The microbiota is now appreciated to have clear and important effects on mammalian health. However, this community is complex including bacterial, fungal and viral members. Moreover, most research in this area is correlative and lacks clear mechanistic studies. My research program is designed to extend beyond the correlative studies and draw causal associations between gut microbes and health. I have designed this program to analyze a diverse array of microbes including bacteriophages (viral), fungi and bacteria and to uncover the mechanistic underpinnings of how these organisms influence disease. Our work extends into many areas of health including gastro-intestinal diseases such as IBD and colorectal cancer, neurological disorders and metabolism. Given this breadth, my research program integrates a wealth of collaborators to ensure well-rounded expertise in all areas. This has allowed us to move into new areas and forge an inter-disciplinary training program for students and post-doctoral fellows that train in my laboratory. My end goal is to exploit interactions with commensal microbes and the host immune system to harness microbial products for therapies.
California Institute of Technology
University of California at Los Angeles
University of the Pacific
California Lutheran University
- Stephens WZ, Kubinak JL, Ghazaryan A, Bauer KM, Bell R, Buhrke K, Chiaro TR, Weis AM, Tang WW, Monts JK, Soto R, Ekiz HA, OConnell RM, Round JL (2020). Epithelial-myeloid exchange of MHC class II constrains immunity and microbiota composition. Cell Rep, 37(5), 109916.
- Klag KA, Round JL (2021). Microbiota-Immune Interactions Regulate Metabolic Disease. J Immunol, 207(7), 1719-1724.
- Kirsch JM, Brzozowski RS, Faith D, Round JL, Secor PR, Duerkop BA (2021). Bacteriophage-Bacteria Interactions in the Gut: From Invertebrates to Mammals. Annu Rev Virol, 8(1), 95-113.
- Eisele Y, Mallea PM, Gigic B, Stephens WZ, Warby CA, Buhrke K, Lin T, Boehm J, Schrotz-King P, Hardikar S, Huang LC, Pickron TB, Scaife CL, Viskochil R, Koelsch T, Peoples AR, Pletneva MA, Bronner M, Schneider M, Ulrich AB, Swanson EA, Toriola AT, Shibata D, Li CI, Siegel EM, Figueiredo J, Janssen KP, Hauner H, Round J, Ulrich CM, Holowatyj AN, Ose J (2021). Fusobacterium nucleatum and Clinicopathologic Features of Colorectal Cancer: Results From the ColoCare Study. Clin Colorectal Cancer, 20(3), e165-e172.
- Gogokhia L, Round JL (2021). Immune-bacteriophage interactions in inflammatory bowel diseases. Curr Opin Virol, 49, 30-35.
- Ost KS, OMeara TR, Stephens WZ, Chiaro T, Zhou H, Penman J, Bell R, Catanzaro JR, Song D, Singh S, Call DH, Hwang-Wong E, Hanson KE, Valentine JF, Christensen KA, OConnell RM, Cormack B, Ibrahim AS, Palm NW, Noble SM, Round JL (2021). Adaptive immunity induces mutualism between commensal eukaryotes. Nature, 596(7870), 114-118.
- Bauer KM, Round JL, OConnell RM (2021). No small matter: emerging roles for exosomal miRNAs in the immune system. FEBS J, 289(14), 4021-4037.
- Zegarra-Ruiz DF, Kim DV, Norwood K, Kim M, Wu WH, Saldana-Morales FB, Hill AA, Majumdar S, Orozco S, Bell R, Round JL, Longman RS, Egawa T, Bettini ML, Diehl GE (2021). Thymic development of gut-microbiota-specific T cells. Nature, 594(7863), 413-417.
- Hill JH, Round JL (2021). SnapShot: Microbiota effects on host physiology. Cell, 184(10), 2796-2796.e1.
- Huffaker TB, Ekiz HA, Barba C, Lee SH, Runtsch MC, Nelson MC, Bauer KM, Tang WW, Mosbruger TL, Cox JE, Round JL, Voth WP, OConnell RM (2021). A Stat1 bound enhancer promotes Nampt expression and function within tumor associated macrophages. Nat Commun, 12(1), 2620.
- Chiaro T, Round JL (2021). Fungi prevent intestinal healing. Science, 371(6534), 1102-1103.
- Weis AM, Round JL (2022). Microbiota-antibody interactions that regulate gut homeostasis. Cell Host Microbe, 29(3), 334-346.
- Klag K, Round JL (2020). Immunology: How the Microbiota Digests Bile to Protect against Viral Infection. Curr Biol, 30(20), R1271-R1272.
- Sanchez JMS, Doty DJ, DePaula-Silva AB, Brown DG, Bell R, Klag KA, Truong A, Libbey JE, Round JL, Fujinami RS (2020). Molecular patterns from a human gut-derived Lactobacillus strain suppress pathogenic infiltration of leukocytes into the central nervous system. J Neuroinflammation, 17(1), 291.
- Yeung F, Chen YH, Lin JD, Leung JM, McCauley C, Devlin JC, Hansen C, Cronkite A, Stephens Z, Drake-Dunn C, Fulmer Y, Shopsin B, Ruggles KV, Round JL, Loke P, Graham AL, Cadwell K (2020). Altered Immunity of Laboratory Mice in the Natural Environment Is Associated with Fungal Colonization. Cell Host Microbe, 27(5), 809-822.e6.
- Petersen C, Bell R, Klag KA, Lee SH, Soto R, Ghazaryan A, Buhrke K, Ekiz HA, Ost KS, Boudina S, OConnell RM, Cox JE, Villanueva CJ, Stephens WZ, Round JL (2018). T cell-mediated regulation of the microbiota protects against obesity. Science, 365(6451).
- Brown DG, Soto R, Yandamuri S, Stone C, Dickey L, Gomes-Neto JC, Pastuzyn ED, Bell R, Petersen C, Buhrke K, Fujinami RS, OConnell RM, Stephens WZ, Shepherd JD, Lane TE, Round JL (2019). The microbiota protects from viral-induced neurologic damage through microglia-intrinsic TLR signaling. Elife, 8.
- Gogokhia L, Buhrke K, Bell R, Hoffman B, Brown DG, Hanke-Gogokhia C, Ajami NJ, Wong MC, Ghazaryan A, Valentine JF, Porter N, Martens E, OConnell R, Jacob V, Scherl E, Crawford C, Stephens WZ, Casjens SR, Longman RS, Round JL (2018). Expansion of Bacteriophages Is Linked to Aggravated Intestinal Inflammation and Colitis. Cell Host Microbe, 25(2), 285-299.e8.
- Soto R, Petersen C, Novis CL, Kubinak JL, Bell R, Stephens WZ, Lane TE, Fujinami RS, Bosque A, OConnell RM, Round JL (2017). Microbiota promotes systemic T-cell survival through suppression of an apoptotic factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 114(21), 5497-5502.
- Chiaro TR, Soto R, Zac Stephens W, Kubinak JL, Petersen C, Gogokhia L, Bell R, Delgado JC, Cox J, Voth W, Brown J, Stillman DJ, OConnell RM, Tebo AE, Round JL (2017). A member of the gut mycobiota modulates host purine metabolism exacerbating colitis in mice. Sci Transl Med, 9(380).
- Kubinak JL, Stephens WZ, Soto R, Petersen C, Chiaro T, Gogokhia L, Bell R, Ajami NJ, Petrosino JF, Morrison L, Potts WK, Jensen PE, OConnell RM, Round JL (2015). MHC variation sculpts individualized microbial communities that control susceptibility to enteric infection. Nat Commun, 6, 8642.
- Kubinak JL, Petersen C, Stephens WZ, Soto R, Bake E, OConnell RM, Round JL (2015). MyD88 signaling in T cells directs IgA-mediated control of the microbiota to promote health. Cell Host Microbe, 17(2), 153-63.
- Round JL, Lee SM, Li J, Tran G, Jabri B, Chatila TA, Mazmanian SK (2011). The Toll-like receptor 2 pathway establishes colonization by a commensal of the human microbiota. Science, 332(6032), 974-7.
- Round JL, Mazmanian SK (2010). Inducible Foxp3+ regulatory T-cell development by a commensal bacterium of the intestinal microbiota. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 107(27), 12204-9.
- Mazmanian SK, Round JL, Kasper DL (2008). A microbial symbiosis factor prevents intestinal inflammatory disease. Nature, 453(7195), 620-5.
- Ost, K and June L Round (2018). Communication between the microbiota and mammalian immunity. [Review]. Annu Rev Microbiol, 72, 399-422.
- Kubinak, J, and June L Round (2016). Do antibodies select a healthy microbiota? [Review]. Nat Rev Immunol, 16, 767-774.
- Round, JL and Noah Palm (2018). Casual effects of the microbiota on immune-mediated disease. 9(3), 20.
- Ost, K and June L Round (2017). A Few Good Commensals: Gut microbes use IFN-? to Fight Salmonella. 46(6), 977-979.
- Brown, DG, and June L Round (2017). Friends in low places: Intestinal commensals limit colitis through molecular mimcry. 171(3), 503-505.
- Round J (2011). Antigen specific Tregs and specific and related compositions, methods and systems. U.S. Patent No. 20110287048. Washington, D.C.:U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Round J (2010). Methods and Systems for identifying immunomodulatory substances. U.S. Patent No. 20100275282. Washington, D.C.:U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.