James R. Scott, MD
- Departments: Obstetrics/Gynecology - Adjunct Professor
- Divisions: General OB/GYN
- American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Academic Office Information
School of Medicine
Obstetrics & Gynecology
30 N 1900 E, Room: 2B306
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
James R. Scott, M.D. received his Bachelor of Science and Doctor of Medicine degrees from the University of Iowa where he also completed his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Following a fellowship in Reproductive Immunology at the University of Texas, he returned to the University of Iowa as a faculty member in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. In 1977, he became Professor and Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Utah School of Medicine.
Dr. Scott has received numerous clinical, teaching, and research awards and is an international authority on recurrent miscarriage, pregnancy in transplant patients, and other immunologic problems in obstetrics and gynecology. He has published eight books and over 200 scientific papers. He was listed in Best Doctors in America in 1996 and 1998 and was listed as "One of the Best Doctors for Women", Good Housekeeping Magazine, 1997. He has been active in many national societies and has been President of the University Chairs of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the American Gynecologic and Obstetrical Society and the American Society for Reproductive Immunology. In 2000, he received the Distinguished Scientist Award from the Society of Gynecologic Investigation.
Dr. Scott was the first holder of the H.A. and Edna Benning Presidential Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Utah. After 18 years devoted to developing one of the premier academic Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, he relinquished his Chairmanship. He remains on the faculty and continues to teach and conduct research. Dr. Scott is Co-Editor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology and Editor of Obstetrics & Gynecology, the premier journal of the specialty.
|Other Training||University of Iowa
|Other Training||Harvard Business School
Management for Physician Executives
|Other Training||AAMC Management Course for Chairs of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Management for Physician Executives
|Fellowship||University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
|Residency||University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics
|Fellowship||University of Iowa
|Internship||San Bernardino County Medical Ctr.
|Professional Medical||University of Iowa
|Undergraduate||University of Iowa
- Scott JR (7/23/2012). Vaginal Birth After Cesarean. Obstet Gynecol, 118((2)), 342-50.
- Wing DA, Benner RS, Petersen R, Newcomb R, Scott JR (2010). Differences in editorial board reviewer behavior based on gender. J Womens Health (Larchmt), 19(10), 1919-23.
- Gibson M, Spong CY, Simonsen SE, Martin S, Scott JR (2008). Author perception of peer review. Obstet Gynecol, 112(3), 646-52.
- Scott JR (2008). Improving Systematic Reviews for Clinicians: A Journal Editor's View. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol, 22(Suppl.1), 38-41.
- Dildy GA, Scott JR, Saffer CS, Belfort MA (2006). An effective pressure pack for severe pelvic hemorrhage. Obstet Gynecol, 108(5), 1222-6.
- McKay DB, Josephson MA, Armenti VT, August P, Coscia LA, Davis CL, Davison JM, Easterling T, Friedman JE, Hou S, Larliz J, Lake KD, LIndheimer M, Matas AJ, Moritz MJ, Riely CA, Ross LF, Scott JR, Wagoner LE, Wrenshall L, Adams PL, Bumgardner GL, Fine RN, Goral S, Krams SM, Martinez OM, Tolkoff-Rubin N, Pavlakis M, Scantlebury V (2005). Reproduction and transplantation: report on the AST Consensus Conference on Reproductive issues and transplantation. Am J Transplant, 5(7), 1592-9.
- EmpsonM, Lassere M, Craig J, Scott JR (2005). Prevention of recurrent miscarriage for women with antiphospholipid antibody or lupus anticoagulant. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2, CD002859.
- Porter, TF, Scott JR (2005). Evidence-based Care of Recurrent Miscarriage. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol, 19, 85-102.
- Scott JR (2004). 2004 in review: the pursuit of excellence. Obstet Gynecol, 104(6), 1218-9.
- Overbeke J, ChoiS, Horton R, Mausic A, Schroeder T, Scott JR, Neistadt L (2004). Forming Editorial Boards and Working with them. Science Editor.
- Porter TF, LaCoursiere Y, Scott JR (2006). Immunotherapy for recurrent miscarriage. [Review]. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, (2), CD000112.
- Scott JR (7/23/2012). Pregancy in Transplant Patients. In Queenan JT, Spong CY, Lockwood C (Eds.), Management of High Risk Pregnancies (6th). Boston: Blackwell.
- Scott JR (2012). Vaginal Birth after Cesareanε. In Queenan JT, Hobbins JC, Spong CY (Eds.), Protocols in High Risk Pregnancy (5th). Boston: Blackwell Scientific Publications.
- Scott JR (2009). The management of pregnancy in organ transplant patients. In Belfort M, Cotton D, Dildy G, Hankins G, Phelan JP, Saade G (Eds.), Critical Care Obstetrics (5th Edition, pp. 638-45). Boston, MA: Blackwell Scientific Publications.
- Scott JR (2010). Solving the vaginal birth after cesarean dilemma. Utah Special Educator, 115(6), 1112-3.
- Scott JR (2010). Medical liability reform: it's time. Obstet Gynecol, 115(2 Pt 1), 220.
- Scott JR (2009). Great future for the green journal. Obstet Gynecol, 114(6), 1166-7.
- Scott JR (2009). Magnesium sulfate for neuroprotection: what do we do now? Obstet Gynecol, 114(3), 500-1.
- Scott JR (2009). In defense of case reports. Obstet Gynecol, 114(2 Pt 2), 413-4.
- Scott JR (2009). Evidence-based medicine under attack. Obstet Gynecol, 113(6), 1202-3.
- Scott JR (2008). Annual checkup: the year in review. Obstet Gynecol, 112(6), 1196-7.
- Scott JR (2008). Peripartum bleeding at cesarean delivery: be prepared! Obstet Gynecol, 112(2 Pt 2), 417-8.
- Scott JR (2007). Routine cesarean delivery for preterm infants in cephalic presentation: a note of caution. Obstet Gynecol, 109(5), 1026-7.
- Scott JR (2007). Adapting to the times. Obstet Gynecol, 109(1), 2-3.
- Scott JR (2006). Preventing eclampsia: magnesium sulfate regimens revisited. Obstet Gynecol, 108(4), 824-5.
- Scott JR (2006). Cesarean delivery on request: where do we go from here? Obstet Gynecol, 107(6), 1222-3.
- Spong CY, Scott JR (2004). Introducing the "Level of Evidence" to Obstetrics and Gynecology. Obstet Gynecol, 103, 1-2.
- Pitkin RM, Scott JR (2004). Evaluating gynecological surgical procedures: trials and tribulations. JAMA, 291(12), 1503-4.