Dr. Fluchel received his medical degree from Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, completed his Pediatric residency at Seattle Children´s Hospital, and his Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Fellowship at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
He joined the faculty of the University of Utah in 2007, where he is currently an Associate Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology
Dr. Fluchel’s clinical interests include the treatment of all pediatric cancers and hematologic disorders, with an emphasis on neuroblastoma, hepatoblastoma, nephroblastoma, germ cell tumors, and the histiocytic disorders.
His primary research focuses on assessing the burden of care for families of pediatric oncology patients and developing methods to better serve patients from rural, immigrant and underserved communities. His research also includes studies designed to help physicians better understand the histiocytic disorders of Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis (LCH) and Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH).
University of Utah
University of Utah
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Seattle Children's Hospital
Seattle Children's Hospital
- Scott Short, Mark Fluchel, Doug Barnhart (In Press). Extrapleural Pneumonectomy for Advanced Pleuropulmonary Blastoma. (Epub ahead of print) J Pediatr Surg Case Rep.
- Anne C Kirchhoff, Karely Mann, Echo L Warner, Heydon K Kaddas, Douglas Fair, Mark Fluchel, Elizabeth D Knackstedt, Deanna Kepka (In Press). HPV Vaccination Knowledge, Intentions, and Practices among Caregivers of Childhood Cancer Survivors. (Epub ahead of print) Hum Vaccin Immunother.
- Salim Aljabari, Alfred Balch, Gitte Larsen, Mark Fluchel, Jennifer Workman (2019). Severe Sepsis-Associated Morbidity and Mortality Among Critically Ill Children with Cancer. J Pediatr Intensive Care.
- Anne C Kirchhoff, Karely Mann, Echo L Warner, Heydon K Kaddas, Douglas Fair, Mark Fluchel, Elizabeth D Knackstedt, Deanna Kepka (2019). HPV Vaccination Knowledge, Intentions, and Practices among Caregivers of Childhood Cancer Survivors. Hum Vaccin Immunother.
- Nagelhout ES, Linder L, Austin T, Parsons BG, Scott B, Gardner E, Spraker-Perlman H, Verma A, Fluchel M, Wu YP (12/5/2018). Social media use among parents and caregivers of a child with cancer. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs, 35(6), 399-405.
- Joemy M Ramsay, Judy Y Ou, Mark N Fluchel, Anne C Kirchhoff (Published). Respiratory Emergency Department Utilization from Diagnosis through Survivorship in Children, Adolescents, and Young Adults with Cancer. Cancer, 124(19), 3924-3933.
- Wu YP, Stenehjem DD, Linder LA, Yu B, Parsons BG, Mooney R, Fluchel MN (2018). Adherence to Oral Medications During Maintenance Therapy Among Children and Adolescents With Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: A Medication Refill Analysis. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs, 35(2), 86-93.
- Smits-Seemann RR, Pettit J, Li H, Kirchhoff AC, Fluchel MN (2017). Infection-related mortality in Hispanic and non-Hispanic children with cancer.LID - 10.1002/pbc.26502 [doi]. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 64(9).
- Ou JY, Smits-Seemann RR, Kaul S, Fluchel MN, Sweeney C, Kirchhoff AC (2017). Risk of hospitalization among survivors of childhood and adolescent acute lymphoblastic leukemia compared to siblings and a general population sample. Cancer Epidemiol, 49, 216-224.
- Zamora ER, Kaul S, Kirchhoff AC, Gwilliam V, Jimenez OA, Morreall DK, Montenegro RE, Kinney AY, Fluchel MN (2016). The impact of language barriers and immigration status on the care experience for Spanish-speaking caregivers of patients with pediatric cancer. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 63(12), 2173-2180.
- Eli L Diamond, Omar Abdel-Wahab, Lynn Brody, Maria Arcila, Christian Bowers, Mark Fluchel (08/18/2016). Anakinra as efficacious therapy for intracranial Erdheim-Chester disease. Blood.
- Sapna Kaul, Mark Fluchel, Holly Spraker-Perlman, Christopher Parmeter, Anne Kirchhoff (04/28/2016). Healthcare Experiences of Long-Term Survivors of Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer. Support Care Cancer, 24(6).
- Gina E Nam, Echo L Warner, Deborah K Morreall, Anne C Kirchoff, Anita Y Kinney, Mark Fluchel (03/01/2016). Understanding Psychological Distress Among Pediatric Cancer Caregivers. Support Care Cancer.
- Rochelle R Smits-Seemann, Sapna Kaul, Aimee O Hersh, Mark N Fluchel, Kenneth Boucher, Anne C Kirchhoff (09/29/2015). ReCAP: Gaps in Insurance Coverage for Pediatric Patients With Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. J Oncol Pract, 2, 175-176.
- Sapna Kaul, Kent Korgenski, Jian Ying, Christi F Ng, Rochelle Smits-Seemann, Richard E Nelson, Seth Andrews, Elizabeth Raetz, Mark Fluchel, Richard Lemons, Anne C Kirchhoff (12/29/2015). A retrospective analysis of treatment-related hospitalization costs of pediatric, adolescent, and young adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Med.
- Stieglitz E, Taylor-Weiner AN, Chang TY, Gelston LC, Wang YD, Mazor T, Esquivel E, Yu A, Seepo S, Olsen S, Rosenberg M, Archambeault SL, Abusin G, Beckman K, Brown PA, Briones M, Carcamo B, Cooper T, Dahl GV, Emanuel PD, Fluchel MN, Goyal RK, Hayashi RJ, Hitzler J, Hugge C, Liu YL, Messinger YH, Mahoney DH Jr, Monteleone P, Nemecek ER, Roehrs PA, Schore RJ, Stine KC, Takemoto CM, Toretsky JA, Costello JF, Olshen AB, Stewart C, Li Y, Ma J, Gerbing RB, Alonzo TA, Getz G, Gruber T, Golub T, Stegmaier K, Loh ML (2015). The genomic landscape of juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia. Nat Genet, 47(11), 1326-1333.
- Staddon JH, Smock KJ, Schiffman JD, Fluchel MN, Engel ME, Weyrich AS, Campbell RA (2015). Pegasparaginase treatment alters thrombin generation by modulating the protein C and S system in acute lymphoblastic leukaemia/lymphoma. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis, 26(7), 840-3.
- Nam GE, Kaul S, Wu YP, Nelson RE, Wright J, Fluchel MN, Hacking CC, Kirchhoff AC (2015). A meta-analysis of body mass index of adolescent and adult survivors of pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Cancer Surviv, 9(3), 412-21.
- Sapna Kaul, PhD, Bree Barbeau, Jennifer Wright, MD, Mark Fluchel, MD, Anne C Kirchoff, PhD, MPH and Richard E Nelson, PhD (06/23/2015). Statewide Longitudinal Hospital Utilization and Charges for Childhood and Adolescent Cancer Patients. J Oncol Pract.
- Abraham S, Salama M, Hancock J, Jacobsen J, Fluchel M (11/01//2012). Congenital and childhood myeloproliferative disorders with eosinophilia responsive to imatinib. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 59(5), 928-9.
- Fluchel MN, Kirchhoff AC, Bodson J, Sweeney C, Edwards SL, Ding Q, Stoddard GJ, Kinney AY (2014). Geography and the burden of care in pediatric cancers. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 61(11), 1918-24.
- Echo L Warner, Anne C Kirchhoff, PhD, MPH, Gina E Nam, BS, BA, Mark Fluchel, MD (10/14/2014). The financial burden of pediatric cancer for patients and their families. J Oncol Pract.
- Kirchhoff AC, Fluchel MN, Wright J, Ying J, Sweeney C, Bodson J, Stroup AM, Smith KR, Fraser A, Kinney AY (2014). Risk of hospitalization for survivors of childhood and adolescent cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 23(7), 1280-9.
- Kirchhoff AC1, Montenegro RE, Warner EL, Wright J, Fluchel M, Stroup AM, Park ER, Kinney AY (06/15/2014). Childhood cancer survivors' primary care and follow-up experiences. Support Care Cancer, 22(6).
- Echo Warner, Mark Fluchel, Jennifer Wright, C Sweeney, Kenneth M Boucher, Alison Fraser, Ken R Smith, Antoinette Stroup, Anita Y Kinney, Anne Kirchhoff (01/09/2014). A population-based study of childhood cancer survivors’ body mass index. J Cancer Epidemiol, 2014.
- David Spencer Mangum, Anupam Verma, Cindy Weng, Xiaoming Sheng, Ryan Larsen, Anne C Kirchhoff, Colleen Druzgal, Mark Fluchel (7/19/13). A Comparison of Central Lines in Pediatric Oncology Patients: Early Removal and Patient Centered Outcomes. Pediatr Blood Cancer.
- Kody R Crowell, Raza A Patel, Mark Fluchel, Amy Lowichik, Stacy Bryson, John F Pohl (06/14/2013). Endoscopy in the Diagnosis of Intestinal Graft-Versus-Host Disease: Is Lower Endoscopy With Biopsy as Effective in Diagnosis as Upper Endoscopy Combined with Lower Endoscopy? Pediatr Blood Cancer, 60, 1798-1800.
- Botto LD, Flood T, Little J, Fluchel MN, Krikov S, Feldkamp ML, Wu Y, Goedken R, Puzhankara S, Romitti PA (2013). Cancer risk in children and adolescents with birth defects: a population-based cohort study. PLoS One, 8(7), e69077.
- Kirchhoff AC, Lyles CR, Fluchel M, Wright J, Leisenring W (2012). Limitations in health care access and utilization among long-term survivors of adolescent and young adult cancer. Cancer, 118(23), 5964-72.
- Shirley Abraham, Mohamed Salama, Jeffrey Hancock, Jeffrey Jacobsen, Mark Fluchel (11/1/12). Congenital and childhood myeloproliferative disorders with eosinophilia responsive to imatinib. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 59(5), 4135-42.
- Tellen D Bennett, MD, MS1, Mark Fluchel, MD2, Aimee O Hersh, MD3, Kristen N Hayward, MD, MS4, Adam L Hersh, MD, PhD5, Thomas V Brogan, MD6, Rajendu Srivastava, MD, MPH7, Bryan L Stone, MD, MSCI7, E Kent Korgenski, MT, MS8, Michael B Mundorff, MBA, MHSA9, T Charles Casper, PhD1, and Susan L Bratton, MD, MPH1 (8/8/2012). Macrophage Activation Syndrome in Children with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. Arthritis Rheum.
- Deneau M, Wallentine J, Guthery S, OGorman M, Bohnsack J, Fluchel M, Bezzant J, Pohl JF (09/13/10). Natural killer cell lymphoma in a pediatric patient with inflammatory bowel disease. Pediatrics, 126(4), e977-81.
- Lestini BJ, Goldsmith KC, Fluchel MN, Liu X, Chen NL, Goyal B, Pawel BR, Hogarty MD (2009). Mcl1 downregulation sensitizes neuroblastoma to cytotoxic chemotherapy and small molecule Bcl2-family antagonists. Cancer Biol Ther, 8(16), 1587-95.
- Fluchel MN, Horsman JR, Furlong W, Castillo L, Alfonz Y, Barr RD (2008). Self and proxy-reported health status and health-related quality of life in survivors of childhood cancer in Uruguay. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 50(4), 838-43.
- Castillo L, Fluchel M, Dabezies A, Pieri D, Brockhorst N, Barr R (2001). Childhood cancer in Uruguay: 1992-1994. Incidence and mortality. Med Pediatr Oncol, 37(4), 400-4.
- Warner EL, Mann K, Kaddas HK, Martel L, Pannier S, Knackstedt E, Fair D, Fluchel M, Kepka D, and Kirchhoff AC (3/28/19). Caregiver Intention To Restart Vaccinations After Childhood Cancer Treatment. Prev. Mar;28(3) [Abstract]. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers, 28(3).
- P Romitti, T Flood, M Feldkamp, S Krikov, S Puzhankara, R Goedken, M Fluchel, J Little, L Botto (2010). Cancer Risk in Children with Birth Defects: A Longitudinal, Population-Based Assessment Among 2.7 Million Births [Abstract]. Proceedings of the American Society of Human Genetics Meeting, Washington DC - Nov 2, 2010.
- Liu X, Lin A, Dam V, Goldsmith KC, Fluchel M, Davis K, Pawel B, Karlsson A, Hogarty MD (2006). A model of MycN-initiated neural cell oncogenesis shows a surprising predilection for complete suppression of MycN during progression. [Abstract]. Advances in Neuroblastoma Research.
- Wright J, Goldsmith KC, Liu X, Lin A, Fluchel M, Hamilton A, Hogarty MD (2006). Synthetic small molecule Bak-domain mimics potently induce apoptosis in NB cell lines. [Abstract]. Advances in Neuroblastoma Research.
- Horsman, J, Fluchel M, Fulong, W, Castillo, L, Barr, R (2000). Agreement of Health Utilities Index Scores among survivors of cancer in childhood, their parents and doctors in Uruguay. [Abstract]. ISTAH Conference.
- Horsman J, Fluchel M, Fulong W, Castillo L, Barr R (2000). Agreement of Health Utilities Index Scores among survivors of cancer in childhood, their parents and doctors in Uruguay. [Abstract]. ISTAH Conference.
- Haralson M, Penner E, Fluchel M, DiMari S, Breyer M (1996). Determination of the collagen phenotype of rabbit cortical collecting duct cells in culture. [Abstract]. J Am Soc Nephrol, 7, A2541.
- Kathy Boltz (11/13/12). Social Barriers Impact Care of Hispanic Children with Cancer [Web]. Oncology Nurse Advisor - Haymarket Media inc.. Available: http://www.oncologynurseadvisor.com/social-barriers-impact-care-of-hispanic-children-with-cancer/article/268037/.
- Maria Elena Nevas (10/31/12). Niños hispanos con cáncer en EE.UU.: el impacto de hablar español [Web]. London: BBC Salud. Available: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mundo/noticias/2012/10/121030_cancer_ninios_latinos_men.shtml.
- Editor - Medical News Today (10/30/2012). Care Of Children With Cancer Affected By Language Barriers, Immigration Status Of Hispanic Caregivershttp://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/252134.php [Web]. Medical News today. Available: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/252134.php.
- Dateline NBC (6/1/2006). Dateline Medical Mysteries - Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) [Video]. Philadelphia, PA: NBC.