Dr. Kensaku Kawamoto is Associate Chief Medical Information Officer of University of Utah Health. He is also Professor and Vice Chair of Clinical Informatics in the University of Utah Department of Biomedical Informatics. He is a Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics and a Fellow of the American Medical Informatics Association. Dr. Kawamoto was recognized as a Top 25 Innovator in health care in 2019 by Modern Healthcare.
Dr. Kawamoto earned his B.A. in biochemical sciences from Harvard University, and he earned his M.D., Ph.D. in biomedical engineering with a focus on biomedical informatics, and M.H.S. in clinical research from Duke University. At the University of Utah, Dr. Kawamoto chairs the Clinical Decision Support committee and is a co-solution architect of the enterprise Value Driven Outcomes (VDO) framework for analyzing and improving care value. Dr. Kawamoto directs the University’s ReImagine EHR initiative, which is a multi-stakeholder enterprise initiative for improving health and health care through interoperable electronic health record (EHR) innovations (https://reimagineehr.utah.edu/). The ReImagine EHR initiative has developed a number of award-winning EHR add-on apps, including a neonatal bilirubin management app that won the 2019 American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)/Health Level Seven International (HL7) FHIR Applications Showcase, a lung cancer screening shared decision making app that was a finalist in the 2020 AMIA/HL7 Showcase, and a Disease Manager application that won the 2021 AMIA/HL7 Showcase. The initiative has also helped to bring in over $35 million in external grants and contracts.
Beyond the University of Utah, Dr. Kawamoto is a member of the U.S. Health IT Advisory Committee (HITAC), which provides guidance to the U.S. Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT on policies, standards, implementation specifications, and certification criteria related to health information technology. In this capacity, he also co-chaired the federal Interoperability Standards Priorities Task Force, whose charge is to recommend priority uses of health IT and the associated standards and implementation specifications.
Dr. Kawamoto co-chairs the Clinical Decision Support Work Group of HL7, the primary standards development organization in health IT. He is also a past board member of HL7 and served as Initiative Coordinator for the U.S. Health eDecisions and Clinical Quality Framework initiatives for developing and validating interoperability standards for clinical decision support and clinical quality measurement. Dr. Kawamoto founded and directs OpenCDS (http://www.opencds.org), which is a multi-institutional initiative to enable advanced, standards-based, and open-source clinical decision support at scale.
Dr. Kawamoto is a member of the Huntsman Cancer Institute Cancer Control and Population Science Program, and he is engaged in a number of projects aimed at cancer prevention. Dr. Kawamoto is the PI or co-PI on a number of grants sponsored by the federal government and industry, including from the National Cancer Institute, the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and Hitachi Ltd. Dr. Kawamoto is also the author or co-author of over 100 peer-reviewed journal articles and conference proceedings and 10 book chapters.
“I believe one of the greatest challenges facing our nation is how to provide high-quality health care at a cost affordable by society. It is truly gratifying to work with talented colleagues from across the University and beyond to address this grand challenge of our times, with clinical informatics serving as a core enabler for the types of fundamental changes required to realize the vision of high-quality, high-value health care.”
Duke University Allied Health Graduate Program
Duke University Graduate School
Duke University School of Medicine
- Schlechter CR, Reese TJ, Wirth J, Gibson B, Kawamoto K, Siaperas T, Pruhs A, Dinkins CP, Zhang Y, Friedrichs M, George S, Lam CY, Pierce JH, Borsato EP, Cornia RC, Stevens L, Martinez A, Bradshaw RL, Kaphingst KA, Hess R, Del Fiol G, Wetter DW (2024). Rapid-cycle designs to adapt interventions for COVID-19 in safety-net healthcare systems. Transl Behav Med, 13(6), 389-399.
- Kukhareva PV, Li H, Caverly TJ, Del Fiol G, Fagerlin A, Butler JM, Hess R, Zhang Y, Taft T, Flynn MC, Reddy C, Martin DK, Warner IA, Rodriguez-Loya S, Warner PB, Kawamoto K (2023). Implementation of Lung Cancer Screening in Primary Care and Pulmonary Clinics: Pragmatic Clinical Trial of Electronic Health Record-Integrated Everyday Shared Decision-Making Tool and Clinician-Facing Prompts. Chest.
- Stagg BC, Tullis B, Asare A, Stein JD, Medeiros FA, Weir C, Borbolla D, Hess R, Kawamoto K (2023). Systematic User-centered Design of a Prototype Clinical Decision Support System for Glaucoma. Ophthalmol Sci, 3(3), 100279.
- Liebermann E, Taber P, Vega AS, Daly BM, Goodman MS, Bradshaw R, Chan PA, Chavez-Yenter D, Hess R, Kessler C, Kohlmann W, Low S, Monahan R, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Buys SS, Sigireddi M, Ginsburg O, Kaphingst KA (2022). Barriers to family history collection among Spanish-speaking primary care patients: a BRIDGE qualitative study. PEC Innov, 1.
- Lario R, Kawamoto K, Sottara D, Eilbeck K, Huff S, Del Fiol G, Soley R, Middleton B (2022). A method for structuring complex clinical knowledge and its representational formalisms to support composite knowledge interoperability in healthcare. J Biomed Inform, 137, 104251.
- Gomez Lumbreras A, Reese TJ, Del Fiol G, Tan MS, Butler JM, Hurwitz JT, Brown M, Kawamoto K, Thiess H, Wright M, Malone DC (2022). Shared Decision-Making for Drug-Drug Interactions: Formative Evaluation of an Anticoagulant Drug Interaction. JMIR Form Res, 6(10), e40018.
- Chavez-Yenter D, Goodman MS, Chen Y, Chu X, Bradshaw RL, Lorenz Chambers R, Chan PA, Daly BM, Flynn M, Gammon A, Hess R, Kessler C, Kohlmann WK, Mann DM, Monahan R, Peel S, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Sigireddi M, Buys SS, Ginsburg O, Kaphingst KA (2022). Association of Disparities in Family History and Family Cancer History in the Electronic Health Record With Sex, Race, Hispanic or Latino Ethnicity, and Language Preference in 2 Large US Health Care Systems. JAMA Netw Open, 5(10), e2234574.
- Shi J, Morgan KL, Bradshaw RL, Jung SH, Kohlmann W, Kaphingst KA, Kawamoto K, Fiol GD (2022). Identifying Patients Who Meet Criteria for Genetic Testing of Hereditary Cancers Based on Structured and Unstructured Family Health History Data in the Electronic Health Record: Natural Language Processing Approach. JMIR Med Inform, 10(8), e37842.
- Kukhareva P, Caverly T, Kawamoto K (2022). Re: Inaccuracies in electronic health records smoking data and a potential approach to address resulting underestimation in determining lung cancer screening eligibility. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 29(9), 1655.
- Morgan KL, Kukhareva PV, Warner PB, Wilkof J, Snyder M, Horton D, Madsen T, Habboushe J, Kawamoto K (2022). Using CDS Hooks to increase SMART on FHIR app utilization: a cluster-randomized trial. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 29(9), 1461-1470.
- Stagg BC, Stein JD, Medeiros FA, Horns J, Hartnett ME, Kawamoto K, Hess R (2022). The frequency of visual field testing in a US nationwide cohort of individuals with open angle glaucoma. Ophthalmol Glaucoma, 5(6), 587-593.
- Wiley K, Findley L, Goldrich M, Rakhra-Burris TK, Stevens A, Williams P, Bult CJ, Chisholm R, Deverka P, Ginsburg GS, Green ED, Jarvik G, Mensah GA, Ramos E, Relling MV, Roden DM, Rowley R, Alterovitz G, Aronson S, Bastarache L, Cimino JJ, Crowgey EL, Del Fiol G, Freimuth RR, Hoffman MA, Jeff J, Johnson K, Kawamoto K, Madhavan S, Mendonca EA, Ohno-Machado L, Pratap S, Taylor CO, Ritchie MD, Walton N, Weng C, Zayas-Cabn T, Manolio TA, Williams MS (2022). A research agenda to support the development and implementation of genomics-based clinical informatics tools and resources. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 29, 1342-1349.
- Kukhareva PV, Caverly TJ, Li H, Katki HA, Cheung LC, Reese TJ, Del Fiol G, Hess R, Wetter DW, Zhang Y, Taft TY, Flynn MC, Kawamoto K (2021). Inaccuracies in electronic health records smoking data and a potential approach to address resulting underestimation in determining lung cancer screening eligibility. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 29(5), 779-788.
- Bradshaw RL, Kawamoto K, Kaphingst KA, Kohlmann WK, Hess R, Flynn MC, Nanjo CJ, Warner PB, Shi J, Morgan K, Kimball K, Ranade-Kharkar P, Ginsburg O, Goodman M, Chambers R, Mann D, Narus SP, Gonzalez J, Loomis S, Chan P, Monahan R, Borsato EP, Shields DE, Martin DK, Kessler CM, Del Fiol G (2021). GARDE: a standards-based clinical decision support platform for identifying population health management cohorts. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 29(5), 928-936.
- Thiess H, Del Fiol G, Malone DC, Cornia R, Sibilla M, Rhodes B, Boyce RD, Kawamoto K, Reese T (2022). Coordinated use of Health Level 7 standards to support clinical decision support: Case study with shared decision making and drug-drug interactions. Int J Med Inform, 162, 104749.
- Kukhareva PV, Weir C, Del Fiol G, Aarons GA, Taft TY, Schlechter CR, Reese TJ, Curran RL, Nanjo C, Borbolla D, Staes CJ, Morgan KL, Kramer HS, Stipelman CH, Shakib JH, Flynn MC, Kawamoto K (2022). Evaluation in Life Cycle of Information Technology (ELICIT) framework: Supporting the innovation life cycle from business case assessment to summative evaluation. J Biomed Inform, 127, 104014.
- Reese T, Wright A, Liu S, Boyce R, Romero A, Del Fiol G, Kawamoto K, Malone D (2022). Improving the specificity of drug-drug interaction alerts: Can it be done? Am J Health Syst Pharm, 79, 1086-1095.
- Willis C, Watanabe AH, Hughes J, Nolen K, OMeara J, Schepart A, Bruno M, Biskupiak J, Kawamoto K, Shara N, Kannampallil T (2022). Applying diagnosis support systems in electronic health records to identify wild-type transthyretin amyloid cardiomyopathy risk. Future Cardiol, 18, 367-376.
- Tarumi S, Takeuchi W, Qi R, Ning X, Ruppert L, Ban H, Robertson DH, Schleyer TK, Kawamoto K (2022). Predicting pharmacotherapeutic outcomes for type 2 diabetes: An evaluation of three approaches to leveraging electronic health record data from multiple sources. J Biomed Inform, 129, 104001.
- Liu S, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Weir C, Malone DC, Reese TJ, Morgan K, ElHalta D, Abdelrahman S (2022). The potential for leveraging machine learning to filter medication alerts. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 29, 891-899.
- Chavez-Yenter D, Kimball KE, Kohlmann W, Lorenz Chambers R, Bradshaw RL, Espinel WF, Flynn M, Gammon A, Goldberg E, Hagerty KJ, Hess R, Kessler C, Monahan R, Temares D, Tobik K, Mann DM, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Buys SS, Ginsburg O, Kaphingst KA (2021). Patient Interactions With an Automated Conversational Agent Delivering Pretest Genetics Education: Descriptive Study. J Med Internet Res, 23(11), e29447.
- Bahr TM, Shakib JH, Stipelman CH, Kawamoto K, Lauer S, Christensen RD (2021). Improvement Initiative: End-Tidal Carbon Monoxide Measurement in Newborns Receiving Phototherapy. J Pediatr, 238, 168-173.e2.
- Reese TJ, Del Fiol G, Morgan K, Hurwitz JT, Kawamoto K, Gomez-Lumbreras A, Brown ML, Thiess H, Vazquez SR, Nelson SD, Boyce R, Malone D (2021). A Shared Decision-making Tool for Drug Interactions Between Warfarin and Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs: Design and Usability Study. JMIR Hum Factors, 8(4), e28618.
- Schlechter CR, Del Fiol G, Lam CY, Fernandez ME, Greene T, Yack M, Schulthies S, Nelson M, Bohner C, Pruhs A, Siaperas T, Kawamoto K, Gibson B, Nahum-Shani I, Walker TJ, Wetter DW (2021). Application of community - engaged dissemination and implementation science to improve health equity. Prev Med Rep, 24, 101620.
- Liu S, Reese TJ, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Weir C (2021). A theory-based meta-regression of factors influencing clinical decision support adoption and implementation. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 28(11), 2514-2522.
- Hunt TC, Ambrose JP, Haaland B, Kawamoto K, Dechet CB, Lowrance WT, Hanson HA, ONeil BB (2021). Decision fatigue in low-value prostate cancer screening. Cancer, 127(18), 3343-3353.
- Reese TJ, Schlechter CR, Kramer H, Kukhareva P, Weir CR, Del Fiol G, Caverly T, Hess R, Flynn MC, Taft T, Kawamoto K (2021). Implementing lung cancer screening in primary care: needs assessment and implementation strategy design. Transl Behav Med, 12, 187-197.
- Kawamoto K, Kukhareva PV, Weir C, Flynn MC, Nanjo CJ, Martin DK, Warner PB, Shields DE, Rodriguez-Loya S, Bradshaw RL, Cornia RC, Reese TJ, Kramer HS, Taft T, Curran RL, Morgan KL, Borbolla D, Hightower M, Turnbull WJ, Strong MB, Chapman WW, Gregory T, Stipelman CH, Shakib JH, Hess R, Boltax JP, Habboushe JP, Sakaguchi F, Turner KM, Narus SP, Tarumi S, Takeuchi W, Ban H, Wetter DW, Lam C, Caverly TJ, Fagerlin A, Norlin C, Malone DC, Kaphingst KA, Kohlmann WK, Brooke BS, Del Fiol G (2021). Establishing a multidisciplinary initiative for interoperable electronic health record innovations at an academic medical center. JAMIA Open, 4(3), ooab041.
- Kaphingst KA, Kohlmann W, Chambers RL, Goodman MS, Bradshaw R, Chan PA, Chavez-Yenter D, Colonna SV, Espinel WF, Everett JN, Gammon A, Goldberg ER, Gonzalez J, Hagerty KJ, Hess R, Kehoe K, Kessler C, Kimball KE, Loomis S, Martinez TR, Monahan R, Schiffman JD, Temares D, Tobik K, Wetter DW, Mann DM, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Buys SS, Ginsburg O, BRIDGE research team (2021). Comparing models of delivery for cancer genetics services among patients receiving primary care who meet criteria for genetic evaluation in two healthcare systems: BRIDGE randomized controlled trial. BMC Health Serv Res, 21(1), 542.
- Stagg B, Mariottoni EB, Berchuck S, Jammal A, Elam AR, Hess R, Kawamoto K, Haaland B, Medeiros FA (2021). Longitudinal visual field variability and the ability to detect glaucoma progression in black and white individuals. Br J Ophthalmol, 106, 1115-1120.
- Tarumi S, Takeuchi W, Chalkidis G, Rodriguez-Loya S, Kuwata J, Flynn M, Turner KM, Sakaguchi FH, Weir C, Kramer H, Shields DE, Warner PB, Kukhareva P, Ban H, Kawamoto K (2021). Leveraging Artificial Intelligence to Improve Chronic Disease Care: Methods and Application to Pharmacotherapy Decision Support for Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus. Methods Inf Med, 60(S 01), e32-e43.
- Metcalf RA, Goodfellow J, Cail K, Blaylock R, Kawamoto K, Enniss T, Galaviz C, Lim M, Reddy S, Sharma V, Wanner N (2021). Electronic clinical decision support: Evidence that default settings influence end-user behavior. Transfusion, 61(3), 669-670.
- Stagg B, Stein JD, Medeiros FA, Cummins M, Kawamoto K, Hess R (2021). Interests and needs of eye care providers in clinical decision support for glaucoma. BMJ Open Ophthalmol, 6(1), e000639.
- Reese TJ, Schlechter CR, Potter LN, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Lam CY, Wetter DW (2021). Evaluation of Revised US Preventive Services Task Force Lung Cancer Screening Guideline Among Women and Racial/Ethnic Minority Populations. JAMA Netw Open, 4(1), e2033769.
- Stagg BC, Gupta D, Ehrlich JR, Newman-Casey PA, Stein JD, Kawamoto K, Hess R (2020). The Use of eHealth Practices by United States Patients with Self-Reported Glaucoma. Ophthalmol Glaucoma, 4(1), 71-77.
- Morid MA, Sheng ORL, Kawamoto K, Abdelrahman S (2020). Learning hidden patterns from patient multivariate time series data using convolutional neural networks: A case study of healthcare cost prediction. J Biomed Inform, 111, 103565.
- Ciarkowski CE, Timbrook TT, Kukhareva PV, Edholm KM, Hatton ND, Hopkins CL, Thomas F, Sanford MN, Igumnova E, Benefield RJ, Kawamoto K, Spivak ES (2020). A Pathway for Community-Acquired Pneumonia With Rapid Conversion to Oral Therapy Improves Health Care Value. Open Forum Infect Dis, 7(11), ofaa497.
- Taber P, Ghani P, Schiffman JD, Kohlmann W, Hess R, Chidambaram V, Kawamoto K, Waller RG, Borbolla D, Del Fiol G, Weir C (2020). Physicians' strategies for using family history data: having the data is not the same as using the data. JAMIA Open, 3(3), 378-385.
- Stagg BC, Gupta D, Ehrlich JR, Newman-Casey PA, Stein JD, Kawamoto K, Hess R (2021). Evaluation for Disparities in Experience With Internet-Based Health Care Among US Patients With Chronic Eye Diseases. JAMA Ophthalmol, 138(10), 1097-1099.
- Edholm K, Lapp K, Kukhareva P, Hopkins C, Hatton ND, Gebhart B, Nyman H, Signor E, Davis M, Kawamoto K, Johnson SA (2020). Reducing Diabetic Ketoacidosis Intensive Care Unit Admissions Through an Electronic Health Record-Driven, Standardized Care Pathway. J Healthc Qual, 42(5), e66-e74.
- Reese TJ, Segall N, Del Fiol G, Tonna JE, Kawamoto K, Weir C, Wright MC (2020). Iterative heuristic design of temporal graphic displays with clinical domain experts. J Clin Monit Comput, 35(5), 1119-1131.
- Reese TJ, Del Fiol G, Tonna JE, Kawamoto K, Segall N, Weir C, Macpherson BC, Kukhareva P, Wright MC (2020). Impact of integrated graphical display on expert and novice diagnostic performance in critical care. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 27(8), 1287-1292.
- Curran RL, Kukhareva PV, Taft T, Weir CR, Reese TJ, Nanjo C, Rodriguez-Loya S, Martin DK, Warner PB, Shields DE, Flynn MC, Boltax JP, Kawamoto K (2020). Integrated displays to improve chronic disease management in ambulatory care: A SMART on FHIR application informed by mixed-methods user testing. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 27(8), 1225-1234.
- Karhade AV, Schwab JH, Del Fiol G, Kawamoto K (2020). SMART on FHIR in spine: integrating clinical prediction models into electronic health records for precision medicine at the point of care. Spine J, 21(10), 1649-1651.
- Kawamoto K, McDonald CJ (2020). Designing, Conducting, and Reporting Clinical Decision Support Studies: Recommendations and Call to Action. Ann Intern Med, 172(11 Suppl), S101-S109.
- Oswald N, Lin T, Haaland B, Flynn M, Kawamoto K, Cooney KA, Lowrance W, Hanson HA, ONeil B (2020). Factors associated with appropriate and low-value PSA testing. Cancer Epidemiol, 66, 101724.
- Hanauer DA, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Beno MF, Del Fiol G, Durbin EB, Gologorskaya O, Harris D, Harnett B, Kawamoto K, May B, Meeks E, Pfaff E, Weiss J, Zheng K (2020). Electronic Medical Record Search Engine (EMERSE): An Information Retrieval Tool for Supporting Cancer Research. JCO Clin Cancer Inform, 4, 454-463.
- Horton DJ, Graves KK, Kukhareva PV, Johnson SA, Cedillo M, Sanford M, Dunson WA Jr, White M, Roach D, Arego JJ, Kawamoto K (2020). Modified early warning score-based clinical decision support: cost impact and clinical outcomes in sepsis. JAMIA Open, 3(2), 261-268.
- Richesson RL, Staes CJ, Douthit BJ, Thoureen T, Hatch DJ, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G (2019). Measuring implementation feasibility of clinical decision support alerts for clinical practice recommendations. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 27(4), 514-521.
- Fernandez ME, Schlechter CR, Del Fiol G, Gibson B, Kawamoto K, Siaperas T, Pruhs A, Greene T, Nahum-Shani I, Schulthies S, Nelson M, Bohner C, Kramer H, Borbolla D, Austin S, Weir C, Walker TW, Lam CY, Wetter DW (2020). QuitSMART Utah: an implementation study protocol for a cluster-randomized, multi-level Sequential Multiple Assignment Randomized Trial to increase Reach and Impact of tobacco cessation treatment in Community Health Centers. Implement Sci, 15(1), 9.
- Del Fiol G, Kohlmann W, Bradshaw RL, Weir CR, Flynn M, Hess R, Schiffman JD, Nanjo C, Kawamoto K (2020). Standards-Based Clinical Decision Support Platform to Manage Patients Who Meet Guideline-Based Criteria for Genetic Evaluation of Familial Cancer. JCO Clin Cancer Inform, 4, 1-9.
- Bahr TM, Shakib JH, Stipelman CH, Kawamoto K, Cail K, Lauer S, Christensen RD (2020). Improving the Bilirubin Management Program in the Newborn Nursery: Background, Aims, and Protocol. Neonatology, 117(3), 358-364.
- Kawamoto K, Kukhareva P, Shakib JH, Kramer H, Rodriguez S, Warner PB, Shields D, Weir C, Del Fiol G, Taft T, Stipelman CH (2019). Association of an Electronic Health Record Add-on App for Neonatal Bilirubin Management With Physician Efficiency and Care Quality. JAMA Netw Open, 2(11), e1915343.
- Norton JM, Ali K, Jurkovitz CT, Kiryluk K, Park M, Kawamoto K, Shang N, Navaneethan SD, Narva AS, Drawz P (2019). Development and Validation of a Pragmatic Electronic Phenotype for CKD. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, 14(9), 1306-1314.
- Stipelman CH, Smith ER, Diaz-Ochu M, Spackman J, Stoddard G, Kawamoto K, Shakib JH (2019). Early-Onset Sepsis Risk Calculator Integration Into an Electronic Health Record in the Nursery. Pediatrics, 144(2).
- Marcial LH, Richardson JE, Lasater B, Middleton B, Osheroff JA, Kawamoto K, Ancker JS, van Leeuwen D, Lomotan EA, Al-Showk S, Blumenfeld BH (2018). The Imperative for Patient-Centered Clinical Decision Support. EGEMS (Wash DC), 6(1), 12.
- Welch BM, Eilbeck K, Del Fiol G, Meyer LJ, Kawamoto K (2014). Technical desiderata for the integration of genomic data with clinical decision support. J Biomed Inform, 51, 3-7.
- Welch BM, Loya SR, Eilbeck K, Kawamoto K (2014). A proposed clinical decision support architecture capable of supporting whole genome sequence information. J Pers Med, 4(2), 176-99.
- Zhang D, Sanchez-Fueyo A, Kawamoto K, Alexopoulos SP, Zhang W, Zheng XX (2010). Th1 to Th2 immune deviation facilitates, but does not cause, islet allograft tolerance in mice. Cytokine, 51(3), 311-9.
- Drew RH, Kawamoto K, Adams MB (2006). Information technology for optimizing the management of infectious diseases. Am J Health Syst Pharm, 63(10), 957-65.
- Ferranti JM, Musser RC, Kawamoto K, Hammond WE (2006). The clinical document architecture and the continuity of care record: a critical analysis. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 13(3), 245-52.
- Taber P, Armin JS, Orozco G, Del Fiol G, Erdrich J, Kawamoto K, Israni ST (2023). Artificial Intelligence and Cancer Control: Toward Prioritizing Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) in Emerging Decision Support Technologies. [Review]. Curr Oncol Rep.
- Stipelman CH, Kukhareva PV, Trepman E, Nguyen QT, Valdez L, Kenost C, Hightower M, Kawamoto K (2022). Electronic Health Record-Integrated Clinical Decision Support for Clinicians Serving Populations Facing Health Care Disparities: Literature Review. [Review]. Yearb Med Inform, 31(1), 184-198.
- Taber P, Radloff C, Del Fiol G, Staes C, Kawamoto K (2021). New Standards for Clinical Decision Support: A Survey of The State of Implementation. [Review]. Yearb Med Inform, 30(1), 159-171.
- Strasberg HR, Rhodes B, Del Fiol G, Jenders RA, Haug PJ, Kawamoto K (2021). Contemporary clinical decision support standards using Health Level Seven International Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources. [Review]. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 28(8), 1796-1806.
- Liu S, Reese TJ, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Weir C (2021). A systematic review of theoretical constructs in CDS literature. [Review]. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak, 21(1), 102.
- Welch BM, Kawamoto K (2012). Clinical decision support for genetically guided personalized medicine: a systematic review. [Review]. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 20(2), 388-400.
- Marcial LH, Blumenfeld B, Harle C, Jing X, Keller MS, Lee V, Lin Z, Dover A, Midboe AM, Al-Showk S, Bradley V, Breen J, Fadden M, Lomotan E, Marco-Ruiz L, Mohamed R, OConnor P, Rosendale D, Solomon H, Kawamoto K (2020). Barriers, Facilitators, and Potential Solutions to Advancing Interoperable Clinical Decision Support: Multi-Stakeholder Consensus Recommendations for the Opioid Use Case. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, United States, 2019, 637-646.
- Stagg BC, Stein JD, Medeiros FA, Wirostko B, Crandall A, Hartnett ME, Cummins M, Morris A, Hess R, Kawamoto K (2020). Special Commentary: Using Clinical Decision Support Systems to Bring Predictive Models to the Glaucoma Clinic. Ophthalmol Glaucoma, 4(1), 5-9.
- Kawamoto K, Finkelstein J, Del Fiol G (2023). Implementing Machine Learning in the Electronic Health Record: Checklist of Essential Considerations. Mayo Clin Proc, 98(3), 366-369.
- Abedin Z, Hoerner R, Habboushe J, Lu Y, Kawamoto K, Warner PB, Shields DE, Shah RU (2020). Implementation of a Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources-Based Clinical Decision Support Tool for Calculating CHA2DS2-VASc Scores. [Letter to the editor]. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes, 13(2), e006286.