A Health Psychologist by training, my research is focused on relational and contextual factors associated with patient centered care, shared decision making, clinician education, clinical decision making implementation, and sociotechnical research tackling large problems in Biomedical Informatics. I focus on the goals and personal experiences of patients, and how clinicians obtain and use that information to encourage active patient involvement in patient centered care and shared decision making, particularly for older populations. I study clinician decision making in antibiotic prescribing, pneumonia, sepsis, and other areas and the systems and solutions that support those decision processes for optimal decision making. I use these goals to support development and evaluation of implementation of informatics solutions for enhancing patient centered care and clinical decision making. I also evaluate educational experiences of physicians, nurses, and other associated health trainees. My expertise in quantitative methods, qualitative methods, and usability inform my role as Associate Director for Education and Evaluation in the VA Salt Lake City Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (GRECC), and research I direct measuring patient centered care in patient-provider and caregiver interactions in VA and University of Utah healthcare systems.
<p><span><span><span><spansegoe ui><span>My research interests include sociotechnical systems and implementation science of patient-centered care, geriatrics, and medical decision-making (including shared decision-making). I engage in foundational development, evaluation, and implementation of informatics solutions supporting medical decision-making across healthcare systems and decision contexts, e.g., chronic pain, antibiotic prescribing, sepsis, and cancer. My expertise includes qualitative, quantitative, and survey methods examining individual differences, workflow, and usability, for patient and clinician-facing technology. Trained in team science since graduate school, I have contributed leadership to sociotechnical work within a team science environment. I have led sociotechnical research, qualitative research, survey design, and implementation studies as a co-Investigator across multiple projects. I have also provided mentorship to junior colleagues as second or co-first author on multiple occasions. I am Associate Director for Education and Evaluation in the VA Salt Lake City Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (GRECC) and a Principal Investigator in the VA Salt Lake City Informatics, Decision-Enhancement, and Analytics (IDEAS) Center of Innovation. </span></spansegoe></span></span></span></p>
University of Utah
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Riverside
- Payne VL, Partridge B, Bozkurt S, Nandwani A, Butler JM (2023). Accomplished women leaders in informatics: insights about successful careers. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 30(9), 1567-1572.
- Thorpe A, Levy AG, Scherer LD, Scherer AM, Drews FA, Butler JM, Fagerlin A (2023). Impact of prior COVID-19 infection on perceptions about the benefit and safety of COVID-19 vaccines. Am J Infect Control.
- Shoemaker HE, Thorpe A, Stevens V, Butler JM, Drews FA, Burpo N, Scherer LD, Fagerlin A (2023). Telehealth use during the COVID-19 pandemic among Veterans and non-Veterans: An Online Survey. JMIR Form Res.
- Kukhareva PV, Li H, Caverly TJ, Del Fiol G, Fagerlin A, Butler JM, Hess R, Zhang Y, Taft T, Flynn MC, Reddy C, Martin DK, Rodriguez-Loya S, Warner PB, Kawamoto K (2023). Implementation of Lung Cancer Screening in Primary Care and Pulmonary Clinics: Pragmatic Clinical Trial of Electronic Health Record-Integrated Everyday Shared Decision Making Tool and Clinician-Facing Prompts. Chest.
- Sharareh N, Wang CY, S Wallace A, Butler J (2023). Indications of food insecurity in the content of telephone calls to a community referral system. PLoS One, 18(4), e0284624.
- Tjilos M, Drainoni ML, Burrowes SAB, Butler JM, Damschroder LJ, Bidwell Goetz M, Madaras-Kelly K, Reardon CM, Samore MH, Shen J, Stenehjem EA, Zhang Y, Barlam TF (2023). A qualitative evaluation of frontline clinician perspectives toward antibiotic stewardship programs. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol, 1-7.
- Levy AG, Thorpe A, Scherer LD, Scherer AM, Butler JM, Shoemaker H, Fagerlin A (2023). Parental Nonadherence to Health Policy Recommendations for Prevention of COVID-19 Transmission Among Children. JAMA Netw Open, 6(3), e231587.
- Goedken CC, Butler JM, Judd J, Brown N, Rubin M, Goetz MB (2023). Antimicrobial physician and pharmacist experience and perception of an antimicrobial Self-Stewardship Time-Out Program (SSTOP) intervention at eight Veterans' Affairs medical centers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol, 1-4.
- Brown SM, Dinglas VD, Akhlaghi N, Bose S, Banner-Goodspeed V, Beesley S, Groat D, Greene T, Hopkins RO, Mir-Kasimov M, Sevin CM, Turnbull AE, Jackson JC, Needham DM, Caraker E, Cherukuri SPS, Kadiri NP, Kalva T, Koneru M, Kota P, Lee EM, Mahmoud MA, Malik A, Nikooie R, Roberts D, Singu S, Vaziri P, Brown K, Daw A, Merrill M, Smith R, Hirshberg E, Butler J, Hoenig B, Karamourtopoulos M, Hays M, Abel R, High C, Beck E, Armbruster B, Applegate D, Fergus M, Kumar N, Roth M, Mogan S, Abel R, De Souza Licht A, Londono I, Larson J, Capers K, Karamourtopoulos M, Hoenig B, Toksoz-Exley A, Crane J (2022). Association between unmet medication needs after hospital discharge and readmission or death among acute respiratory failure survivors: the addressing post-intensive care syndrome (APICS-01) multicenter prospective cohort study. Crit Care, 26(1).
- Gomez Lumbreras A, Reese TJ, Del Fiol G, Tan MS, Butler JM, Hurwitz JT, Brown M, Kawamoto K, Thiess H, Wright M, Malone DC (2022). Shared Decision-Making for Drug-Drug Interactions: Formative Evaluation of an Anticoagulant Drug Interaction. JMIR Form Res, 6(10), e40018.
- Farrell TW, Volden TA, Butler JM, Eleazer GP, Rupper RW, Echt KV, Shaughnessy M, Supiano MA (2022). Age-friendly care in the Veterans Health Administration: past, present, and future. J Am Geriatr Soc, 71(1), 18-25.
- Levy AG, Thorpe A, Scherer LD, Scherer AM, Drews FA, Butler JM, Burpo N, Shoemaker H, Stevens V, Fagerlin A (2022). Misrepresentation and Nonadherence Regarding COVID-19 Public Health Measures. JAMA Netw Open, 5(10), e2235837.
- Thorpe A, Fagerlin A, Butler J, Stevens V, Drews FA, Shoemaker H, Riddoch MS, Scherer LD (2022). Communicating about COVID-19 vaccine development and safety. PLoS One, 17(8), e0272426.
- Farrell TW, Butler JM, Towsley GL, Telonidis JS, Supiano KP, Stephens CE, Nelson NM, May AL, Edelman LS (2022). Communication Disparities between Nursing Home Team Members. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 19(10).
- Graber CJ, Simon AR, Zhang Y, Goetz MB, Jones MM, Butler JM, Chou AF, Glassman PA (2022). Performance of infectious diseases specialists, hospitalists, and other internal medicine physicians in antimicrobial case-based scenarios: Potential impact of antimicrobial stewardship programs at 16 Veterans' Affairs medical centers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol, 44(3), 1-6.
- Thorpe A, Fagerlin A, Drews FA, Butler J, Stevens V, Riddoch MS, Scherer LD (2022). Communications to Promote Interest and Confidence in COVID-19 Vaccines. Am J Health Promot, 36(6), 8901171221082904.
- Knight SJ, Haibach JP, Hamilton AB, Whittle J, Ono SS, Butler J, Flower M, Ray CD, Pugh MJ, Zickmund SL (2022). Veteran Engagement in Health Services Research: a Conceptual Model. J Gen Intern Med, 37(Suppl 1), 94-98.
- Butler JM, Gibson B, Patterson OV, Damschroder LJ, Halls CH, Denhalter DW, Samore MH, Li H, Zhang Y, DuVall SL (2022). Clinician documentation of patient centered care in the electronic health record. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak, 22(1), 65.
- Farrell TW, Towsley GL, Eaton J, Butler JM, Supiano KP, Stephens C, Witt C, Nelson NM, Edelman LS (2022). The Development and Validation of a Communication Survey Instrument for Long-term Care Staff. J Contin Educ Nurs, 53(3), 123-130.
- Butler JM, Gibson B, Schnock K, Bates D, Classen D (2022). Patient Perceptions of Hospital Experiences: Implications for Innovations in Patient Safety. J Patient Saf, 18(2), e563-e567.
- Burrowes SAB, Drainoni ML, Tjilos M, Butler JM, Damschroder LJ, Goetz MB, Madaras-Kelly K, Reardon CM, Samore MH, Shen J, Stenehjem E, Zhang Y, Barlam TF (2021). Survey of physician and pharmacist steward perceptions of their antibiotic stewardship programs. Antimicrob Steward Healthc Epidemiol, 1(1), e48.
- Van De Graaff M, Hopkins RO, Gee J, Beesley SJ, Butler J, Richards T, Crowley A, Lappe D, Brown SM (2021). Partners in Healing: Redesign and expansion of family involvement in inpatient nursing care. Nursing, 51(11), 64-68.
- Harris BR, Beesley SJ, Hopkins RO, Hirshberg EL, Wilson E, Butler J, Oniki TA, Kuttler KG, Orme JF, Brown SM (2021). Heart rate variability and subsequent psychological distress among family members of intensive care unit patients. J Int Med Res, 49(11), 3000605211057829.
- Beesley SJ, Powell A, Groat D, Butler J, Hopkins RO, Rozenblum R, Aboumatar H, Butler AM, Sugarman J, Francis L, Brown SM (2021). Evaluating the Balance Between Privacy and Access in Digital Information Sharing. Crit Care Med, 50, e109-e116.
- Sanyer O, Butler JM, Fortenberry K, Webb-Allen T, Ose D (2021). Information sharing via electronic health records in team-based care: the patient perspective. Fam Pract, 38(4), 468-472.
- Taber P, Weir C, Butler JM, Graber CJ, Jones MM, Madaras-Kelly K, Zhang Y, Chou AF, Samore MH, Goetz MB, Glassman PA (2021). Social dynamics of a population-level dashboard for antimicrobial stewardship: A qualitative analysis. Am J Infect Control, 49(7), 862-867.
- Butler JM Gibson B Schnock K Bates D Classen D (2021). Patient Perspectives of Hospital Experiences: Implications for Innovations in Public Safety. J Patient Saf.
- Schnock K, Roulier S, Butler J, Dykes P, Fiskio J, Gibson B, Lipsitz S, Miller S, Shaykevich S, Bates D, Classen D (2021). Engaging Patients in the Use of Real-Time Electronic Clinical Data to Improve the Safety and Reliability of Their Own Care. J Patient Saf, 18, e407-e413.
- Marchand WR, Sandoval K, Lackner R, Parker SC, Herrmann T, Yabko B, Velasquez T, Lewis L, Butler J (2020). Mindfulness-based interventions for military veterans: A systematic review and analysis of the literature. Complement Ther Clin Pract, 42, 101274.
- Dassel KB, Rupper R, Supiano K, Andersen T, Butler J, Telonidis J, Edelman LS (2020). Geriatrics workforce enhancement program: educational outcomes of community-based dementia caregiver conferences. Educ Gerontol, 46(12), 768-773.
- Shimada SL, Zocchi MS, Hogan TP, Kertesz SG, Rotondi AJ, Butler JM, Knight SJ, DeLaughter K, Kleinberg F, Nicklas J, Nazi KM, Houston TK (2020). Impact of Patient-Clinical Team Secure Messaging on Communication Patterns and Patient Experience: Randomized Encouragement Design Trial. J Med Internet Res, 22(11), e22307.
- Butler JM, Gibson B, Lewis L, Reiber G, Kramer H, Rupper R, Herout J, Long B, Massaro D, Nebeker J (2020). Patient-centered care and the electronic health record: exploring functionality and gaps. JAMIA Open, 3(3), 360-368.
- Beesley SJ, Hirshberg EL, Wilson EL, Butler JM, Oniki TA, Kuttler KG, Orme JF, Hopkins RO, Brown SM (2020). Depression and Change in Caregiver Burden Among Family Members of Intensive Care Unit Survivors. Am J Crit Care, 29(5), 350-357.
- Hruza HR, Velasquez T, Madaras-Kelly KJ, Fleming-Dutra KE, Samore MH, Butler JM (2020). Evaluation of clinicians' knowledge, attitudes, and planned behaviors related to an intervention to improve acute respiratory infection management. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol, 41(6), 672-679.
- Dassel K, Butler J, Telonidis J, Edelman L (2020). Development and evaluation of Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias (ADRD) best care practices in long-term care online training program. Educ Gerontol, 46(3), 150-157.
- Rosenberg LJ, Butler JM, Caprio AJ, Rhodes RL, Braun UK, Vitale CA, Telonidis J, Periyakoil VS, Farrell TW (2019). Results From a Survey of American Geriatrics Society Members' Views on Physician-Assisted Suicide. J Am Geriatr Soc, 68(1), 23-30.
- Berg CA, Butner J, Wiebe DJ, Lansing AH, Osborn P, King PS, Palmer DL, Butler JM (2017). Developmental Model of Parent-Child Coordination for Self-Regulation Across Childhood and Into Emerging Adulthood: Type 1 Diabetes Management as an Example. Dev Rev, 46, 1-26.
- Gibson B, Butler J, Doyon K, Ellington L, Bray BE, Zeng Q (2017). Veterans Like Me: Formative evaluation of a patient decision aid design. J Biomed Inform, 71S, S46-S52.
- Butler JM, Anderson KA, Supiano MA, Weir CR (2017). "It Feels Like a Lot of Extra Work": Resident Attitudes About Quality Improvement and Implications for an Effective Learning Health Care System. Acad Med, 92(7), 984-990.
- Butler JM, Hirshberg EL, Hopkins RO, Wilson EL, Orme JF, Beesley SJ, Kuttler K, Brown SM (2016). Preliminary Identification of Coping Profiles Relevant to Surrogate Decision Making in the ICU. PLoS One, 11(11), e0166542.
- Zeng-Treitler Q, Gibson B, Hill B, Butler J, Christensen C, Redd D, Shao Y, Bray B (2016). The effect of simulated narratives that leverage EMR data on shared decision-making: a pilot study. BMC Res Notes, 9, 359.
- Gibson B, Butler JM, Lewis L, Weir C (2016). Predictors of patient's intentions to participate in pragmatic clinical trials: An initial exploration. SSM Popul Health, 2, 90-94.
- Graber CJ, Jones MM, Glassman PA, Weir C, Butler J, Nechodom K, Kay CL, Furman AE, Tran TT, Foltz C, Pollack LA, Samore MH, Goetz MB (2015). Taking an Antibiotic Time-out: Utilization and Usability of a Self-Stewardship Time-out Program for Renewal of Vancomycin and Piperacillin-Tazobactam. Hosp Pharm, 50(11), 1011-24.
- Jones M, Butler J, Graber C, Glassman P, Samore MH, Weir C, Goetz MB (2015). A cognitive perspective of an antibiotic timeout program. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control, 4(Suppl 1), 187.
- Nelson RE, Xie Y, DuVall SL, Butler J, Kamauu AWC, Knippenberg K, Schuerch M, Foskett N, LaFleur J (2015). Multiple sclerosis and risk of infection-related hospitalization and death in US veterans. Int J MS Care, 17(5), 221-230.
- Weir CR, Butler J, Thraen I, Woods PA, Hermos J, Ferguson R, Gleason T, Barrus R, Fiore L (2014). Veterans Healthcare Administration providers' attitudes and perceptions regarding pragmatic trials embedded at the point of care. Clin Trials, 11(3), 292-299.
- Butler JM, Carter M, Hayden C, Gibson B, Weir C, Snow L, Morales J, Smith A, Bateman K, Gundlapalli AV, Samore M (2013). Understanding adoption of a personal health record in rural health care clinics: revealing barriers and facilitators of adoption including attributions about potential patient portal users and self-reported characteristics of early adopting users. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2013, 152-61.
- Fortenberry K, Butler J, Butner J, Berg C, Upchurch R, Wiebe D (2012). Erratum: Perceived diabetes task competence mediates the relationship of both negative and positive affect with blood glucose in adolescents with type 1 diabetes (Annals of Behavioral Medicine DOI: 10.1007/s12160-009-9086-7). Ann Behav Med, 44(1), 142.
- Butler J, Fortenberry K, Berg C, McCabe J, Blakemore T, Wiebe D (2011). Early adolescents' goals and mothers' accuracy in predicting adolescent goals in the context of type 1 diabetes. Child Health Care, 40(2), 155-169.