K, Sanders JN, Turok DK (2019). Male Abortion Beneficiaries: Exploring the Long-Term Educational and Economic Associations of Abortion Among Men Who Report Teen Pregnancy. J Adolesc Health, 65(4), 520-526.
- Thompson I, Sanders JN, Schwarz EB, Boraas C, Turok DK (2019). Copper intrauterine device placement 6-14 days after unprotected sex. Contraception, 100(3), 219-221.
- Royer PA, Turok DK, Sanders JN, Saltzman HM (2016). Choice of Emergency Contraceptive and Decision Making Regarding Subsequent Unintended Pregnancy. J Womens Health (Larchmt), 25(10), 1038-1043.
- Sanders JN, Gawron LM, Friedman S (2016). Sexual satisfaction and inflammatory bowel diseases: an interdisciplinary clinical challenge. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 215(1), 58-62.
- Stanford JB, Sanders JN, Simonsen SE, Hammoud A, Gibson M, Smith KR (2016). Methods for a Retrospective Population-based and Clinic-based Subfertility Cohort Study: the Fertility Experiences Study. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol, 30(4), 397-407.
- Dermish A, Turok DK, Jacobson J, Murphy PA, Saltzman HM, Sanders JN (2016). Evaluation of an intervention designed to improve the management of difficult IUD insertions by advanced practice clinicians. Contraception, 93(6), 533-8.
- Turok DK, Sanders JN, Thompson IS, Royer PA, Eggebroten J, Gawron LM (2016). Preference for and efficacy of oral levonorgestrel for emergency contraception with concomitant placement of a levonorgestrel IUD: a prospective cohort study. Contraception, 93(6), 526-32.
- Gawron LM, Gero A, Kushner KL, Turok DK, Sanders JN (2019). Unprotected intercourse in the 2 weeks prior to quick-start initiation of an etonogestrel contraceptive implant with and without use of oral emergency contraception. [Letter to the editor]. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 222(4S), S891-S892.