Marlene J. Egger, PhD
- Mixed Methods
- Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Women's Health
- Maternal and Child Health Public Health
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Professor
- Divisions: Biostatistics, Public Health
Academic Office Information
DFPM/Public Health Division
375 Chipeta Way, Room: Suite A
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
I am a PhD credentialed biostatistician with additional training in clinical quality improvement, health services research, and qualitative and mixed methods (QUAL/QUAN) research. Accomplishments as Professor of Family and Preventive Medicine, include 40 years’ experience in curriculum development, faculty mentorship, and statistical collaboration. I direct the interdepartmental, interdisciplinary MSTAT/Biostatistics track and have served 4 terms as the overall MSTAT program director. I am a Fellow of the American Statistical Association.
Statistical collaboration roles have included service as biostatistician for the Cooperative Systematic Studies of Rheumatic Diseases for nearly two decades and service on the FDA Arthritis Advisory Committee. I directed the DFPM Biostatistics Laboratory, the Biostatistics Core of two PPGs, and the Statistics Center of a multi-center study.
In the mid-1990’s, I developed additional expertise in health services research including coursework in health policy, health economics, medical sociology, clinical quality improvement (CQI), and qualitative and quantitative methodologies; with continuing education in mixed methods (QUAL/QUAN) research.
Grants successfully completed as PI include two HRSA grants in the early 2000s, to develop culturally competent maternal and child health (MCH) workforce enhancement resources and distance learning products such as videos and other electronic media. This included a webcourse on cultural competence in MCH. I also served as evaluator for an MCH leadership grant.
Current research roles are as director of the Biostatistics Core for a PPG on motherhood and pelvic floor health, and simultaneously, as co-principal investigator of one of its projects: a comparative focused ethnography of the cultural context of new motherhood and women’s pelvic floor health. Current interests are centered on women’s pelvic floor disorders, access and quality of healthcare, and health services innovations.
Topics: Women's pelvic floor disorders; health of our aging population; chronic disease; health care access and quality, health services innovations
Methodologies: biostatistics, causal methods, qualitative research methods, mixed and multiple methods (QUAL/QUAN).
|Fellowship||University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
Primary Care / Health Services Research Fellowship
|Doctoral Training||Stanford University
|Graduate Training||Stanford University
- Guinn Dunn, Egger MJ, Janet M Shaw, Jingye Yang, Tyler Bardsley, Emily Powers and Ingrid E Nygaard (). Trajectories of lower back, upper back, and pelvic girdle pain during pregnancy and early postpartum in primiparous women. Womens Health (Lond), 1-8.
- Wolpern AE, Sherwin KJ, Moss WD, Nygaard IE, Egger MJ, Brusseau TA, Shaw JM (2019 Jan). Compliance with wrist-worn accelerometers in primiparous early postpartum women. Heliyon, 5(1), e01193.
- Saltzman HM, Egger MJ, Bardsley T, Ding Q, Shaw JM, Nygaard IE (2018 Apr 28). Differences in Pelvic Floor Symptoms During Pregnancy Between Hispanic and Non-Hispanic White Women.LID - 10.1097/SPV.0000000000000592 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg.
- Saltzman HM, Egger MJ, Bardsley T, Ding Q, Shaw JM, Nygaard I (). Ethnic differences in pelvic floor symptoms during pregnancy. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg, 24(2).
- Lauren Clark, Ana Sanchez Birkhead, Cecilia Fernandez, and Marlene J Egger (). A Transcription and Translation Protocol for Sensitive Cross-Cultural Team Research. Qual Health Res, 27(12), 1751-1764.
- Nygaard, IE, Clark, E, Clark L, Egger, MJ, Hitchcock, R, Hsu, Y, Norton, P, Sanchez-Birkhead, AC, Shaw, JM, Sheng, X, Varner, M (). Physical and cultural determinants of postpartum pelvic floor support and symptoms following vaginal delivery: protocol for a mixed methods prospective cohort study. BMJ Open, 7(1), doi: 10.1136/bm.
- Lu C, Leng J, Cannon G, Zhou X, Egger MJ, South B, Burningham Z, Zeng Q, Sauer B (). The use of natural language processing on narrative medication schedules to compute average weekly dose. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf, 10(1002/pds), 4086.
- Middlekauff ML, Egger MJ, Nygaard IE, Shaw JM (2016 Sep). The impact of acute and chronic strenuous exercise on pelvic floor muscle strength and support in nulliparous healthy women. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 215(3), 316.e1-7.
- Wilson AR, Hashibe M, Bodson J, Gren LH, Taylor BA, Greenwood J, Jackson BR, She R, Egger MJ, Kepka D (). Factors related to HPV vaccine uptake and 3-dose completion among women in a low vaccination region of the USA: an observational study. BMC Womens Health, 16, 41.
- Wilson AR, Hashibe M, Bodson J, Gren LH, Taylor BA, Greenwood J, Jackson BR, She R, Egger MJ, Kepka D (2016 Jul 22). Factors related to HPV vaccine uptake and 3-dose completion among women in a low vaccination region of the USA: an observational study. BMC Womens Health, 16, 41.
- Middlekauff M, Lee W, Egger MJ, Nygaard IE, Shaw JM (2016). Physical activity patterns in healthy middle-aged women. J Women Aging, 28(6), 469-476.
- Coleman TJ, Nygaard IE, Holder DN, Egger MJ, Hitchcock R (2015 Aug). Intra-abdominal pressure during Pilates: unlikely to cause pelvic floor harm. Int Urogynecol J, 26(8), 1123-30.
- Nygaard IE, Shaw JM, Bardsley T, Egger MJ (2015 Jul). Lifetime physical activity and female stress urinary incontinence. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 213(1), 40.e1-10.
- Coleman TJ, Hamad NM, Shaw JM, Egger MJ, Hsu Y, Hitchcock R, Jin H, Choi CK, Nygaard IE (2015 Jul). Effects of walking speeds and carrying techniques on intra-abdominal pressure in women. Int Urogynecol J, 26(7), 967-74.
- Egger MJ, Hamad NM, Hitchcock RW, Coleman TJ, Shaw JM, Hsu Y, Nygaard IE (2015 May-Jun). Reproducibility of intra-abdominal pressure measured during physical activities via a wireless vaginal transducer. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg, 21(3), 164-9.
- Anderton N, Newhouse ME, Ainsworth BE, Nygaard IE, Egger MJ, Shaw JM (2015 Mar). "How Hard Could it Be?" A Descriptive Analysis of Errors Made on a Validated Lifetime Physical Activity Questionnaire. J Phys Act Health, 12(3), 388-94.
- Dunn GE, Hansen BL, Egger MJ, Nygaard I, Sanchez-Birkhead AC, Hsu Y, Clark L (2014 May-Jun). Changed women: the long-term impact of vaginal mesh complications. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg, 20(3), 131-6.
- Nygaard IE, Shaw JM, Bardsley T, Egger MJ (2014 May). Lifetime physical activity and pelvic organ prolapse in middle-aged women. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 210(5), 477.e1-12.
- Shaw JM, Hamad NM, Coleman TJ, Egger MJ, Hsu Y, Hitchcock R, Nygaard IE (2014). Intra-abdominal pressures during activity in women using an intra-vaginal pressure transducer. J Sports Sci, 32(12), 1176-85.
- Hamad NM, Shaw JM, Nygaard IE, Coleman TJ, Hsu Y, Egger M, Hitchcock RW (). More complicated than it looks: The vagaries of calculating intra-abdominal pressure. 2013 Feb 22. [Epub ahead of print]. J Strength Cond Res, 27(11), 3204:15.
- Henderson JW, Wang S, Egger MJ, Masters M, Nygaard I (2013 Jan-Feb). Can women correctly contract their pelvic floor muscles without formal instruction? Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg, 19(1), 8-12.
- Egger MJ, Lukacz ES, Newhouse M, Wang J, Nygaard I (2013 Jan-Feb). Web versus paper-based completion of the epidemiology of prolapse and incontinence questionnaire. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg, 19(1), 17-22.
- Nygaard I, Shaw J, Egger MJ (2012 Jul). Exploring the association between lifetime physical activity and pelvic floor disorders: study and design challenges. Contemp Clin Trials, 33(4), 819-27.
- Saffel-Shrier S, Gunning K, Van Hala S, Lehmann W, Farrell T, Lehmann W, Egger M, Miniclear N (). Residency Redesign to Accommodate Trends in Geriatrics: An RC-FM Variance to Establish a Patient-Centered Medical Home in an Assisted Living Facility. Fam Med, 44(2), 128-31.
- Egger MJ, Day J, Scammon DL, Li Y, Wilson A, Magill MK (2012 Mar-Apr). Correlation of the Care by Design primary care practice redesign model and the principles of the patient-centered medical home. J Am Board Fam Med, 25(2), 216-23.
- Taren DL, Varela F, Dotson JA, Eden J, Egger M, Harper J, Johnson R, Kennedy K, Kent H, Muramoto M, Peacock JC, Roberts R, Sjolander S, Streeter N, Velarde L, Hill A (2011 Oct). Developing a university-workforce partnership to address rural and frontier MCH training needs: the Rocky Mountain Public Health Education Consortium (RMPHEC). Matern Child Health J, 15(7), 845-50.
- Senekjian L, Heintz K, Egger MJ, Nygaard I (2011 Sep). Do Women Understand Urogynecologic Terminology? Journal of Pelvic Medicine and Surgery, 17(5), 215-217.
- Greenwood JL, Narus SP, Leiser J, Egger MJ (2011 May-Jun). Measuring body mass index according to protocol: how are height and weight obtained? J Healthc Qual, 33(3), 28-36.
- Masood SO, Wasmund SL, Akoum NW, Egger MJ, Hsiai T, Hamdan MH (2010 Oct). The effects of rate and rhythm control on blood pressure and antihypertensive drug usage in patients with atrial fibrillation and hypertension enrolled in the AFFIRM trial. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol, 21(10), 1094-8.
- Magill MK, Day J, Mervis A, Donnelly SM, Parsons M, Baker AN, Johnson L, Egger MJ, Nunu J, Prunuske J, James BC, Burt R (2009 Jul-Aug). Improving colonoscopy referral rates through computer-supported, primary care practice redesign. J Healthc Qual, 31(4), 43-52; quiz 52-3.
- Taft LM, Evans RS, Shyu CR, Egger MJ, Chawla N, Mitchell JA, Thornton SN, Bray B, Varner M (2009 Apr). Countering imbalanced datasets to improve adverse drug event predictive models in labor and delivery. J Biomed Inform, 42(2), 356-64.
- Ryser DK, Egger MJ, Horn SD, Handrahan D, Gandhi P, Bigler ED (2005 Jun). Measuring medical complexity during inpatient rehabilitation after traumatic brain injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 86(6), 1108-17.
- Stevens SM, Elliott CG, Chan KJ, Egger MJ, Ahmed KM (2004 Jun 15). Withholding anticoagulation after a negative result on duplex ultrasonography for suspected symptomatic deep venous thrombosis. Ann Intern Med, 140(12), 985-91.
- Mosen D, Elliott CG, Egger MJ, Mundorff M, Hopkins J, Patterson R, Gardner RM (2004 May). The effect of a computerized reminder system on the prevention of postoperative venous thromboembolism. Chest, 125(5), 1635-41.
- Lazarus HM, Fox J, Evans RS, Lloyd JF, Pombo DJ, Burke JP, Handrahan D, Egger MJ, Allen TL, Stevens MH (2003 Feb). Adverse drug events in trauma patients. J Trauma, 54(2), 337-43.
- Allen TL, Stevens MH, Olson LM, Koplin JT, Keddington RK, Chan KJ, Handrahan DL, Egger MJ, Nelson JC (2003). Prevalence of Intimate Partner Abuse and Suicidal Ideation among Women in a Community Emergency Department. Utah's Health: An Annual Review, IX, 56-60.
- Wu J, Egger MJ, Shah G, Haggard L (2001). Ambulatory Care Sensitive Conditions: More than a Measure of Bed Supply. Utah's Health: An Annual Review, VII.
- Wong DW, Egger MJ, White GL (2001). Using Ambulatory care Sensitive Hospitalization Rates in Utah. Utah's Health: An Annual Review, VII.
- Egger MJ, Paita L, Mosen D (2001). Policy Developments in Cultural Competence of Health Care. Utah's Health: An Annual Review, VII.
- Egger MJ, Streeter, N, Varela, F (2001). Highlights of the 2000 Summer Institute on Maternal and Child Health. Utah's Health: An Annual Review, VII.
- Lewis-Younger CR, Mamalis N, Egger MJ, Wallace DO, Lu C (2000 Dec). Lens opacifications detected by slitlamp biomicroscopy are associated with exposure to organic nitrate explosives. Arch Ophthalmol, 118(12), 1653-9.
- Egger MJ, Babitz ME, Bishop M (2000). Urban vs. Rural Physicians' Perceptions of Non-medical Variables Influencing the Decision to Hospitalize Elderly Patients with Ambulatory-Care Sensitive Conditions. Utah's Health: An Annual Review, VI, 19-28.
- Nielson DW, Ku PL, Egger M (2000 Jan). Topical lidocaine exaggerates laryngomalacia during flexible bronchoscopy. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 161(1), 147-51.
- Suruda A, Liu D, Egger M, Lillquist D (1999 Dec). Fatal injuries in the United States construction industry involving cranes 1984-1994. J Occup Environ Med, 41(12), 1052-8.
- Affleck DG, Handrahan DL, Egger MJ, Price RR (1999 Dec). The laparoscopic management of appendicitis and cholelithiasis during pregnancy. Am J Surg, 178(6), 523-9.
- Elliott CG, Dudney TM, Egger M, Orme JF, Clemmer TP, Horn SD, Weaver L, Handrahan D, Thomas F, Merrell S, Kitterman N, Yeates S (1999 Jul). Calf-thigh sequential pneumatic compression compared with plantar venous pneumatic compression to prevent deep-vein thrombosis after non-lower extremity trauma. J Trauma, 47(1), 25-32.
- Williams HJ, Alarcon GS, Joks R, Steen VD, Bulpitt K, Clegg DO, Ziminski CM, Luggen ME, St Clair EW, Willkens RF, Yarboro C, Morgan JG, Egger MJ, Ward JR (1999 Apr). Early undifferentiated connective tissue disease (CTD). VI. An inception cohort after 10 years: disease remissions and changes in diagnoses in well established and undifferentiated CTD. J Rheumatol, 26(4), 816-25.
- Randolph AG, Zollo MB, Egger MJ, Guyatt GH, Nelson RM, Stidham GL (1999 Apr). Variability in physician opinion on limiting pediatric life support. Pediatrics, 103(4), e46.
- Anderson JL, Muhlestein JB, Carlquist J, Allen A, Trehan S, Nielson C, Hall S, Brady J, Egger M, Horne B, Lim T (1999 Mar 30). Randomized secondary prevention trial of azithromycin in patients with coronary artery disease and serological evidence for Chlamydia pneumoniae infection: The Azithromycin in Coronary Artery Disease: Elimination of Myocardial Infection with Chlamydia (ACADEMIC) study. Circulation, 99(12), 1540-7.
- Williams HJ, Alarcon GS, Neuner R, Steen VD, Bulpitt K, Clegg DO, Ziminski CM, Luggen ME, Polisson RP, Willkens RF, Yarboro C, Morgan J, Egger MJ, Ward JR (1998 Feb). Early undifferentiated connective tissue disease. V. An inception cohort 5 years later: disease remissions and changes in diagnoses in well established and undifferentiated connective tissue diseases. J Rheumatol, 25(2), 261-8.
- Egger MJ, Lu C, Kim H (1998). Ambulatory Care Sensitive Conditions in Utah Children and Evaluation of Access to Primary Care. Utah's Health: An Annual Review, V, 50-6.
- Resnick MI, Smith JA Jr, Scardino PT, Egger MJ, Hernandez A, Rose SC (1997 Sep). Transrectal prostate ultrasonography: variability of interpretation. J Urol, 158(3 Pt 1), 856-60.
- Goldsby RE, Morgan JG, Egger MJ, Feusner J (1997 Aug). Lymphoblast morphology in predicting leukemic meningeal relapse with low chamber count and lymphoblasts. Med Pediatr Oncol, 29(2), 98-102.
- Smith JA Jr, Scardino PT, Resnick MI, Hernandez AD, Rose SC, Egger MJ (1997 Mar). Transrectal ultrasound versus digital rectal examination for the staging of carcinoma of the prostate: results of a prospective, multi-institutional trial. J Urol, 157(3), 902-6.
- Gaffney DK, Prows J, Leavitt DD, Egger MJ, Morgan JG, Stewart JR (1997 Jan). Electron arc irradiation of the postmastectomy chest wall: clinical results. Radiother Oncol, 42(1), 17-24.
- Borigini MJ, Egger MJ, Williams HJ, Paulus HE, Ward JR (1996 Dec). TJ-114 (Sairei-To), an Herbal Medicine in Rheumatoid Arthritis. J Clin Rheumatol, 2(6), 309-16.
- Egger MJ, Ward JR, Karg MB, Williams HJ, Reading JC (1995 Mar). Reliability and validity of the CSSRD functional assessment survey in rheumatoid arthritis. Cooperative Systematic Studies of Rheumatic Diseases. Arthritis Care Res, 8(1), 21-7.
- Murray KA, Gamsu G, Webb WR, Salmon CJ, Egger MJ (1995 Feb). High-resolution computed tomography sampling for detection of asbestos-related lung disease. Acad Radiol, 2(2), 111-5.
- Williams HJ, Egger MJ, Singer JZ, Willkens RF, Kalunian KC, Clegg DO, Skosey JL, Brooks RH, Alarcon GS, Steen VD, et al (1994 Aug). Comparison of hydroxychloroquine and placebo in the treatment of the arthropathy of mild systemic lupus erythematosus. J Rheumatol, 21(8), 1457-62.
- Williams HJ, Ward JR, Egger MJ, Neuner R, Brooks RH, Clegg DO, Field EH, Skosey JL, Alarcon GS, Willkens RF, et al (1993 Sep). Comparison of naproxen and acetaminophen in a two-year study of treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Arthritis Rheum, 36(9), 1196-206.
- Danielson C, Lyon JL, Egger M, Goodenough GK (1992 Aug 12). Hip fractures and fluoridation in Utah's elderly population. JAMA, 268(6), 746-8.
- Lyon JL, Egger MJ, Robison LM, French TK, Gao R (1992 May). Misclassification of exposure in a case-control study: the effects of different types of exposure and different proxy respondents in a study of pancreatic cancer. Epidemiology, 3(3), 223-31.
- McNeely LK, Leavitt DD, Egger MJ, Stewart JR (1991 Jul). Dose volume histogram analysis of lung radiation from chest wall treatment: comparison of electron arc and tangential photon beam techniques. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 21(2), 515-20.
- Alarcon GS, Williams GV, Singer JZ, Steen VD, Clegg DO, Paulus HE, Billingsley LM, Luggen ME, Polisson RP, Willkens RF, Yarboro C, Ma K-N, Egger MJ, Williams HJ, Ward JR (1991). Early Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease. I. Early Clinical Manifestation in a Large Cohort of Patients with Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Diseases Compared With Cohorts of Well Established Connective Tissue Disease. J Rheumatol, 18(9), 1332-9.
- Paulus HE, Egger MJ, Ward JR, Williams HJ (1990 Apr). Analysis of improvement in individual rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs, based on the findings in patients treated with placebo. The Cooperative Systematic Studies of Rheumatic Diseases Group. Arthritis Rheum, 33(4), 477-84.
- Tugwell P, Bombardier C, Buchanan WW, Goldsmith C, Grace E, Bennett KJ, Williams HJ, Egger M, Alarcon GS, Guttadauria M, et al (1990 Jan). Methotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis. Impact on quality of life assessed by traditional standard-item and individualized patient preference health status questionnaires. Arch Intern Med, 150(1), 59-62.
- Slattery ML, French TK, Egger MJ, Lyon JL (1989 Dec). Diet and survival of patients with colon cancer in Utah: is there an association? Int J Epidemiol, 18(4), 792-7.
- Pryor M, Slattery ML, Robison LM, Egger M (1989 Apr 15). Adolescent diet and breast cancer in Utah. Cancer Res, 49(8), 2161-7.
- Rowley R, Egger MJ (1988 Nov). Method for probing cells in radiation-induced G2 arrest: demonstration of potentially lethal damage repair. Cell Tissue Kinet, 21(6), 395-403.
- Williams HJ, Ward JR, Dahl SL, Clegg DO, Willkens RF, Oglesby T, Weisman MH, Schlegel S, Michaels RM, Luggen ME, Polisson RP, Singer JZ, Kantor SM, Shiroky JB, Small RE, Gomez MI, Reading JC, Egger MJ (1988). A Controlled Trial Comparing Sulfasalazine, Gold Sodium Thiomalate, and Placebo in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Rheum, 31, 702-13.
- Sapozink MD, Cetas T, Corry PM, Egger MJ, Fessenden P (1988 Jan-Feb). Introduction to hyperthermia device evaluation. Int J Hyperthermia, 4(1), 1-15.
- Pett MA, Vaughan-Cole B, Egger MJ, Dorsey PR (1988). Wrestling Meaning from Interactional Data: an Empirically-Based Strategy for Deriving Multiple Molar Constructs in Parent-Child Interaction. J Behav Assess, 10, 299-318.
- Leonard PA, Clegg DO, Carson CC, Cannon GW, Egger MJ, Ward JR (1987 Dec). Low dose pulse methotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis: an 8-year experience with hepatotoxicity. Clin Rheumatol, 6(4), 575-82.
- Cannon GW, Egger MJ, Ward JR, Blonquist LJ, Collette LB (1987 Feb). Quantitative solid phase fluorescence immunoassay of rheumatoid factor and C-reactive protein in active rheumatoid arthritis. Am J Clin Pathol, 87(2), 223-9.
- Carson CW, Cannon GW, Egger MJ, Ward JR, Clegg DO (1987 Feb). Pulmonary disease during the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with low dose pulse methotrexate. Semin Arthritis Rheum, 16(3), 186-95.
- Sapozink MD, Gibbs FA Jr, Egger MJ, Stewart JR (1986 May). Abdominal regional hyperthermia with an annular phased array. J Clin Oncol, 4(5), 775-83.
- Sapozink MD, Gibbs FA Jr, Egger MJ, Stewart JR (1986 Apr). Regional hyperthermia for clinically advanced deep-seated pelvic malignancy. Am J Clin Oncol, 9(2), 162-9.
- Egger MJ, Huth DA, Ward JR, Reading JC, Williams HJ (1985 Jun). Reduced joint count indices in the evaluation of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum, 28(6), 613-9.
- Sweeney C, Egger MJ (1985 May-Jun). The bias coin design. J Nurse Midwifery, 30(3), 175-7.
- Egger MJ, Coleman ML, Ward JR, Reading JC, Williams HJ (1985 Mar). Uses and abuses of analysis of covariance in clinical trials. Controlled Clin Trials, 6(1), 12-24.
- Williams HJ, Willkens RF, Samuelson CO, Jr, Alarcon GS, Guttadauria M, Yarboro C, Polisson RP, Weiner SR, Luggen ME, Billingsley LN, Dahl SL, Egger MJ, Reading JC, Ward JR (1985). Comparison of Low Dose Oral Pulse Methotrexate and Placebo in the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Rheum, 28, 721-30.
- Meenan RF, Anderson JJ, Kazis LE, Egger MJ, Altz-Smith M, Samuelson CO Jr, Willkens RF, Solsky MA, Hayes SP, Blocka KL, et al (1984 Dec). Outcome assessment in clinical trials. Evidence for the sensitivity of a health status measure. Arthritis Rheum, 27(12), 1344-52.
- Egger MJ, Miller JR (1984 Sep-Oct). Testing for experimental effects in the pretest-posttest design. Nurs Res, 33(5), 306-12.
- Paulus HE, Williams HJ, Ward JR, Reading JC, Egger MJ, Coleman ML, Samuelson CO Jr, Willkens RF, Guttadauria M, Alarcon GS, et al (1984 Jul). Azathioprine versus D-penicillamine in rheumatoid arthritis patients who have been treated unsuccessfully with gold. Arthritis Rheum, 27(7), 721-7.
- Willkens RF, Williams HJ, Ward JR, Egger MJ, Reading JC, Clements PJ, Cathcart ES, Samuelson CO Jr, Solsky MA, Kaplan SB, et al (1984 Apr). Randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial of low-dose pulse methotrexate in psoriatic arthritis. Arthritis Rheum, 27(4), 376-81.
- Williams HJ, Ward JR, Egger MJ, Reading JC, Samuelson CO, Altz-Smith M, Willkens RW, Solsky MA, Hayes SP, Furst D, et al (1984 Mar). Auranofin, gold sodium thiomalate, and placebo in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Cooperative systematic studies of rheumatic diseases. Clin Rheumatol, 3 Suppl 1, 39-50.
- Williams HJ, Furst DE, Dahl SL, Steen VD, Marks C, Alpert EJ, Henderson AM, Samuelson CO, Jr, Dreyfus JN, Weinstein A, MacLaughlin EJ, Alarcon GS, Kaplan SB, Guttadauria M, Luggen ME, Reading JC, Egger MJ, Ward JR (1984). Double-Blind Multicenter Controlled Trial Comparing Topical Dimethyl Sulfoxide and Normal Saline in Treatment of Hand Ulcers in Patients with Systemic Sclerosis. Arthritis Rheum, 28, 308-14.
- Ward JR, Williams HJ, Boyce E, Egger MJ, Reading JC, Samuelson CO Jr (1983 Dec 30). Comparison of auranofin, gold sodium thiomalate, and placebo in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Subsets of responses. Am J Med, 75(6A), 133-7.
- Ward JR, Williams HJ, Egger MJ, Reading JC, Boyce E, Altz-Smith M, Samuelson CO Jr, Willkens RF, Solsky MA, Hayes SP, et al (1983 Nov). Comparison of auranofin, gold sodium thiomalate, and placebo in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. A controlled clinical trial. Arthritis Rheum, 26(11), 1303-15.
- Ward JR, Williams HJ, Reading JC, Egger MJ (1983 Jun). Evaluating slow-acting antirheumatic drug therapies for rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Rheumatol, 2(2), 189-95.
- Williams HJ, Ward JR, Reading JC, Egger MJ, Grandone JT, Samuelson CO, Furst DE, Sullivan JM, Watson MA, Guttadauria M, Cathcart ES, Kaplan SB, Halla JT, Weinstein A, Plotz PH (1983 May). Low-dose D-penicillamine therapy in rheumatoid arthritis. A controlled, double-blind clinical trial. Arthritis Rheum, 26(5), 581-92.
- Stewart JR, Gibbs FA Jr, Lehman CM, Peck JW, Egger MJ (1983 Feb). Change in the in vivo hyperthermic response resulting from the metabolic effects of temporary vascular occlusion. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 9(2), 197-201.
- Ward JR, Williams HJ, Egger MJ, et al (1983). Comparison of Auranofin, Gold Sodium Thiomalate, and Placebo in the Treatment of Progressive Rheumatoid Arthritis. Response by Treatment Duration. Excerpta Med, 115-32.
- Williams HJ, Ward JR, Egger MJ, et al (1983). Comparison of Oral and Parenteral Gold Therapy and Placebo in the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Scand J Rheumatol, 51, 92-99.
- Rom WN, Livingston GK, Casey KR, Wood SD, Egger MJ, Chiu GL, Jerominski L (1983 Jan). Sister chromatid exchange frequency in asbestos workers. J Natl Cancer Inst, 70(1), 45-8.
- Chamberlain EM, Scott JR, Wu JT, Rote NS, Egger MJ (1982 Aug 15). A comparison of acid-elution techniques and alpha-fetoprotein levels for the detection of fetomaternal bleeding. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 143(8), 912-7.
- Miller RG, Halks-Miller M, Egger MJ, Halpern J (1982). Growth Kinetics of Glioma Cells. J Am Stat Assoc, 77, 505-7.
- Cutillo A, Perondi R, Turiel M, Egger MJ, Watanabe S, Renzetti AD Jr (1981 Oct). Reproducibility of multibreath nitrogen washout measurements. Am Rev Respir Dis, 124(4), 505-7.
- Ali E Wolpern, Kyle J Sherwin, Whitney D Moss, Ingrid E Nygaard, Egger MJ, Timothy A Brusseau, Janet M Shaw (). Methods for maximizing wrist-worn accelerometry use in primiparous early postpartum women. J Phys Act Health.
- Simpson GL, Stinson EB, Egger MJ, Remington JS (1981 May-Jun). Nocardial infections in the immunocompromised host: A detailed study in a defined population. [Review]. Rev Infect Dis, 3(3), 492-507.
- Emery DW, Egger MJ (1998). The Emergence of the Microstatistical Paradigm. In Emory D (Ed.), Global Fees for Episodes of Care. New York, NY: Healthcare Financial Management Association.
- Egger MJ (1992). Biostatistical Concepts. In Stein (Ed.), Practice of Urology.
- Bruenger RD Lloyd RD, Egger MJ (1989). The Effects of Age at Time of Exposure on the Distribution and Toxicity of Radium 226 in the Beagle Dog. In Taylor DM, Mays CW, Gerber GB, Thomas RG (Eds.), BIR Report 21: Risks from Radium and Thorotrast. London: British Institute of Radiology.
- Egger MJ, Ward JR, Reading JC, Williams HJ, Wise G (1984). Methodological Advantages of Multi-Institutional Studies. In Lawrence RC, Shulman LE (Eds.), Epidemiology of the Rheumatic Diseases. New York, NY: Gower Medical Publishing Ltd.
- Gomez MI, Egger MJ (1987). Regression Discontinuity Analysis in Clinical Trials. Proceedings of the Biopharmaceutical Section, Alexandria, VA: American Statistical Association.
- Paulus HE, Egger MJ, Ward JR, Williams HJ (1991). Low-dose Prednisone in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients: Placebo Treatment? (Reply to letter) [Letter to the editor]. Arthritis Rheum, 34(4), 502-4.
- Egger MJ, Reading JC (1986 Dec). Uses and abuses of analysis of covariance: further discussion [Letter to the editor]. Controlled Clin Trials, 7(4), 330-1.
- Andrew R Wilson, Mia Hashibe, Lisa H Gren, Chang-Chung Chou, Anna T Gardener, Jessica Greenwood, Brian R Jackson, Rosemary She, Deanna Kepka, Nicole Bailey, Marlene J Egger (). Factors Predicting Human Papillomavirus Vaccination Intention and Uptake: A Meta-analysis and Systematic Review: 325 [Abstract]. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 24(S1), 182.
- Egger MJ, Lukacz ES, Newhouse ME, Wang J, Nygaard IE (). Web vs paper-based completion of the epidemiology of prolapse and incontinence questionnaire (EPIQ) [Abstract]. Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery, 18(5S), S48-S206.
- Stokes SL, Ali M, Egger MJ (1993). ASA Annual Survey of Chapter Activities [Abstract]. Joint Statistical Meetings.
- Ali MM, Egger MJ, Tiahrt KJ (1992). ASA Annual Survey of Chapter Activities [Abstract]. Joint Statistical Meetings.
- Egger MJ, Tiahrt KJ, Foulkes MA (1991). ASA Annual Survey of Chapter Activities [Abstract]. Joint Statistical Meetings.
- Gomez MI, Egger MJ (1987). Regression Discontinuity Analysis in Clinical Trials [Abstract]. Joint Statistical Meetings.
- Egger MJ (1985). Correlated Measures of Disease Outcome in Clinical Trials: Effects of Type I Errors, Sixth Annual Meetings, Society for Clinical Trials [Abstract]. Control Clin Trials, 6, 236.
- Christian PE, Brophy CM, Egger MJ, Taylor A, Moore JG (1984). Variability of Gastric Emptying Time Using Standardized Radiolabelled Meals [Abstract]. J Nucl Med, 25, 28.
- Egger MJ, Willigan JD (1984). An Event-History Analysis of Demographic Change in Renaissance Florence. 1984 Program and Abstracts [Abstract]. Joint Statistical Meetings.
- Egger MJ, Miller JR, Ward JR (1983). Uses and Abuses of Analysis of Covariance in Clinical Trials [Abstract]. Control Clin Trials, 4, 147.
- Egger MJ, Ward JR, Reading JC, Williams HJ, Coleman ML (1982). Evaluation of Summary Indices of Response in Controlled Clinical Trials [Abstract]. Control Clin Trials, 3, 154.
- Egger MJ, Ward JR, Reading JC, Williams HJ, Chiu GL (1981). Variable Dose Strategies: Advantages and Disadvantages [Abstract]. Joint Statistical Meetings.
- Egger, MJ, Sanchez-Birkhead A, Fernandez C, Clark L (). Cultural Attributions of Pelvic Organ Prolapse Causes among Multiparous Midlife Mexican American and European-American Women with Known Prolapse [Abstract]. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 17(1).
- Suruda, AJ, Bloswick, D, Egger M, Wing H, Lillquist D (1998). Fatal Lift-Truck-Related Injuries from Tripover and Rollover.
- Suruda A, Egger M, Liu D (1997). Crane-related Deaths in the U.S. Construction Industry, 1984-94 (D2-97). Washington, DC: The Center to Protect Workers' Rights.
- Egger MJ (1979). Power Transformations to Achieve Symmetry in Quantal Bioassay (Technical Report #47). Stanford University, Division of Biostatistics.
- Egger MJ, Kennedy KI (2001). Maternal and Child Health Training Opportunities at the Rocky Mountain Public Health Education Consortium, videotape/CD [Video]. Available: http://services.tacc.utah.edu/rmphec.