Mario Capecchi, PhD, is a professor in the Department of Human Genetics and adjunct professor in the Department of Oncological Sciences at the University of Utah. He is an active participant in the Sarcoma Services Program at Huntsman Cancer Institute, and member of the Nuclear Control of Cell Growth and Differentiation Program.
Capecchi studies cancer models (experimental versions of cancer) recreated in mice. In 2007, Capecchi was awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine/Physiology for his contributions to the development of "mouse knockout technology." He has a particular interest in the study of sarcomas and focuses on unraveling the function of Hox, associated with cancer.
Capecchi received a bachelor's degree from Antioch College, Ohio, and a PhD from Harvard University, Massachusetts.
- Van Deren DA, De S, Xu B, Eschenbacher KM, Zhang S, Capecchi MR (2022). Defining the Hoxb8 cell lineage during murine definitive hematopoiesis. Development, 149(8).
- Capecchi MR (2021). The origin and evolution of gene targeting. Dev Biol, 481, 179-187.
- Trnkner D, Boulet A, Peden E, Focht R, Van Deren D, Capecchi M (2019). A Microglia Sublineage Protects from Sex-Linked Anxiety Symptoms and Obsessive Compulsion. Cell Rep, 29(4), 791-799.e3.
- Nagarajan N, Jones BW, West PJ, Marc RE, Capecchi MR (2017). Corticostriatal circuit defects in Hoxb8 mutant mice. Mol Psychiatry, 23(9), 1868-1877.
- Jones KB, Barrott JJ, Xie M, Haldar M, Jin H, Zhu JF, Monument MJ, Mosbruger TL, Langer EM, Randall RL, Wilson RK, Cairns BR, Ding L, Capecchi MR (2016). The impact of chromosomal translocation locus and fusion oncogene coding sequence in synovial sarcomagenesis. Oncogene, 35(38), 5021-32.
- Pozner A, Xu B, Palumbos S, Gee JM, Tvrdik P, Capecchi MR (2015). Intracellular calcium dynamics in cortical microglia responding to focal laser injury in the PC::G5-tdT reporter mouse. Front Mol Neurosci, 8, 12.
- Jones KB, Su L, Jin H, Lenz C, Randall RL, Underhill TM, Nielsen TO, Sharma S, Capecchi MR (2013). SS18-SSX2 and the mitochondrial apoptosis pathway in mouse and human synovial sarcomas. Oncogene, 32(18), 2365-71, 2375.e1-5.
- Jones KB, Datar M, Ravichandran S, Jin H, Jurrus E, Whitaker R, Capecchi MR (2012). Toward an understanding of the short bone phenotype associated with multiple osteochondromas. J Orthop Res, 31(4), 651-7.
- Straessler KM, Jones KB, Hu H, Jin H, van de Rijn M, Capecchi MR (2012). Modeling clear cell sarcomagenesis in the mouse: cell of origin differentiation state impacts tumor characteristics. Cancer Cell, 23(2), 215-27.
- Makki N, Capecchi MR (2012). Cardiovascular defects in a mouse model of HOXA1 syndrome. Hum Mol Genet, 21(1), 26-31.
- Makki N, Capecchi MR (2011). Identification of novel Hoxa1 downstream targets regulating hindbrain, neural crest and inner ear development. Dev Biol, 357(2), 295-304.
- Angus-Hill ML, Elbert KM, Hidalgo J, Capecchi MR (2011). T-cell factor 4 functions as a tumor suppressor whose disruption modulates colon cell proliferation and tumorigenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 108(12), 4914-9.
- Chen SK, Tvrdik P, Peden E, Cho S, Wu S, Spangrude G, Capecchi MR (2010). Hematopoietic origin of pathological grooming in Hoxb8 mutant mice. Cell, 141(5), 775-85.
- Makki N, Capecchi MR (2010). Hoxa1 lineage tracing indicates a direct role for Hoxa1 in the development of the inner ear, the heart, and the third rhombomere. Dev Biol, 341(2), 499-509.
- Sangiorgi E, Capecchi MR (2009). Bmi1 lineage tracing identifies a self-renewing pancreatic acinar cell subpopulation capable of maintaining pancreatic organ homeostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 106(17), 7101-6.
- Haldar M, Hedberg ML, Hockin MF, Capecchi MR (2009). A CreER-based random induction strategy for modeling translocation-associated sarcomas in mice. Cancer Res, 69(8), 3657-64.
- Haldar M, Karan G, Watanabe S, Guenther S, Braun T, Capecchi MR (2014). Response: Contributions of the Myf5-independent lineage to myogenesis. [Letter to the editor]. Dev Cell, 31(5), 539-41.
- Nam HS, Capecchi MR (2020). Lrig1 expression prospectively identifies stem cells in the ventricular-subventricular zone that are neurogenic throughout adult life. Neural Dev (15(1), p. 3). England.
- Trnkner D, Boulet A, Peden E, Focht R, Van Deren D, Capecchi M (2019). A Microglia Sublineage Protects from Sex-Linked Anxiety Symptoms and Obsessive Compulsion. Cell Rep (29(4), pp. 791-799.e3). United States.
- Nagarajan N, Jones BW, West PJ, Marc RE, Capecchi MR (2017). Corticostriatal circuit defects in Hoxb8 mutant mice. Mol Psychiatry (23(9), pp. 1868-1877). England.
- Carroll LS, Capecchi MR (2015). Hoxc8 initiates an ectopic mammary program by regulating Fgf10 and Tbx3 expression and Wnt/β-catenin signaling. Development (142(23), pp. 4056-67). England.
- Wu S, Wu Y, Zhang X, Capecchi MR (2014). Efficient germ-line transmission obtained with transgene-free induced pluripotent stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A (111(29), pp. 10678-83). United States.
- Jones KB, Su L, Jin H, Lenz C, Randall RL, Underhill TM, Nielsen TO, Sharma S, Capecchi MR (2012). SS18-SSX2 and the mitochondrial apoptosis pathway in mouse and human synovial sarcomas. Oncogene (32(18), pp. 2365-71, 2375.e1-5). England.