Mark Kushnir, PhD, is Scientific Director of Mass Spectrometry R&D at ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology (Salt Lake City, Utah) and an Adjunct Associate Professor at the Department of Pathology of the University of Utah. Dr. Kushnir received PhD in Analytical Chemistry from Uppsala University (Uppsala, Sweden). His main areas of research include development, application and clinical evaluation of novel mass spectrometry based clinical diagnostic methods for protein, peptide and small molecule biomarkers; application of the methods in routine clinical diagnostic use, and clinical evaluation of biomarkers of metabolic, endocrine and neurologic diseases. Dr Kushnir developed and implemented in routine diagnostic use over 30 novel mass spectrometry-based clinical diagnostic tests for disease biomarkers (endocrine and metabolic diseases, cancer biomarkers, toxicology), and participated in over 20 clinical and epidemiological studies. Dr Kushnir is author/coauthor of over 100 scientific peer reviewed publications, eight book chapters, and inventor of 12 patents. He is member of Editorial Board of the Journals ‘Clinical Mass Spectrometry’, ‘Disease Markers’, ‘Steroids and Hormonal Science’ and ‘Laboratory and Precision Medicine’.
- Smy L, Kushnir MM, Frank EL (2021 - In Press). High Sensitivity LC-MS/MS method for measurement of 3-methoxytyramine in plasma and correlations with samples positive for metanephrines and dopamine. Journal Clinical Mass spectrometry. (Epub ahead of print) Clin Mass Spectrom.
- Kushnir MM, Michno W, Rockwood AL, Blennow K, Strathmann FG, Hanrieder J (2019). Association of PTHrP Levels in CSF with Alzheimer's Disease Biomarkers. Clin Mass Spectrom, 2019(14), 124-9.
- Kushnir MM, Petersen LK, Strathmann FG (2020). Parathyroid Hormone Related Protein (PTHrP) in Cerebrospinal Fluid in Health and Disease. 2020(43), 16-18.
- Penell JC, Kushnir MM, Lind L, Bergquist J, Bergquist J, Lind PM, Naessen T (2021). Concentrations of nine endogenous steroid hormones in 70-year-old men and women. Endocr Connect, 10(5), 511-520.
- Kushnir MM, Song B, Yang E, Frank EL (2020). Development and Clinical Evaluation of a High-Throughput LC-MS/MS Assay for Vitamin B6 in Human Plasma and Serum. J Appl Lab Med, 6(3), 702-714.
- Sprndly-Nees E, Boberg J, Ekstedt E, Holm L, Fakhrzadeh A, Dunder L, Kushnir MM, Lejonklou MH, Lind PM (2018). Low-dose exposure to Bisphenol A during development has limited effects on male reproduction in midpubertal and aging Fischer 344 rats. Reprod Toxicol, 81, 196-206.
- Kushnir MM, Peterson LK, Strathmann FG (2017). Parathyroid hormone related protein concentration in human serum and CSF correlates with age. Clin Biochem, 52, 56-60.
- Lennartsson AK, Theorell T, Kushnir MM, Jonsdottir IH (2016). Changes in DHEA-s levels during the first year of treatment in patients with clinical burnout are related to health development. Biol Psychol, 120, 28-34.
- Kushnir MM, Rockwood AL, Strathmann FG, Frank EL, Straseski JA, Meikle AW (2015). LC-MS/MS Measurement of Parathyroid Hormone-Related Peptide. Clin Chem, 62(1), 218-26.
- Caanen MR, Kuijper EA, Hompes PG, Kushnir MM, Rockwood AL, Meikle WA, Homburg R, Lambalk CB (2015). Mass spectrometry methods measured androgen and estrogen concentrations during pregnancy and in newborns of mothers with polycystic ovary syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol, 174(1), 25-32.
- Kushnir MM, Nelson GJ, Frank EL, Rockwood AL (2015). High-Throughput Analysis of Methylmalonic Acid in Serum, Plasma, and Urine by LC-MS/MS. Method for Analyzing Isomers Without Chromatographic Separation. Methods Mol Biol, 1378, 159-73.
- Escobar H, Kushnir MM, Rockwood AL, Meikle AW (2015). High Sensitivity Measurement of Pancreatic Polypeptide and Its Variant in Serum and Plasma by LC-MS/MS. Methods Mol Biol, 1378, 199-210.
- Hoofnagle AN, Whiteaker JR, Carr SA, Kuhn E, Liu T, Massoni SA, Thomas SN, Townsend RR, Zimmerman LJ, Boja E, Chen J, Crimmins DL, Davies SR, Gao Y, Hiltke TR, Ketchum KA, Kinsinger CR, Mesri M, Meyer MR, Qian WJ, Schoenherr RM, Scott MG, Shi T, Whiteley GR, Wrobel JA, Wu C, Ackermann BL, Aebersold R, Barnidge DR, Bunk DM, Clarke N, Fishman JB, Grant RP, Kusebauch U, Kushnir MM, Lowenthal MS, Moritz RL, Neubert H, Patterson SD, Rockwood AL, Rogers J, Singh RJ, Van Eyk JE, Wong SH, Zhang S, Chan DW, Chen X, Ellis MJ, Liebler DC, Rodland KD, Rodriguez H, Smith RD, Zhang Z, Zhang H, Paulovich AG (2016). Recommendations for the Generation, Quantification, Storage, and Handling of Peptides Used for Mass Spectrometry-Based Assays. Clin Chem, 62(1), 48-69.
- Bttler RM, Martens F, Fanelli F, Pham HT, Kushnir MM, Janssen MJ, Owen L, Taylor AE, Soeborg T, Blankenstein MA, Heijboer AC (2015). Comparison of 7 Published LC-MS/MS Methods for the Simultaneous Measurement of Testosterone, Androstenedione, and Dehydroepiandrosterone in Serum. Clin Chem, 61(12), 1475-83.