Katherine (Kathy) Sward is a Professor in Nursing and adjunct Professor in Biomedical Informatics. She worked clinically as a nurse before obtaining MS and PhD degrees in informatics at the U of U and moving to an academic role, specializing in biomedical informatics/nursing informatics. She has deep familiarity with clinical and translational research and team science, and extensive experience with informatics to support complex and multi-center trials. She has led extramural research projects and academic teams. She serves as Co-Investigator for the Utah Data Coordinating Center (U01HD049934; PI Dean); as co-I for the Utah Trial Innovation Center [TIC] and Helping End Addiction Longterm [HEAL] supplement (U24TR001597; PI Dean), as well as Co-I for the Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network [CPCCRN] (PL1HD105462; PI Dean). In those roles, she leads efforts for data harmonization, information management, and informatics/data science initiatives. She also leads efforts to examine the effects of the environment on health and to incorporate sensors into clinical research and co-directs the Center of Excellence for Exposure Health Research. Dr. Sward has extensive teaching and curriculum development experience teaches a variety of informatics and nursing research courses. She is widely sought as a scientific mentor and has mentored more than 50 graduate students and faculty.
Extensive experience in biomedical and nursing informatics including terminology/vocabulary management and data/information standards; and the design, development, and implementation of decision support systems and databases. Diverse clinical background including clinical nursing (Med-Surg and ICU), education, and administration. Current research is in the area of clinical research informatics, including clinical and translational research and the unique aspects of managing research information in special populations (e.g., pediatrics, ICU, oncology, gerontology, women's health); as well as informatics to support exposure science, sensor monitoring.
University of Utah
University of Utah
Westminster College of Salt Lake City
Lutheran Hospital School for Nurses
- Li K Sward K Deng H Morrison J Habre R (01/01/2022). Using dynamic time warping self-organizing maps to characterize diurnal patterns in environmental exposures. Sci Rep, 11, 24052.
- Martial MA, Sward KA, Morse JM, Wilson AR, Martial C, Penney DS, Nicolas E (2021). Anemia Management in Rural Haitian Children: A Mixed Methods Study. J Transcult Nurs, 32(6), 672-680.
- Li K Deng H Morrison J Habre R Franklin M (09/01/2021). W-TSS: A Wavelet-Based Algorithm for Discovering Time Series Shapelets. 21.
- Morris AH, Stagg B, Lanspa M, Orme J, Clemmer TP, Weaver LK, Thomas F, Grissom CK, Hirshberg E, East TD, Wallace CJ, Young MP, Sittig DF, Pesenti A, Bombino M, Beck E, Sward KA, Weir C, Phansalkar SS, Bernard GR, Taylor Thompson B, Brower R, Truwit JD, Steingrub J, Duncan Hite R, Willson DF, Zimmerman JJ, Nadkarni VM, Randolph A, Curley MAQ, Newth CJL, Lacroix J, Agus MSD, Lee KH, deBoisblanc BP, Scott Evans R, Sorenson DK, Wong A, Boland MV, Grainger DW, Dere WH, Crandall AS, Facelli JC, Huff SM, Haug PJ, Pielmeier U, Rees SE, Karbing DS, Andreassen S, Fan E, Goldring RM, Berger KI, Oppenheimer BW, Wesley Ely E, Gajic O, Pickering B, Schoenfeld DA, Tocino I, Gonnering RS, Pronovost PJ, Savitz LA, Dreyfuss D, Slutsky AS, Crapo JD, Angus D, Pinsky MR, James B, Berwick D (2020). Enabling a learning healthcare system with automated computer protocols that produce replicable and personalized clinician actions. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 28(6), 1330-1344.
- Guo JW, Keeshin BR, Conway M, Chapman WW, Sward KA (2021). A Scoping Review and Content Analysis of Common Depressive Symptoms of Young People. J Sch Nurs, 38, 10598405211012680.
- Yang R, Plasek JM, Cummins MR, Sward KA (2020). Predicting Falls Among Community-Dwelling Older Adults: A Demonstration of Applied Machine Learning. Comput Inform Nurs, 39(5), 273-280.
- Tiase VL, Wawrzynski SE, Sward KA, Del Fiol G, Staes C, Weir C, Cummins MR (2021). Provider Preferences for Patient-Generated Health Data Displays in Pediatric Asthma: A Participatory Design Approach. Appl Clin Inform, 12(3), 664-674.
- Tiase VL, Sward KA, Del Fiol G, Staes C, Weir C, Cummins MR (2021). Patient-Generated Health Data in Pediatric Asthma: Exploratory Study of Providers' Information Needs. JMIR Pediatr Parent, 4(1), e25413.
- Tiase V (12/22/2020). Patient-Generated Health Data In Pediatric Asthma: An Exploratory Study of Providers' Information Needs. JMIR Pediatr Parent.
- Tiase VL, Hull W, McFarland MM, Sward KA, Del Fiol G, Staes C, Weir C, Cummins MR (2020). Patient-generated health data and electronic health record integration: a scoping review. JAMIA Open, 3(4), 619-627.
- Yang R (11/16/2020). Predicting falls among community-dwelling older adults: A demonstration of applied machine learning. .
- Yang R, Wang H, Edelman LS, Tracy EL, Demiris G, Sward KA, Donaldson GW (2019). Loneliness as a mediator of the impact of social isolation on cognitive functioning of Chinese older adults. Age Ageing, 49(4), 599-604.
- Yang R (07/2020). Loneliness as a mediator of the impact of social isolation on cognitive functioning of Chinese older adults. . Age Ageing.
- Gouripeddi R (06/2020). Reproducible informatics for reproducible translational research. J Clin Transl Sci.
- Gawron LM, Sanders JN, Sward K, Poursaid AE, Simmons R, Turok DK (2019). Multi-morbidity and Highly Effective Contraception in Reproductive-Age Women in the US Intermountain West: a Retrospective Cohort Study. J Gen Intern Med, 35(3), 637-642.
- Khemani RG, Hotz JC, Sward KA, Newth CJL (2019). The role of computer-based clinical decision support systems to deliver protective mechanical ventilation. Curr Opin Crit Care, 26(1), 73-81.
- Tiase VL, Hull W, McFarland MM, Sward KA, Del Fiol G, Staes C, Weir C, Cummins MR (2019). Patient-generated health data and electronic health record integration: protocol for a scoping review. BMJ Open, 9(12), e033073.
- Tiase V (12/2019). Patient-generated health data and electronic health record integration: protocol for a scoping review. . BMJ Open, 9, e033073.
- Gawron L (11/07/2019). Multi-morbidity and Highly Effective Contraception in Reproductive-Aged Women in the U.S. Intermountain West: A Retrospective Cohort Study. . J Gen Intern Med.
- Tiase VL, Sward KA, Cummins MR (2019). Navigating the Search for Patient Generated Health Data. Stud Health Technol Inform, 264, 1992.
- Demiris G (07/2019). Patient Generated Health Data Use in Clinical Practice: A Review. Nurs Outlook, 67, 311-330.
- Luo G, Stone BL, Koebnick C, He S, Au DH, Sheng X, Murtaugh MA, Sward KA, Schatz M, Zeiger RS, Davidson GH, Nkoy FL (2019). Using Temporal Features to Provide Data-Driven Clinical Early Warnings for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Asthma Care Management: Protocol for a Secondary Analysis. JMIR Res Protoc, 8(6), e13783.
- Furlong-Dillard JM, Miller BJ, Sward KA, Neary AI, Hardin-Reynolds TL, Jeffers G, Clay BA, Truong DT, Miller TA, Jones CE, Lambert LM, Bailly DK (2019). The association between feeding protocol compliance and weight gain following high-risk neonatal cardiac surgery. Cardiol Young, 29(5), 594-601.
- Furlong-Dillard JM (05/2019). The Association between Compliance and Weight Gain When Using a Feeding Protocol in Single Ventricle Patients; a Single Center Experience.
- Demiris G, Iribarren SJ, Sward K, Lee S, Yang R (2019). Patient generated health data use in clinical practice: A systematic review. Nurs Outlook, 67(4), 311-330.
- Kalsy M, Lin JH, Bray BE, Sward KA (2018). Role of Nursing Informatics in the Automation of Pneumonia Quality Measure Data Elements. Comput Inform Nurs, 36(10), 475-483.
- Sward KA, Newth CJL, Khemani RG, Page K, Meert KL, Carcillo JA, Shanley TP, Moler FW, Pollack MM, Dalton HJ, Wessel DL, Berger JT, Berg RA, Harrison RE, Doctor A, Dean JM, Holobkov R, Jenkins TL, Nicholson CE, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute for Child Health and Human Development Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network CPCCRN (2017). Potential Acceptability of a Pediatric Ventilator Management Computer Protocol. Pediatr Crit Care Med, 18(11), 1027-1034.
- Newth CJL, Sward KA, Khemani RG, Page K, Meert KL, Carcillo JA, Shanley TP, Moler FW, Pollack MM, Dalton HJ, Wessel DL, Berger JT, Berg RA, Harrison RE, Holubkov R, Doctor A, Dean JM, Jenkins TL, Nicholson CE, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute for Child Health and Human Development Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network CPCCRN (2017). Variability in Usual Care Mechanical Ventilation for Pediatric Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: Time for a Decision Support Protocol? Pediatr Crit Care Med, 18(11), e521-e529.
- Newth CJL, Khemani RG, Jouvet PA, Sward KA (2017). Mechanical Ventilation and Decision Support in Pediatric Intensive Care. Pediatr Clin North Am, 64(5), 1057-1070.
- Newth CJL (10/2017). Mechanical ventilation & decision support in pediatric intensive care. Pediatr Clin North Am, 64, 1057-1070.
- Luo G, Sward K (2017). A Roadmap for Optimizing Asthma Care Management via Computational Approaches. JMIR Med Inform, 5(3), e32.
- Lyons AM, Sward KA, Deshmukh VG, Pett MA, Donaldson GW, Turnbull J (2015). Impact of computerized provider order entry (CPOE) on length of stay and mortality. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 24(2), 303-309.
- Hirshberg EL, Lanspa MJ, Wilson EL, Sward KA, Jephson A, Larsen GY, Morris AH (2017). A Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Bedside Computer Clinical Decision Support Protocol for Hyperglycemia Is Feasible, Safe and Offers Advantages. Diabetes Technol Ther, 19(3), 188-193.
- Hirshberg EL (03/2017). A pediatric ICU bedside computer protocol for hyperglycemia is feasible, safe, and offers advantages. 19, 188-193.
- Carcillo JA, Sward K, Halstead ES, Telford R, Jimenez-Bacardi A, Shakoory B, Simon D, Hall M, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network Investigators (2016). A Systemic Inflammation Mortality Risk Assessment Contingency Table for Severe Sepsis. Pediatr Crit Care Med, 18(2), 143-150.
- Sward KA, Newth CJL (2015). Computerized Decision Support Systems for Mechanical Ventilation in Children. J Pediatr Intensive Care, 5(3), 95-100.
- Lyons Ann (07/08/2016).
- Sward KA, Rubin S, Jenkins TL, Newth CJ, Dean JM, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development NICHD Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network CPCCRN (2017). Case Study: Semantic Annotation of a Pediatric Critical Care Research Study. Comput Inform Nurs, 34(3), 101-4.
- Sward Katherine A (03/2016).
- Frey LJ, Sward KA, Newth CJ, Khemani RG, Cryer ME, Thelen JL, Enriquez R, Shaoyu S, Pollack MM, Harrison RE, Meert KL, Berg RA, Wessel DL, Shanley TP, Dalton H, Carcillo J, Jenkins TL, Dean JM (2015). Virtualization of open-source secure web services to support data exchange in a pediatric critical care research network. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 22(6), 1271-6.
- Cummins MR, Sward K, Guo JW (2015). Leaders in Nursing Informatics Education and Research: The University of Utah Celebrates 25 Years. Comput Inform Nurs, 33(9), 379-81.
- KATHERINE A SWARD (09/2015).
- Iribarren SJ, Sward KA, Beck SL, Pearce PF, Thurston D, Chirico C (2015). Qualitative evaluation of a text messaging intervention to support patients with active tuberculosis: implementation considerations. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth, 3(1), e21.
- Guo Jia-Wen (07/2014).
- Guo JW, Sward K, Beck S, Wong B, Staggers N, Frey L (2014). Using a content analysis to identify study eligibility criteria concepts in cancer nursing research. Comput Inform Nurs, 32(7), 333-42.
- KATHERINE A SWARD (01/2014).
- Guo JW, Sward KA, Beck SL, Staggers N (2014). Quality of reporting randomized controlled trials in cancer nursing research. Nurs Res, 63(1), 26-35.
- Hirshberg E (02/2013).
- Hirshberg EL, Sward KA, Faustino EV, Nadkarni VM, Agus MS, Morris AH, Lacroix J (2013). Clinical equipoise regarding glycemic control: a survey of pediatric intensivist perceptions. Pediatr Crit Care Med, 14(2), 123-9.
- Blagev D (08/2012).
- Newth C (08/2012).
- Newth CJ, Meert KL, Clark AE, Moler FW, Zuppa AF, Berg RA, Pollack MM, Sward KA, Berger JT, Wessel DL, Harrison RE, Reardon J, Carcillo JA, Shanley TP, Holubkov R, Dean JM, Doctor A, Nicholson CE, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network (2012). Fatal and near-fatal asthma in children: the critical care perspective. J Pediatr, 161(2), 214-21.e3.
- Blagev DP, Hirshberg EL, Sward K, Thompson BT, Brower R, Truwit J, Hite D, Steingrub J, Orme JF Jr, Clemmer TP, Weaver LK, Thomas F, Grissom CK, Sorenson D, Sittig DF, Wallace CJ, East TD, Warner HR, Morris AH (2012). The evolution of eProtocols that enable reproducible clinical research and care methods. J Clin Monit Comput, 26(4), 305-17.
- Jung CY (07/2012).
- Jung CY, Sward KA, Haug PJ (2012). Executing medical logic modules expressed in ArdenML using Drools. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 19(4), 533-6.
- Khemani RG, Sward K, Morris A, Dean JM, Newth CJ, NICHD Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network CPCCRN (2011). Variability in usual care mechanical ventilation for pediatric acute lung injury: the potential benefit of a lung protective computer protocol. Intensive Care Med, 37(11), 1840-8.
- Khemani RG (10/01/2011).
- Matney S, Brewster PJ, Sward KA, Cloyes KG, Staggers N (2011). Philosophical approaches to the nursing informatics data-information-knowledge-wisdom framework. ANS Adv Nurs Sci, 34(1), 6-18.
- Sward KA, Richardson S, Kendrick J, Maloney C (2008). Use of a Web-based game to teach pediatric content to medical students. Ambul Pediatr, 8(6), 354-9.
- Sward K, Orme J Jr, Sorenson D, Baumann L, Morris AH, Reengineering Critical Care Clinical Research Investigators (2008). Reasons for declining computerized insulin protocol recommendations: application of a framework. J Biomed Inform, 41(3), 488-97.
- Sorenson D, Grissom CK, Carpenter L, Austin A, Sward K, Napoli L, Warner HR, Morris AH, Reengineering Clinical Research in Critical Care Investigators (2008). A frame-based representation for a bedside ventilator weaning protocol. J Biomed Inform, 41(3), 461-8.
- Hirshberg E, Lacroix J, Sward K, Willson D, Morris AH (2008). Blood glucose control in critically ill adults and children: a survey on stated practice. Chest, 133(6), 1328-1335.
- Thompson BT, Orme JF, Zheng H, Luckett PM, Truwit JD, Willson DF, Duncan Hite R, Brower RG, Bernard GR, Curley MA, Steingrub JS, Sorenson DK, Sward K, Hirshberg E, Morris AH, Reengineering Critical Care Clinical Research Investigators (2008). Multicenter validation of a computer-based clinical decision support tool for glucose control in adult and pediatric intensive care units. J Diabetes Sci Technol, 2(3), 357-68.
- Phansalkar S, Sward KA, Weir CR, Morris AH (2007). Mapping clinicians' perceptions about computerized protocol use to an IT implementation framework. Stud Health Technol Inform, 129(Pt 2), 1098-101.
- Thompson CB, Sward K (2005). Modeling and teaching techniques for conceptual and logical relational database design. J Med Syst, 29(5), 513-25.
- Roemer LK, Richardson SJ, Sward K, Tilley C (2005). Redundancy in a computer-generated order list: meeting the needs of nurses at various levels of practice expertise. Comput Inform Nurs, 23(2), 73-82; quiz 83-4.
- Roberts L, Sward K (2001). Birth center outcomes reported through automated technology. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs, 30(1), 110-20.
- Staggers N, Lyons A, Sward K (2000). Implementation of a new e-mail application in a health sciences center. Case study. Comput Nurs, 18(2), 59-61.
- Sward K (08/2014).
- Tiase V (11/2019). Navigating the Search for Patient Generated Health Data. . Stud Health Technol Inform, Studies in health technology and informatics, 264, 1992.
- Luo G (06/2019). Using Temporal Features to Provide Data-Driven Clinical Early Warnings: Rationale and Methods. JMIR Res Protoc, JMIR Research Protocols, 3.
- GouripeddiR (05/2019). An architecture for metadata-driven integration of heterogeneous sensor and health data for translational exposomic research. 2019 IEEE International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics (BHI) and IEE Conference on Body Sensor Networks (BSN), 2019 IEEE International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics (BHI) and IEE Conference on Body Sensor Networks (BSN)..
- Sward K (05/2019). Making the connection: Integrated sensor systems research. Proceedings of the 2019 Western Institute of Nursing (WIN) conference, Proceedings of the 2019 Western Institute of Nursing (WIN) conference.
- Moore J (11/2018). Managing in-home environments through sensing, annotating, and visualizing air quality data. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT)(Ubicomp '18), Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT)(Ubicomp '18).
- Lundrigan P (10/2018). EpiFi: An in-home IoT architecture for epidemiological deployments. EE Workshop on Practical Issues in Building Sensor Network Applications (SenseApp), 619-626, EE Workshop on Practical Issues in Building Sensor Network Applications (SenseApp), 619-626.
- Sward KA, DeVito Dabbs A (2020). The Expanding Science of Sensor Technology in Research. Nurs Outlook, 68(6), 689-692.
- Thompson CB, Sward K, Lyons A (2000). Using a relational database to support nursing research. [Letter to the editor]. Comput Nurs, 18(4), 155-6.
- Wong (11/30/2008).